Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,098 Members 46,404 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][2.3+][V3.1.1] BETA! | utter! | Your OFFLINE voice controlled personal assistant

Tip us?

mistermentality
Old
Thanks Meter 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcallas View Post
Brandall, have you taken a look at Vlingo? I believe it has a function when docked that it is listening and commands are triggered by starting commands with "hey Vlingo ". Utter should be rare enough to begin commands.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA
I think Brandalls point is that every single sound would be picked up and sent to google thinking it was voice data and therefore eat up the users data allowance and quite possibly eat up a lot of cpu time thus draining the battery.

Dave

Sent from my LG P920 using Tapatalk

jonas2295
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2412

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermentality View Post
I think Brandalls point is that every single sound would be picked up and sent to google thinking it was voice data and therefore eat up the users data allowance and quite possibly eat up a lot of cpu time thus draining the battery.

Dave

But you could possibly add this feature later, brandall

You could warn the user that the CPU will used and use much more data.
Not as standard feature but as extra feature as it seems a pretty cool feature.

Like you are lying in your bed and listening to music or just chilling without music(maybe phone is playing music from dockspeaker) and you put your phone in this let's say mode.
And you would just want to stop the music or change the title.

Have to admit that music shouldn't be too loud so that utter can hear you but this just my opinion

Checking this thread everyday and following your progress and huge motivation.

Sent from my Leedroid powered HTC One X

You want 20gb free cloud storage ?
use my referral link and you get them right away at copy.com !
Thanks!

vcallas
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermentality View Post

Dave

I believe in Vlingo that is not the case. It has that wake up phrase stored locally, and does not need to search until after the wake up phrase is spoken.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA

Dronoti
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Excellent app! The voice is very nice)

brandall
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4520

DONATE TO ME
Hi folks, 17 hours straight today... Coding the basics of the global time/ weather was pretty easy - Then I realised that you were no doubt all going to make requests for places that didn't exist... The hardened testers that you are...

That bit has proved difficult....!

Back to it again after a few hours sleep - will catch up on your comments tomorrow.

Sent from XDA premium app
Devices: Desire|Wildfire|Sensation|Flyer|SIII|Hudl|N4|7|10

Tasker: The Ultimate Noob/Beginners Guide

Memotion:
Latest BETA Build Here: V1.1.7B

utter! Latest Play Store Build Here: V3.1.1B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinasintunes View Post
Ohhhhh @brandall Ohhhh @brandall you're the best doo dum dee dee doooooo dummmmm

99problemz
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rygo View Post
Guess what I was thinking was to have 2 modes one where u click and talk to it then it could go back to sleep and 1 that u could click and it would stay live till switched off and I would think that if u had so to listen you could just say (Android ,answer phone) or to be able to set your word for phone to get its command ? Don't know if that would be possible or extremely hard. Thanks for your hard work and listing to peoples opinions. Sure to be a great app!
Dou you mean like a wakeup command?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rygo
Old
(Last edited by rygo; 22nd April 2012 at 03:45 AM.)
Thanks Meter 10
Yes and no ,so when u start utter you can have two modes basically that u could be in,one that you would hit a button say its called (utter) and with that you say your command and it would do that then time itself out and sleep if u issue no more commands so if I just wanted to use it to get weather directions what not I don't have to worry about data usage or batter drain .
Then another command (another button)say its (personal assistant) it'll stay alive till you close it.I guess I am thinking I am driving for 3 hours.I could go to keep it alive then whenever I wanted something I could say whatever word it takes to trigger it to pay attention (utter wake up ,call someone for me or I need directions to Verizon and Pizza hut.

I hate auto correct time to disable it.lol

freak4dell
Old
Thanks Meter 183
I need to run a stress test on Vlingo and see how much battery drain and data it uses up. If, like someone said earlier, the wakeup command is stored locally, then data usage is not an issue. Battery usage certainly would be no matter what, but typically, if you have Vlingo set to listen for a wakeup command, you probably have the device plugged in.

Vlingo works exactly as rygo described his vision of utter! running. It normally uses a button to trigger listening for input, but you can turn on the wakeup command feature, and it will listen for that command so you don't have to press the button anymore.

rygo
Old
Thanks Meter 10
OK now I got a go try it see if that's what I was thinking.lol

---------- Post added at 04:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 AM ----------

Ya that's pretty close only I was picturing 2 big buttons in center.damn I may have had a good idea,maybe a little to late but o well.

mahootzki
Old
Thanks Meter 166
Because im a lot on this forum and we are like a small utter! Family, I decided to share my good news with all. My wife delivered an adorable little girl last night!
All tabs seem in order on her...

Sent from the heart of my bottom.. er.. bottom of my heart!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mahootzki For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
android, command, speech, utter, voice assistant