Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,807 Members 43,634 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cm9/ics ad-hoc fix

Tip us?
 
janeindiran
Old
(Last edited by janeindiran; 1st August 2012 at 02:18 PM.)
#1  
janeindiran's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 744
Posts: 958
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coimbatore
Default Cm9/ics ad-hoc fix

JIUI v4(MIUI v4) & JWP7(Windows Phone 7 MOD): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0#post26890050


cm9 does not support ad-hoc because ics doen not provide that facility. But we can create a virtual router and share the wifi from our laptop.

1.Download virtual router(you can google it. version:0.9 beta).

2.Install it in your system.Open it.

3.Now open command promt as administrator and type this

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=android key=TYPE YOUR PASSWORD

press enter.

4.Type netsh wlan start hostednetwork and press enter. Now you hava created a virtual router.

5.Open network and sharing center. it will display your lan network which is connected to internet.

6.Click on Local area connection and select properties. A new window will open.

7.Select sharing from that window. There will be something called Allow network users to connect through this computer's internet. Click on the Checkbox.

8.Select the network. Usually it will be wireless network connection 2. If not select wireless network connection.

9.Hit ok. Now you will be able to share your internet connection via wifi.



ANY BROKEN LINKS!! PLEASE REPORT.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to janeindiran For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
fartlec
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 83
Join Date: Sep 2011
yeah, that's great. but what if i use ubuntu and my wireless card is not supported by hostapd? haven't found a working wpa_supplicant for my ics-sed galaxy s yet, so i'll stick to gb for the time being..
 
janeindiran
Old
#3  
janeindiran's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 744
Posts: 958
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coimbatore
I have DEFY i changed wpa_supplicant but no use same result only and wifi tether does work but no apps support the internet connection recevied through wifi tether. Some one has to change the script, its in the hands of developers. So far what i posted before works. Will try to figure our something and will let you know.
 
janeindiran
Old
#4  
janeindiran's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 744
Posts: 958
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coimbatore
Quote:
Originally Posted by fartlec View Post
yeah, that's great. but what if i use ubuntu and my wireless card is not supported by hostapd? haven't found a working wpa_supplicant for my ics-sed galaxy s yet, so i'll stick to gb for the time being..

I am not big fan of UBUNTU but found this. Give it a try and say if it works.

In Ubuntu 10.04, it seems extremely easy to have this hostapd work. First, of course, you need to install it. It is already in the official repositories. Just run this in the terminal:
sudo apt-get install hostapd
Then, open a text editor program, for example gedit. Copy the following into it.

interface=wlan0
driver=nl80211
ssid=
channel=1
hw_mode=g
auth_algs=1
wpa=3
wpa_passphrase=
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP


Please don’t forget to fill in the name of your network after “ssid=”, as well as the password after “wpa_passphrase=”.

After all these, save the file as hostapd.conf in your home folder.

Now, in your terminal:

sudo hostapd hostapd.conf

Turn the wifi connection on in your devices and enjoy the fast network share!
The Following User Says Thank You to janeindiran For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
janeindiran
Old
#5  
janeindiran's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 744
Posts: 958
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coimbatore
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeindiran View Post
cm9 does not support ad-hoc because ics doen not provide that facility. But we can create a virtual router and share the wifi from our laptop.

1.Download virtual router(you can google it. version:0.9 beta).

2.Install it in your system.Open it.

3.Now open command promt as administrator and type this

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=android key=TYPE YOUR PASSWORD

press enter.

4.Type netsh wlan start hostednetwork and press enter. Now you hava created a virtual router.

5.Open network and sharing center. it will display your lan network which is connected to internet.

6.Click on Local area connection and select properties. A new window will open.

7.Select sharing from that window. There will be something called Allow network users to connect through this computer's internet. Click on the Checkbox.

8.Select the network. Usually it will be wireless network connection 2. If not select wireless network connection.

9.Hit ok. Now you will be able to share your internet connection via wifi.
This works only on windows platform. Tested on Windows 7 ultimate x64.
 
fartlec
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 83
Join Date: Sep 2011
Default @ janeindiran

yeah, thanks, already did it. long story short: nl80211 driver does not work, guys @ linuxwireless are working on a functional broadcom4313 driver, which is, by chance, my wireless card. Good news is that they're working on it, so there's still hope.
ps can agree on ubuntu, but i'm a dumbass and it was my first choice to move from windows!
 
janeindiran
Old
#7  
janeindiran's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 744
Posts: 958
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coimbatore
Quote:
Originally Posted by fartlec View Post
yeah, thanks, already did it. long story short: nl80211 driver does not work, guys @ linuxwireless are working on a functional broadcom4313 driver, which is, by chance, my wireless card. Good news is that they're working on it, so there's still hope.
ps can agree on ubuntu, but i'm a dumbass and it was my first choice to move from windows!
If you find any fix please do post it here. I will try to find a fix for it.
 
janeindiran
Old
#8  
janeindiran's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 744
Posts: 958
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coimbatore
Its not really a fix for your phone, its another way of creating a network. It will work for Windows users.
 
janeindiran
Old
#9  
janeindiran's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 744
Posts: 958
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coimbatore
If anyone has tried, don't forget to mention the review.
 
flanagan843
Old
#10  
flanagan843's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 26
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chucktown
is wifi tethering ever gonna work for ics?
_____________________________________
HTC Dream->Moto Defy
[Rom] CM9 Nightly
Froyo [Kernel]
[Carrier] Simple Mobile

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Blast Those Flags with Knock the Flags

Lately, we have seen a rather drastic shift in the world of mobile device gaming. The infamous Angry … more

Hide Numbers on Your SMS and Call Logs with Reflection

How many times have you given your device to someone else in order to show them a … more

Implement Split View in Your LG G2 KitKat Rom with Automated Installer

Some of you may have remembered a story on the Portal a few weeks back … more

Cast Your Device Screen the Way it Was Meant to be with Second Screen

Not too long ago here on the XDA Portal, we covered how Google had made … more