[PORT] Ubuntu 11.10 Native (Alpha 0.0.4)

OP BodenM

15th April 2012, 08:33 AM   |  #491  
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 622

612 posts
More
https://gitorious.org/freedreno/

Open-source Adreno driver! Just announced on Slashdot, I really hope we can make use of this! If it does work, the possibilities are endless...Unity 3D, Cinnamon, Compiz...it will be a real, useful system!

Anyways, just thought it was worth pointing out. I don't have much time as I'm finishing up my senior year of college now, but I will try integrating this hopefully after I graduate and have some free time. May need kernel modifications, which would make it a bit more difficult as I haven't done TouchPad kernels before. Hopefully other developers will pick it up and give it a shot as well.

EDIT:

I compiled and installed the freedreno driver, it appears to load successfully starting X but fails to open a DRM device and thus X does not work. I'm going to look into it, might be a kernel issue, there's an IRC for freedreno drivers I'll hang out on for info.

EDIT AGAIN!

Our kernel may not have DRM enabled (this is the accelerated video protocol DRM, not the stupid anti-user software lockout DRM). I haven't compiled my own Ubuntu kernel for TouchPad before, anyone have a .config to play with? I also would like to try compiling the 3.0 kernel for Ubuntu, apparently most things are working on it but it still has issues in Android.

AND AGAIN!

I've compiled a 3.0 kernel with DRM support and have framebuffer console working. It appears to get stuck in the boot process. I would like to know where the ramdisk we use for Ubuntu came from. This likely has some issues that need to be resolved to work correctly with the 3.0 kernel. I may look at the ramdisk from the ArchLinux port. New modules will need to be built for WiFi, but for now I'll focus on getting the GUI back up and hopefully with acceleration.
Last edited by CalcProgrammer1; 16th April 2012 at 08:02 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CalcProgrammer1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th April 2012, 09:10 AM   |  #492  
Arkansas
Thanks Meter: 66

313 posts
More
Awesome news bro! Wish I could help. Good luck!
16th April 2012, 03:33 PM   |  #493  
Thanks Meter: 4

97 posts
More
Ivr been trying to install this for the past week... I've Google for step by step instructions.. how do I get into novacom? I have cm9 installed so I know I have it just don't know where I should start typing out the scripts.. another issue is I don't have a media/internal I just have a media on the root... any info is greatly appreciated...

Sent from my swiper using xda premium
16th April 2012, 04:40 PM   |  #494  
Flag Kansas City

612 posts
More
You install from WebOS, not CM9. Novacom/Novaterm is a USB debugging system for WebOS that gives you a root terminal over USB. You must enable developer mode for this. There are plenty of videos out there to help.

To developers:

We should look into issues with the 3.0 kernel (https://github.com/jcsullins/kernel-tenderloin-3.0). I've compiled it and attached the existing ramdisk image from the current kernel. It successfully inits and loads the Ubuntu rootfs, but there are a ton of errors on boot and it never gets to the display. I wasn't around here for much of the early kernel work and am not sure what all was done to get the Ubuntu rootfs booting on 2.6.35.

I've also tried booting the ArchLinux ARM rootfs with this kernel and it too has errors, it seems to init more cleanly but never starts X. Ultimately the new kernel will allow us to use the Freedreno driver and hopefully get 2D/3D acceleration.
Last edited by CalcProgrammer1; 16th April 2012 at 05:54 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CalcProgrammer1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th April 2012, 09:24 PM   |  #495  

97 posts
More
I have Ubuntu working all good... now I'm trying to edit the bash.bashrc file but I need root access... what would be the user name and password... reason I'm trying to edit this file is try and get the Java_home to point to open jdk...

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium
20th April 2012, 03:48 AM   |  #496  
Flag Kansas City

612 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyd1721

I have Ubuntu working all good... now I'm trying to edit the bash.bashrc file but I need root access... what would be the user name and password... reason I'm trying to edit this file is try and get the Java_home to point to open jdk...

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium

User: ubuntu
Pass: ubuntu
Sudo pass: ubuntu

Get the idea?

EDIT:
Freedreno is up, performance is on par with existing non-accelerated driver even in very early development stages. Also, while compiling my own kernel I decided to add some things that were left out in other releases including NTFS R/W support, ext4, CDROM FS (for USB CD drive), LED Triggers, and maybe some other things. LED triggers are awesome, not sure why they weren't compiled in. With LED triggers you can use the core_navi (home button) left and right LED's to indicate various system activities. The most useful one is 'mmc0' which displays disk usage on the internal SD card (flashes the LED as if it were a hard disk activity LED on your PC). I like seeing the disk activity, knowing that *something* is happening in the machine, and this is a good way to do it.

I haven't got WiFi or Bluetooth working again but once I do I'll upload my .config and maybe post my own copy of kernel source pre-configured for native Linux.

http://pastebin.com/TeqHqD1i <--Config for 2.6.35 CM Gingerbread kernel , must apply these patches: http://code.google.com/p/touchpad-de.../KernelPatches as well
Last edited by CalcProgrammer1; 20th April 2012 at 03:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalcProgrammer1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th April 2012, 06:59 PM   |  #497  

97 posts
More
Thanks i was able to figure out that you have to use sudo commands instead of su to root... just having an issue with java and not being able to load a shared library.. i did some research on this and it might be linked to not having the correct open jdk installed..
22nd April 2012, 04:55 AM   |  #498  
Flag Kansas City

612 posts
More
You can update this rootfs to Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) using the built in update manager. I didn't think this would work, but it does. Run update manager and enable the software sources, then run:

sudo update-manager --devel-release

which should detect that development release 12.04 is out and allow you to upgrade. Works fine but it screwed up my install of Freedreno video driver (had to recompile, now it's fine). After the 26th it shouldn't need --devel-release as the release will be official.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalcProgrammer1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2012, 05:13 PM   |  #499  
Thanks Meter: 2

28 posts
Video driver
Since the new video driver is compiled and loaded, why is the performance no better? Are graphics hardware accelerated or not yet?
22nd April 2012, 07:05 PM   |  #500  
Flag Kansas City

612 posts
More
The driver is in very early development stages. Technically it IS accelerated, meaning that the GPU is being used to draw the screen, but it is not being used efficiently. For one, only 2D mode is supported (as the 3D system is still being reverse engineered) and it is only sending one command at a time when apparently a whole bundle of commands can be sent together to speed up performance.

However, with the kernel set up such that the driver runs, whenever Freedreno is updated with more features it should be easy to update TouchPad Ubuntu to use them. Also, the main developer of Freedreno (Rob Clark) bought himself a TouchPad and is going to use it for Adreno reverse engineering and wants to do work on the 3.0 kernel to get Ubuntu running on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to CalcProgrammer1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread