5,604,219 Members 49,194 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why wifi may use more battery? screen shots inside...

Tip us?

JohnCorleone
Old
Thanks Meter 5707

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by studdmufin View Post

Wifi on all night using cm9 alpha 3

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA Premium App
Well now...that's what I like to see!! Thanks. Oh and what kernel and modem are you using?

Sent from either ET4G or NS4G using Xparent Tapatalk 2

qwerty12601
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Those are the kinds of results I'm getting with Blazer 4.1/el29. I'm losing about 1%/hr with the screen off and at idle.

BUT, I am using juice defender and it shuts the wifi off.

zanderman112
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 1839

DONATE TO ME
I'm going to test this myself on my Epic 4G running CM9 beta2 later.

Same conditions, 10 minutes screen off, wifi on, no sync.

~ E.R.A.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Click banner for my Twitter^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<---- I now have a PayPal donate link right over there <----
If you don't wan't to straight up donate via PayPal, these Amazon.com virtual giftcards are always appreciated

My Devices:

Sprint Galaxy S3 on Stock Deodexed MB1+Multi-View mod
OUYA 1st Gen on Stock Rooted JZ054L-Ouya
HP Touchpad on patched up webOS 3.0.5 & CyanogenMod 10.1
Samsung Epic 4G on CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies

cnstarz
Old
Thanks Meter 587
i would like to add that 10 minute tests like this will accomplish nothing because they're simply not accurate. to get an accurate indicator, try testing while you're sleeping for 7-8 hours, like others have done in this thread.

TeamERA
Old
(Last edited by TeamERA; 22nd April 2012 at 12:15 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 309
First let me thank all of you, Im glad to have some back and forth conversation on this matter. What I am displaying in the OP is that there is some sort of wake lock before wifi is turned off when screen is off, so if you are constantly turning your screen on to view the time, or look at the home screen (anything really that dosnt involve pulling data) while wifi is on, you will use more battery; This may be ICS related, if anything its leak related, since our cm9 uses the leaked kernels.

And thanks John, Im sure the source will fix this if they dont have it fixed at the time of OTA.

@studdmufin, I hope you can see what Im trying to say, as Im not saying one way or the other that wifi/3g is better in standby for times when the phone is idle more than the time it takes for the "turn wifi off when screen off" kicks in; Im only saying that it keeps the phone awake 40% longer in that 10 minute window, so this will harm battery life.

@cnstarz, 10 minutes is a perfect time frame in this case, I think the reason why has been explained in this post.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamERA For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

coiledwire
Old
Thanks Meter 692

DONATE TO ME
The OP provides interesting data. From his screenshots, wifi is a bigger load on the cpu. Even if wifi uses less battery than 3g, this cpu usage looks a place for improvement.

Sent from my SPH-D710
If you typed thanks, you should also press "thanks".

TEAM MiK
Since 2/16/11

Search. Read. Learn. Become a productive member.

studdmufin
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCorleone View Post
Well now...that's what I like to see!! Thanks. Oh and what kernel and modem are you using?

Modem fd05 and fd10 kernel (I'll probably try out fd19 modem soon cause I hear good things). I'll also will try just 3g tonight and compare the difference

studdmufin
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I don't see the use in turning wifi off when screen is off. Wifi drains less when idle because it doesn't have to search for signal plus it is faster and you don't need to wait for it to turn on when your screen turns on

JohnCorleone
Old
Thanks Meter 5707

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by studdmufin View Post
I don't see the use in turning wifi off when screen is off. Wifi drains less when idle because it doesn't have to search for signal plus it is faster and you don't need to wait for it to turn on when your screen turns on

I am not turning mine off at all anymore. On FD16 mine reconnects when I get as close as 3 houses away now!

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnCorleone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]