Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,506 Members 39,581 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] Encryption Unsuccessful - Reset Android [ICS Issue]

Tip us?

Demetris
Old
(Last edited by Demetris; 22nd April 2012 at 04:21 AM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,465

DONATE TO ME
I was also on AOKP and MTP.
Vibrant phone.

Sorry for posting wrong info

jeff.leonard
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by demetris_I View Post
I was also on AOKP and UMS.
Vibrant phone.
Are you saying you were on AOKP configured to use USB Mass Storage instead of MTP and still got hit with this problem? Also, was it the real issue as in internal storage completely not mountable and not able to be fixed?
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff.leonard For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Demetris
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,465

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.leonard View Post
Are you saying you were on AOKP configured to use USB Mass Storage instead of MTP and still got hit with this problem? Also, was it the real issue as in internal storage completely not mountable and not able to be fixed?
Corected, was sleepy when typed.
Correct internal storage completely not mountable and not able to be fixed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Demetris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jeff.leonard
Old
(Last edited by jeff.leonard; 22nd April 2012 at 04:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by demetris_I View Post
Corected, was sleepy when typed.
Correct internal storage completely not mountable and not able to be fixed.
Glad to see it was actually MTP and not UMS; I almost changed my mind about trying it again.

OK not glad that it happened to you; thanks for the updated info though.

Woody
Old
Moderator & RC/RT Committees - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron
Thanks Meter 8,886
Nice catch Jeff and thanks for the clarification D.

OK so it could be said that the general consensus is the mounting to PC and MTP causes the error to be thrown. Correct? Are we all in agreement here?

If so then we have two directions we need to follow.

First, we need to find out WHY it happens. It there something in the build or default.prop that triggers it when unmounting? Or is it something else.

Second, we need to find a "real" fix for this. Not that repartitioning the external is a bad idea but getting the internal back is better. If we can wipe the internal, will it also wipe the encrypted data? How can we mount the internal so that we can get to the point of wiping? Does this rely on what we find in the first issue of why it happens? How far are we going to have to drill down to find the root (no pun intended) cause?

I suggest anyone who wants to help to start reading up on how MTP was created and implemented into ICS. I will read as much as I can but I am going to need some help. Really need someone with a bunch of ADB experience. I can hold my own, but I fear this might be a Pandora's box.

Keep in touch
Wood
<a href=http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif target=_blank rel=nofollow >http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif</a>
ZFFZ

I GPL I

"The work of men of genius, however wrongly directed, hardly ever fails to open the eyes of men to new possibilities."
- Dr. Victor Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

raz123
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Vibrant users: MTP may be the culprit in your cases. I suggest you create a thread under your forum.

Captivate users: My Captivate, as well as others', threw the error at random. No PC, no MTP, no fanciness. In my case, I pulled my captivate out of my pocket and the error was there.

AFAIK, the internal SD (mmc0/movinand) won't be resuscitated by any Android/OS fixes, as it was confirmed "defective" by the SBL, a set of factory tools, built-in the phone, that is independent of the OS.

Good luck

jeff.leonard
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz123 View Post
Captivate users: My Captivate, as well as others', threw the error at random. No PC, no MTP, no fanciness. In my case, I pulled my captivate out of my pocket and the error was there.
I felt the same as you originally and thought it was random. I pulled my Captivate out of my pocket and found it locked up; I restarted and got the error. However, I had connected to my laptop using MTP the night before and not rebooted until the lock up occurred. If you look into our theory you will notice the error won't show up until the next reboot. Therefore I would ask you to think back and see if you had connected to a PC between your last reboot and pulling your phone out of your pocket to find this problem.

I am really interested in your answer because I am installing Dark Knight 4 in a few minutes with a plan to not connect to my PC after. This is my last working Captivate and I would like to keep it that way; however I just can't resist ICS!

Please let me know, after thinking about it, if you still feel it was random or had you connected to a PC between your last reboot and the lock/crash/reboot with the error?

Quote:
AFAIK, the internal SD (mmc0/movinand) won't be resuscitated by any Android/OS fixes, as it was confirmed "defective" by the SBL, a set of factory tools, built-in the phone, that is independent of the OS.
I certainly agree there is no easy fix and would likely require removing the memory chip from the board to fix it; if that would even work.

Woody
Old
Moderator & RC/RT Committees - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron
Thanks Meter 8,886
Quote:
Vibrant users: MTP may be the culprit in your cases. I suggest you create a thread under your forum.

We have one created already but since the Cappy and Vibrant are extremely similar, the Encryption Error is identical and the post-error work around comes from this thread, we have been collaborating for the past week, seemed to make sense to centralize our efforts.

Good Luck in your efforts and see you around. If you need us, you know where to find us. Any and all information that I find will now be on our fora.

Later.
<a href=http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif target=_blank rel=nofollow >http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif</a>
ZFFZ

I GPL I

"The work of men of genius, however wrongly directed, hardly ever fails to open the eyes of men to new possibilities."
- Dr. Victor Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)

jeff.leonard
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Woodrube, I agree that the problem is identical on Vibrant & Captivate. I think it is great to have a central forum and would like it if you stayed around here, please!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jeff.leonard For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shaker2k
Old
Thanks Meter 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.leonard View Post
Woodrube, I agree that the problem is identical on Vibrant & Captivate. I think it is great to have a central forum and would like it if you stayed around here, please!
I agree

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium
Nexus 5
Nexus 10
Galaxy s 3

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shaker2k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
captivate, encryption, galaxy s, ics