Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,422 Members 43,384 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why buy an unlocked phone over a carrier phone?

Tip us?

ttm94
Old
Thanks Meter 7
buying a carrier branded phone over unlocked doesn't really matter if your going to root and flash custom roms because carrier bloat ware will almost always be removed and the device unlocked

adelmundo
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitizenx View Post
It depends on how you look at it. The voice option is fine. It's 450 anytime minutes but ALL mobile to ANY mobile calls are free 24/7. Plus you get 5000 nights and weekends minutes for $30. That's not bad. I'm not sure how you would do better. I have roll over minutes accruing every month.

The text thing is a luxury. You don't need it. If you can make free phone calls to any mobile any time why text? It's just a mindset.

The data thing is okay. It's a little steep for 300mb. Considering for $10 more I can get unlimited data I feel $20 for 300mb is a bit much. I kind of like the idea of unlimited data but I don't need it.

I can get buy with $30 voice plan and $20 data. If someone really wants to type me a message they can email or IM. I'll get those just fine.
If you really need text, there are free ways to get text, such as using Google Voice or WhatsApp. Problem though is MMS, since they don't really support it, but I'm sure in the future they will get it sorted out.

Sent from my GT-N7000 Samsung Galaxy Note "Go big or go home" using XDA app

sitizenx
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttm94 View Post
buying a carrier branded phone over unlocked doesn't really matter if your going to root and flash custom roms because carrier bloat ware will almost always be removed and the device unlocked
This isn't true. I've flashed ROMs onto multiple phones. It doesn't unlock them in my experience. You typically have to enter an unlock code or go through a specific unlocking procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelmundo View Post
If you really need text, there are free ways to get text, such as using Google Voice or WhatsApp. Problem though is MMS, since they don't really support it, but I'm sure in the future they will get it sorted out.
The thing is I don't NEED text messaging. It's nice but not for $20 a month particularly when I've got a data plan now for $20 a month as well. Only a few people consistently send me texts. I've explored both those options and decided it's less cumbersome to just use email. My work never communicates with me via text. I can live without it. And if there is an emergency I can receive texts for something like 20 cents a message. In any given month I will never get to $20 doing that. The bulk of my text messages are really pointless.
Nokia Lumia 900
Let me get this straight you don't have a phone with this OS. You don't like this OS, but yet you are always hanging out in this OS' forum.

iregret
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by newter55 View Post
Unbranded phone=$10 unlimited data on at&t.
and how's this possible?

@topic. unlock phones + prepaid sim = savings. though you have to pay up front a huge amount of money for the phone.

carrier phones cost less to let you think you bought the phone for a cheaper price, but you'll be on contract for 2 years. alot can happen in 2 years.

lichong000000
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default The string you entered for the image verification did not match what was displayed

The machine can be installed because unlock third party ROM

james11417
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by iregret View Post
and how's this possible?

@topic. unlock phones + prepaid sim = savings. though you have to pay up front a huge amount of money for the phone.

carrier phones cost less to let you think you bought the phone for a cheaper price, but you'll be on contract for 2 years. alot can happen in 2 years.
It's true. I have a SGS and $10 unlimited on ATT. $15 if I didn't have the family unlimited messaging plan. Going to get the sgs3 when it comes out
jianC Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm using a debranded carrier phone (HTC Dream) + prepaid sim. Huge savings lol

OniV2
Old
Thanks Meter 93
I generally go for an international unlocked phone because it allows me to use what is generally labelled as a 'post-paid' (contract) smartphone in Australia with a pre-paid service. Otherwise, my selection on pre-paid is extremely minimal.
Current Device: Google Nexus 4 (GSM/HSPA+)
Rev. 10 | CM10.1 Nightlies | CM10.1 Kernel | CWM Touch 6.0.2.3

dlmx
Old
(Last edited by dlmx; 24th April 2012 at 10:07 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2
my biggest reason, is the contract. Those huge discounts come with a huge termination fee if you want to bail in the future. Just my 2 cents.

I am using a T-Mobile SGS2 unlocked with Straight Talk using the BYOD AT&T sim. Got the phone cheap, no contract and service works great, plus i am saving a ton every month over a standard AT&T postpaid line.

Vip3R85
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm using a debranded carrier phone and a prepaid sim. Huge savings thus the phone was nearly 10cents