5,596,354 Members 38,901 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why FroYo Kernel?

Tip us?

julianpaul
Old
(Last edited by julianpaul; 22nd April 2012 at 01:21 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Default Why FroYo Kernel?

I have one question.

Why use the froyo kernel at all?

Upgrading ALL defy/defy+s to the latest (rootable, 1321 or 139 preferred for simpler root) 2.3.6 GB kernel would simplify rom/kernel development for the devs. Since more and more defy+s are in use they can simply drop development for the froyo kernels and focus on the GB kernel, since now all defys, whether the old one or + would be running 2.3.6. Any current devs (if they want to retain current status) would just have to switch to GB kernel support for their rom once and keep it that way.

vap_66
Old
Thanks Meter 511
Because the SOC module (green lens) is compatible only with the Froyo kernel.
Upgrading to the Gingerbread kernel means that the camera will be unusable for those Defys.
Forgot to add: Having a locked bootloader sucks.

Trimis de pe Defy CM9
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vap_66 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

julianpaul
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
So all defys are not equally upgradable to GB (kernel)?

What kinda BS policies are these from Moto? Locked BL they have their reasoning about not wanting users to hard-brick the phones, but what reason to not allow officially updating to GB for ALL defys?

vap_66
Old
Thanks Meter 511
Unfortunately, no, not all Defys can be upgraded to the Gingerbread kernel and still be fully functional (exception being the Greenbread mod). And the devs can't do anything about it because of the locked bootloader.
Regarding Motorola and it's policies - it's all about the money. Outdated phone -> unhappy people -> they buy a new, updated phone -> happy Motorola.

Trimis de pe Defy CM9
The Following User Says Thank You to vap_66 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

burton.hawk
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Using Froyo makes sense for those, who want to keep the warranty and have to stick to the highest officialy available version. I had to update because CM roms work only with Froyo upwards.
The Following User Says Thank You to burton.hawk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rogier666
Old
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by vap_66 View Post
Outdated phone -> unhappy people -> they buy a new, updated phone -> happy Motorola.
They buy a new, updated phone from someone else. By keeping the Defy stuck on Froyo they've made a lot of people decide never to buy any product from Motorola again.
android underground

S4 Mini, Galaxy Tab, Moto Defy (rooted, overclocked, undervolted, firewalled, adblocked, cyanogenmodded, xposed, etc.)
and a couple of ancient Symbian phones (hacked)

kingdragonfly
Old
Thanks Meter 0
that is true. the bl lock stops us from changing kernel.

Sent from my MB525 using xda premium

fdm1971
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This means that there is Froyo source, but not the driver source for the green lens ?

At this moment, if I want to improve my Defy (green lens, original Froyo 2.2.2), what firmware is the best?
It should support everything (3G, 2G, HSDPA, WI-FI, camera for both photos and video recordings, GPS, sensors and so on).

I'm a newbie and for me it's a bit confusing to see a mod called, e.g., "[ICS] CM9 Android 4.0.4 for the Defy (Froyo kernel)" (there are others, this is only the first I've found... )

ICS is ICS, Froyo is Froyo.
What I gain and what I loose with an ICS "Froyo Kernel"?
Is it ICS or Froyo painted with ICS dust ?

fdm1971
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vap_66 View Post
Because the SOC module (green lens) is compatible only with the Froyo kernel.
Upgrading to the Gingerbread kernel means that the camera will be unusable for those Defys.
Well, I've just upgraded to WIUI 2.4.20 (GB) and now I've GingerBread (2.3.7) full working.
My Defy has a green lens and the camera is working, both for photos and videos.
Have I missed something about the thread?

rogier666
Old
Thanks Meter 114
Are you sure WIUI changed your kernel? ROMs and kernels can play mix'n'match.
android underground

S4 Mini, Galaxy Tab, Moto Defy (rooted, overclocked, undervolted, firewalled, adblocked, cyanogenmodded, xposed, etc.)
and a couple of ancient Symbian phones (hacked)