OP Lokifish Marz

21st April 2012, 10:49 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars
Thanks Meter: 3,282

2,891 posts
Donate to Me
More
I am now personally hosting the site but may have lost the original domain name. All Imperium services and ROMUpdater servers are now gone and the new site is very limited. I now no longer personally host any files and have found a third party service that pays me per download. The following projects are now dead:
  • WebTop enable devices TabletDock
  • WebTop enable devices CarPC
  • Remote Access ROM Development Service
  • Anything Galaxy Tab
  • Anything GS2
  • Anything G2X
  • Anything not Photon related

The Martian Imperium site is now closed and in the process of being purged. In all likelihood there will be no new website and unless somebody here has a copy, all the files will disappear as well. iPage was the cheapest host I could find for the bandwidth users were pulling (500GB-1TB a month and over 1000 DL's a day). In addition to my own work, I was hosting all the SBF's, some high demand older ROMs and kernels, root-unlock-relock and other Photon related files.

I looked at alternate places to host but Mediafire would cost almost ten times as much and dropbox almost three times as much just to host files. I even covered the site in ads to help cover expenses with no real success. The core factor was that my wife and I went over the receipts yesterday and I have spent something like $1000USD this year in equipment and hosting. If I had received a $0.01 donation (after paypal takes it's cut) for every unique download I actually would have made money and been able to continue development. There were many things I had planned to release this year but as it stands I am leaving development and guide writing.

To those that have donated to me in the past I'm very sorry about this and will return your donations if you would like.
Last edited by Lokifish Marz; 24th April 2012 at 01:40 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lokifish Marz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2012, 11:36 PM   |  #2  
Akron
Thanks Meter: 271

1,659 posts
More
Thank you for the explanation, and all you've done. The sad fact is most don't send donations. Over the years that I've been on xda, I've only done it a half dozen times. I'm sure I should have done it more. I know development won't get you rich, but it shouldn't cost you. Thanks again for all you've done. Webtop and imperium are the ****!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
22nd April 2012, 12:34 AM   |  #3  
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars

2,891 posts
Donate to Me
More
What started all this was a "We need to have a talk" email from my host. They had been very forgiving about the bandwidth usage but had enough and it was upgrade to business class service or leave. Meanwhile this is what I was working....

Remote Access Development Services. It's only a proof of concept at this stage but it's free to any dev that wants it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lokifish Marz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2012, 01:11 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 75

653 posts
I actually might be able to help you out if you think you can keep it below a TB a month.

Let me know and Ill go back and check my usage to see how much bandwidth I have left over. I think I get 2 TB a month and I dont believe Im quite using one.
Last edited by MadFlava; 22nd April 2012 at 02:51 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadFlava For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2012, 05:23 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 4

25 posts
I can help you out in the hosting department. My hosting is unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth per month. I use IX web hosting. If you would like, I'll throw your files up on my site so that anyone that needs them and get them... I can upload them and you can hotlink to them...

Let me know... I'm not able to donate $$$ (due to the fact that i don't have much myself) but I can donate space and bandwidth. The Photon 4G needs good developers, and I'd hate to see you go...
22nd April 2012, 05:32 AM   |  #6  
Saint Chuck
Thanks Meter: 170

803 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by phqchevys

I can help you out in the hosting department. My hosting is unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth per month. I use IX web hosting. If you would like, I'll throw your files up on my site so that anyone that needs them and get them... I can upload them and you can hotlink to them...

Let me know... I'm not able to donate $$$ (due to the fact that i don't have much myself) but I can donate space and bandwidth. The Photon 4G needs good developers, and I'd hate to see you go...

Most unlimited hosting plans. Will freak out after a tb a month.

Sent from my mopho
22nd April 2012, 05:47 AM   |  #7  

25 posts
Just trying to help out...

But, you might want to check out there policies. There unlimited is truly unlimited... according to their TOS. That's why I went with them. Currently I have 5.91GB of used space and 518GB of bandwidth used this month... about average for me...
22nd April 2012, 07:16 AM   |  #8  
Flag North Carolina
Thanks Meter: 213

891 posts
More
That's some BS right there. I've never used any of your work, but I've seen you around. (I have an Electrify, I can't use a lot of Photon stuff. Plus it's locked... 2.3.5.)

Seems like there should be a way, in this day and age, to croudsource the files somehow. Multiple dropboxes/sugar syncs/box.nets, or a torrent with a bunch of us hosting all the files. In fact if you can get just a few people with fast Internet at home to leave their BitTorrent client running, seeding your torrent, people could get that just as fast as they could from direct download. Linux uses BitTorrent, couldn't you do something like that? Hell, I only have 1.5MBit DSL, which lets me upload about 30kB/s before web browsing starts to lag, but I'd help seed. I don't have a Photon, but Electrify development kind of depends on Photon development.

Best of luck to you.
22nd April 2012, 08:52 AM   |  #9  
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars

2,891 posts
Donate to Me
More
To All,

I appreciate the offers for file hosting but as the number of projects increase so would the bandwidth. The main source for the, to be honest, leeching is from locations outside xda. For example, China is responsible for a very large portion of it and have found hotlinking of my files in a couple of sites.

I was able to sell of some things today and have buyers lined up for others. I may be able to continue but at a much slower rate and will have to kill a number of pending projects.

I have found a possible solution but have had to kill a number of services. It also involves a very limited access website and file hosting has been moved to a service suggest to me by one of my users in Russia. I don't know how well this will work out as I will have to remove the update service from all future releases.

Please try the new site and let me know if it works. For now it's just a copy of the old site with a bunch of broken stuff. Unlike the old site, live site updates are now impossible and can only handle a limited number of connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Reality

That's some BS right there. I've never used any of your work, but I've seen you around. (I have an Electrify, I can't use a lot of Photon stuff. Plus it's locked... 2.3.5.)

Seems like there should be a way, in this day and age, to croudsource the files somehow. Multiple dropboxes/sugar syncs/box.nets, or a torrent with a bunch of us hosting all the files. In fact if you can get just a few people with fast Internet at home to leave their BitTorrent client running, seeding your torrent, people could get that just as fast as they could from direct download. Linux uses BitTorrent, couldn't you do something like that? Hell, I only have 1.5MBit DSL, which lets me upload about 30kB/s before web browsing starts to lag, but I'd help seed. I don't have a Photon, but Electrify development kind of depends on Photon development.

Best of luck to you.

You can say it's BS but there were a lot of things on the site the most free services do not allow. In addition to the site itself it had live support chat, a forum, an update server (think ROM Manager) as well as the entire Photon file archive and my own projects.

Multiple file hosting accounts makes file management a job unto itself. Torrents have been tried before with very little success.

Like I mentioned above, I have found a possible solution that may or may not work out but have had to kill a number of services.
Last edited by Lokifish Marz; 22nd April 2012 at 11:33 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lokifish Marz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2012, 02:57 PM   |  #10  

25 posts
I will be more than happy to do something as simple as setting you up a ftp server. You would have full access to your personal "ftp folder" on my hosting server... If interested, PM me and ill set it up...

Sent from my MoPho using the Official XDA Android App

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread