Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,165 Members 37,807 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

rooting a japanese evo

Tip us?

SharpIS03
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobob1221 View Post
Last time I rooted I used the revolutionary method. So I have a basic understanding at best.
Will it require using command prompts to install this root method?
Ah, revolutionary.io method then? Yes, this method will require the command prompt.

Robobob1221
Old
Thanks Meter 486

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpIS03 View Post
Ah, revolutionary.io method then? Yes, this method will require the command prompt.
Yeah that's the one. As long as I know what order to do things in and the prompts are straight forward then it should be ok to follow.

Keep meaning to try using adb to attempt to root the samsung tablet they give you with the Evo manually, as practice, but haven't got round to it yet!

SharpIS03
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Yeah that's the one. As long as I know what order to do things in and the prompts are straight forward then it should be ok to follow.

Keep meaning to try using adb to attempt to root the samsung tablet they give you with the Evo manually, as practice, but haven't got round to it yet!
It's not so bad, but definitely be careful about the commands. In fact, I'm going through this process again just to ensure that my instructions and commands are correct. Since you're on the latest firmware, here's a quick run-down on what you're going to need to do:
  1. Downgrade to stock
  2. get root and CWM via revolutionary.io
  3. flash custom stock rom

Looks easy when it's like that...haha.

Robobob1221
Old
Thanks Meter 486

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
It's not so bad, but definitely be careful about the commands. In fact, I'm going through this process again just to ensure that my instructions and commands are correct. Since you're on the latest firmware, here's a quick run-down on what you're going to need to do:
  1. Downgrade to stock
  2. get root and CWM via revolutionary.io
  3. flash custom stock rom

Looks easy when it's like that...haha.
When you say downgrade to stock, do you mean that I need to go back to the previous software build? Think I'm gonna have to ask how you do that?!

And the rest with the revolutionary.io and flashing of the custom rom will be like I did before?

SharpIS03
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
When you say downgrade to stock, do you mean that I need to go back to the previous software build? Think I'm gonna have to ask how you do that?!

And the rest with the revolutionary.io and flashing of the custom rom will be like I did before?
Yes, in fact, we'll be going back to the earliest build that came with the phone. My instructions should be fine and I'm including any files that you will need to downgrade. Rooting and flashing should be as before, yes.

Robobob1221
Old
Thanks Meter 486

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Yes, in fact, we'll be going back to the earliest build that came with the phone. My instructions should be fine and I'm including any files that you will need to downgrade. Rooting and flashing should be as before, yes.
So, will it be that adb commands will be needed to downgrade to the original software and then after that it's just a process of using revolutionary to obtain root and apply CWM? Will the custom rom being flashed be the one you're creating or will it be the one of the files you can find in this forum?

Yeah, writing about it does make it seem so simple...wish it was!!

SharpIS03
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
So, will it be that adb commands will be needed to downgrade to the original software and then after that it's just a process of using revolutionary to obtain root and apply CWM? Will the custom rom being flashed be the one you're creating or will it be the one of the files you can find in this forum?

Yes, to the first part. The custom rom is the one I created, so WiMax and all that stuff for our Japanese Evo should work! I'll provide the custom rom.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Well, hopefully it is. I finished going through the whole process again, and am successfully back on the latest build with root and other things working as far as I can tell.

When you're ready, send me a private message. We'll go from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to SharpIS03 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SharpIS03
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Anyone know if any information regarding ICS specifically for our device? I can't find anything through my Google searches...but just wondering. I'm going to try to compile ICS just for some experience...I hope ICS comes to our device...

Asutke781
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Where can I get the RUU 2.26.970.1? I found a download link for a filefactory.com download but cannot download it without becoming a paid member which I don't really want to do for one file. Any one know of a different location?

SharpIS03
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asutke781 View Post
Where can I get the RUU 2.26.970.1? I found a download link for a filefactory.com download but cannot download it without becoming a paid member which I don't really want to do for one file. Any one know of a different location?
I was able to download it from that filefactory site, took a while though. I'll see if i cqn upload it somewhere.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium