Post Reply

GT-p6210 ICS released by May 1st

OP garyd9

20th April 2012, 08:27 PM   |  #31  
GTOJim's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 537
 
670 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
As for the Peel app, it doesn't work at all for me. If I try to change channels it turns the TV off, even the volume feature doesn't work etc etc. Exact same problem with two tabs, one was exchanged due to another problem.

I also own a Galaxy S Vibrant phone, ginger bread was never released for this phone. GPS doesn't work properly due to hardware problem. I've had problems with a Samsung Blue Ray player. I swore I would not purchase another Samsung product, but I purchased a Galaxy tab 7.0+ because it was highly rated and read ICS would be released first quarter.

No official ICS release means no Samsung products for me ever again.
20th April 2012, 11:52 PM   |  #32  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
32 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
An official release of ICS isn't important to me. What I want is a device that is easily moddable for stock opensource ICS. Samsung not releasing important bits, e.g. the wifi driver source is a dealbreaker.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
21st April 2012, 02:10 PM   |  #33  
Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 62
 
449 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOJim

As for the Peel app, it doesn't work at all for me. If I try to change channels it turns the TV off, even the volume feature doesn't work etc etc. Exact same problem with two tabs, one was exchanged due to another problem.

I also own a Galaxy S Vibrant phone, ginger bread was never released for this phone. GPS doesn't work properly due to hardware problem. I've had problems with a Samsung Blue Ray player. I swore I would not purchase another Samsung product, but I purchased a Galaxy tab 7.0+ because it was highly rated and read ICS would be released first quarter.

No official ICS release means no Samsung products for me ever again.

Sounds like that is more of a code problem. I must be one of the lucky ones, haven't had an issue with peel and my Sony TV.

Sent from my myTouch 4g via Tapatalk
22nd April 2012, 05:04 AM   |  #34  
Senior Member
Madison
Thanks Meter: 50
 
659 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
There will be loads of complains like this before ICS finally arrives and same amount of praise after that, just like every device.

I myself does not see any impossibility of official ICS. The Galaxy Note has not gotten an official release and some brands like Sony and Moto have not even started rolling out ICS yet. As a happy owner of SGS1 and SGS2 I do believe Samsung in firmware updates.
22nd April 2012, 05:29 AM   |  #35  
garyd9's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 1,989
 
1,968 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrakcn

The Galaxy Note has not gotten an official release and some brands like Sony and Moto have not even started rolling out ICS yet. As a happy owner of SGS1 and SGS2 I do believe Samsung in firmware updates.

There's a very large difference, however: All the devices you've mentioned have had leaks and/or very official announcements concerning ICS. The 7+ has only been mentioned as an afterthought, and then I don't think it's ever been done officially.

Galaxy Note has had leaks (both in EU form and Chinese form) as well as very official and public announcements and advertisements.

The 7+? Well, it looks like Samsung is putting their efforts into newer devices such as the "tab 2."

Is anyone at samsung actually working on the 7+? I don't think so. If there was even a single developer working full time on this device (with full hardware source), we'd already have ICS. It's not a complex device, and with no GSM/CDMA modems to deal with, development is even easier.

Really, if samsung were to just do a full release of the 6210 source (a FULL release), I wouldn't care if they abandoned us... I'd get more done for the kernel/firmware on this tablet in my spare time than samsung has done in the 6+ months this device has been out.

Combining my efforts with the others on this and other forums would result in a much better device. For those with a device running AOKP or CM9 - imagine our 7+ with ICS. It would be amazing.

Take care
Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2012, 04:12 PM   |  #36  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 83
 
202 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9

There's a very large difference, however: All the devices you've mentioned have had leaks and/or very official announcements concerning ICS. The 7+ has only been mentioned as an afterthought, and then I don't think it's ever been done officially.

I see this meme perpetuated here over, and over, and over here at XDA, and it is simply untrue. Samsung has released MULTIPLE press releases SPECIFICALLY mentioning the Tab Plus for ICS upgrade.

The official press release is on Samsung Mobile's Facebook. I'd link here, but my post count is too low.

Interesting note here, the data systems team is based where I live... maybe I can poke some contacts there and see if I can get some details.
23rd April 2012, 04:30 AM   |  #37  
garyd9's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 1,989
 
1,968 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyr

I see this meme perpetuated here over, and over, and over here at XDA, and it is simply untrue. Samsung has released MULTIPLE press releases SPECIFICALLY mentioning the Tab Plus for ICS upgrade.

The official press release is on Samsung Mobile's Facebook. I'd link here, but my post count is too low.

Official press releases are NOT done on "facebook", "twitter", etc. Samsung actually has a dedicated section of their website for press releases: http://www.samsung.com/us/news/presskitList.do

The stuff accounced on facebook, twitter, etc is technically just leaks and may or may not have been sanctioned.
23rd April 2012, 02:35 PM   |  #38  
Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
73 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76

h2g2:

Here's my email, copied & pasted, right from Peel support:



Whatever the reason, they're blaming Samsung and have essetially refused any further support beyond that statement. I don't think my expectations were too high for this feature. I know I wasn't going to get a Harmony remote. I was only expecting to change my channels (and possibly inputs) on the television and control the volume on my reciever. That's it. According to Samsung's literature the SG7+ should have been able to do that without a hitch.

As I mentioned before, my SG7+ is broken already with a defective LCD (I assume) and is being shipped back to Samsung for service this weekend. When I get the replacement I will start back with Samsung on the IR functionallity. At this point it's unlikely I will be able to get my money back so I can either A) wait it out and hope for the best or B) get the replacement unit and immediately try to recoup as much of my money as possible, including the $100+ in accessories I have for this stupid thing.

Thanks for sharing that. Good luck dealing with Samsung, I've never dealt with them myself. I suspect that if you're firm but polite and ask that your issue be escalated, you'll get compensated somehow. And if you don't, then at least you'll know exactly what kind of company Samsung is.

Please share your results once you're done. If you can't get satisfaction from them over this, I don't think I want to give them any more of my money in the future as well.
23rd April 2012, 04:36 PM   |  #39  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Unhappy Dont Kill the messenger - Just had a live chat with samsung
here we go,....

"Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK5640957884X

Simpson: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Visitor: Good Morning are there any updates on a release date for the ICS upgrade for the Galaxy Tab plus? GT-P6210MA
Visitor:
Simpson: I understand that you want to know if there are any update available for ICS for your Tab. Is that correct?
Visitor: yes
Simpson: Thank you for confirming.
Visitor:
Simpson: Would you mind holding for few minutes so that I can get some information?
Simpson: Thank you for holding. I appreciate your time and patience.
Simpson: I am sorry to inform you that a full update to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy Tab (7-inch) and Galaxy S is not practicable due to hardware limitations. Samsung remains committed to providing the best possible mobile experience to all existing and new customers.
Simpson: I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.
Simpson: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Visitor: ok this is disconcerning
Visitor: Samsung just released a 7 inch tab with ICS
Visitor: with lowers specs than the TAB plus
Simpson: I understand your concern.
Visitor: so no upgrade to ICS
Simpson: But with older model which released earlier they are not compatible.
Simpson: I really sorry to say that.
Simpson: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Visitor: is there going to be an official anouncement for this?
Simpson: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Simpson: As of now there is no official announcement for this.
Simpson: I apologize for the inconvenience.
Visitor: ok... well Im now on the ranks of not happy customers of Samsung....
Visitor: thanks"

not happy at all... can someone with official ties confirm?
23rd April 2012, 04:43 PM   |  #40  
Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 62
 
449 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralmg

here we go,....

"Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK5640957884X

Simpson: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Visitor: Good Morning are there any updates on a release date for the ICS upgrade for the Galaxy Tab plus? GT-P6210MA
Visitor:
Simpson: I understand that you want to know if there are any update available for ICS for your Tab. Is that correct?
Visitor: yes
Simpson: Thank you for confirming.
Visitor:
Simpson: Would you mind holding for few minutes so that I can get some information?
Simpson: Thank you for holding. I appreciate your time and patience.
Simpson: I am sorry to inform you that a full update to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy Tab (7-inch) and Galaxy S is not practicable due to hardware limitations. Samsung remains committed to providing the best possible mobile experience to all existing and new customers.
Simpson: I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.
Simpson: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Visitor: ok this is disconcerning
Visitor: Samsung just released a 7 inch tab with ICS
Visitor: with lowers specs than the TAB plus
Simpson: I understand your concern.
Visitor: so no upgrade to ICS
Simpson: But with older model which released earlier they are not compatible.
Simpson: I really sorry to say that.
Simpson: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Visitor: is there going to be an official anouncement for this?
Simpson: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Simpson: As of now there is no official announcement for this.
Simpson: I apologize for the inconvenience.
Visitor: ok... well Im now on the ranks of not happy customers of Samsung....
Visitor: thanks"

not happy at all... can someone with official ties confirm?

It looks like the support tech thought you were talking about the original galaxy tab as he doesn't mention plus...

Sent from my myTouch 4g via Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes