Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,742 Members 37,379 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[29/4][ICS]4.0.3 RC4.2 Unkanged/stock +wifi calling kernel &wifi files (testing only)

Tip us?

Jarmezrocks
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 420

DONATE TO ME
OMG dude! I have been experiencing the exact same issue! I started a thread about it. Its not my ROM thing its something to do with the recovery for nearly all ROMs. And your right Glitch has been the one (it isn't the glitch kernel its the recovery part of that I am talking about) that has not given me dramas.
ALL kernels so far that I have tried have given me stupid MD5 sum errors or never ending bootloops. One time I flashed a kernel and it took me nearly a week to get my phone online after it had corrupted a nandroid backup. I had important messages in that so I wasn't prepared to let it slide!

Have you tried flashing my ROM then Flashing glitch kernel over the top of it?

I have flashed my ROM with my kernel but it was on Galaxy S....I got the weird button issue which is well known. And I also noted that using the boot.img file for my ROM plus teh Galaxy S button configuration did not solve the button issue....only partly solved it, and no matter what I would not get any reception only wifi.

I am no kernel dev but I am going to see if I can get the best of both worlds + more by getting my head around GIT hub and learning to build a kernel my self. Not from scratch but (with permission of course) using the best part of glitch which is recovery. The glitch kernel its self nearly toasts my phone to hell. It isn't a crazy battery mucher its average but my phone is (or shoudl I saw was) so burning freakin hot to touch. No matter what version of glitch I used either, all were the same and that concerned me a lot. I didn't dare think of over clocking it eeeeek

So my plan is/was is see if I can use Glitch as a base for everyone. Use Platypus (safe) settings for kernel inside of Glitch + kinetoGAN modules added + have the additional Broadcom BCM4329 drivers for radio that Semaphore has added into his kernel. So frankenstein ROM frankenstein kernel.....that will hopefully allow Vibrant callers to make wificalls. You rang?

I got so excited when I had signal boost opening and registering....I was going to flash again the other night and do a screen cast like I have in the OP to prove that what I was saying is working! I was so bummed that when I tested the boot.img that I had the no reception vibrant error I did however have wifi.....and that could have meant wifi calling which meant market enabler -> T-mob.....I even downloaded Market enabler from wifi from Google Playstore but had no baseband, however Market Enabler needs to first check what your current provider is before it will let you enable a spoofed provider = fail

I need to learn Kernel dev stuff anyway considering I am migrating to SGSII and I would like to continue this theme (wifi calling) over into that area too (as no other Dev is look after it there, and not other kernel Devs are providing a solution for it either?) So......

Anyway, seeming Glitch Kernel is functional on your Phones I will see if I can just build you guys two ROMs (obviously not Kineto enabled yet) that you can use as way of testing minor bug fixes for me? I want to provide these things to ICS ROMs in general. I.e Raymond you like the Samsung Calendar....so do I and I have that one "sort of" working that is made on CM7, but on 4.04 it dies!. So if your feeling flashing I will reupload my ROM with the basics and Glitch as well as a my 4.04 ROM with glitch and if you guys can see how that goes so that I can ensure that my ROM IS actually functional for vibrant that would be great.

Hope all this makes sense? It makes sense to me and gives me a bit of a plan of attack and direction to head. Better off doing something constructive with my weekend seeming I have no money and I cant go out anywhere with no license and ID

Need someone to test my swype keyboard when I finish it too! and boot animation which I have neglected.
"Hey! What is this?" \_(ツ)_/

help find a cure for Narcolepsy
donations to this cause do not come directly to me, they are
anonymous but please tell me so I can give you thanks

Jarmezrocks
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 420

DONATE TO ME
PS: My White Galaxy SII turns up in about 5 days time

RaymondPJR
Old
Thanks Meter 650
Default Lurch

Quote:
Have you tried flashing my ROM then Flashing glitch kernel over the top of it?
Yes, I tried that and it still wouldn't boot. I tried every combination I could think of including another kernel I have on my SD card, but still, it wouldn't finish booting. I think you are right that this is some sort of recovery issue with maybe a small component from the ROM. No matter how many times I tried, flashing different kernels and wiping, I could not get my nandroid to fully boot! It is true that on Glitch you can now make nandroids without it getting stuck on mounting data, but most times restoring that nandroid gets stuck on mounting data, and when it does manage to mount, the restored ROM will not finish booting, the same behavior as on your ROMs so far. At least that's what happend to me. I think data is not mounting when we attempt to boot the phone after flashing your ROMs and that is why it never finishes and keeps spinning on the boot animation. Evidently, both conditions, (something in the ROM and something in Recovery), need to be present for this to happen else it would happen on other ROMs too. But there is no denying that as far as nandroids go, the same thing is occurring which points to recovery as the major part of the problem, what can it be? Don't you remember how I once forgot to do a wipe install and flashed your ROM over another one and it booted? Then when I tried to boot your ROM after a complete wipe, it just spun at the boot animation and would never finish? Since you changed your framework away from that old version that was compatible with Onecosmic's and the first Doc Master's, I don't think that will work anymore. Long story short, the only way I could get my phone up and running again was to do a full wipe and re-flash Doc Masters V6. The nandroids just wouldn't take, but that meant using Titanium Backup to selectively restore all my apps then selectively restore data or use the Market to get all the apps back, then use Titanium to selectively restore the data. Just so you'll know, I did a full wipe restore to Doc's, then went into recovery to attempt first a nandroid regular restore, then the advanced restore. They failed! So even having a working ROM installed and trying to do a nandroid did not work. That's the rub. I'm not adverse to flashing if I can just do a nandroid, but if a full wipe and manual restore of data or a trip to Odin land gets my phone back, then I'm not too keen on flashing. I really hope that your fellow devs realize that there is a problem here and work with you to figure it out. What are we gonna do?
When the spell is over... we will rediscover... there is no other... we are one, we are one, we are one... --Ajamu Mutima

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: T-Mobile
Rom: Stock UVALH2 + Root
Modem: UVLI4
UI: Apex Launcher
Storage: 32GB Class 6
"I know you want to touch it and feel the awesomeness in your hand, but don't." (Taken out of context)-XDA Member Dammit2Hell on proper procedure after flashing Nero V4

RaymondPJR
Old
Thanks Meter 650
Default Lurch

Quote:
With default kernel nandroid fails with "failed to mount /data" It even does not mount /data manually

Now restoring with subzero.
This is from the 'Slim' thread. Seems that kernel has the problem when restoring nandroids too. But this person had success with Subzero. I tried that and it didn't work, maybe because I used SZ #34?
When the spell is over... we will rediscover... there is no other... we are one, we are one, we are one... --Ajamu Mutima

"I know you want to touch it and feel the awesomeness in your hand, but don't." (Taken out of context)-XDA Member Dammit2Hell on proper procedure after flashing Nero V4

mr_psycho
Old
Thanks Meter 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondPJR View Post
This is from the 'Slim' thread. Seems that kernel has the problem when restoring nandroids too. But this person had success with Subzero. I tried that and it didn't work, maybe because I used SZ #34?
Try subZero 1.1 Build 70. I've never had a problem taking or restoring nandroids (full + advanced restores) with my kernels. Build 34 is dated now.

I flip between 5-6 roms, too.

MP

--
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.
Daily Driver: TMO SGS3 - Stock/Odex/TW/ICS 4.0.4 UVALI5 + UVALI8 Modem + CWM6 + My Own Custom Kernel (MOCK) Redux
Fine print: v3.0.8 -- 384/1512 MHz -- Noop/Ondemand -- XZ compressed -- 4096K SD read-ahead

blah, blah, blah. something /dev/random. yada, yada, yada.

sharkteef
Old
Thanks Meter 79
can i flash this over simply honey 3.8 ? or do i need to do some extra steps ?

nafeasonto
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Okay i followed all the instructions on the first post, i am not getting boot loops, but an encryption error when using this ROM, what is going on?

RaymondPJR
Old
Thanks Meter 650
Default Lurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafeasonto View Post
Okay i followed all the instructions on the first post, i am not getting boot loops, but an encryption error when using this ROM, what is going on?
You actually got it to finish booting? The encryption error is a bad bug that's been around lately. If you get a button that says 'Reboot' don't press it!!!! Simply pull out you battery and boot up again. Pressing 'Reboot' will cause a near hard brick. Recovering requires Odin, I think.

Jarmezrocks
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 420

DONATE TO ME
Not sure why this ROM is doing this?

Anyway, I have 100% dead stock Vibrant ICS RC4.2 ROM, no kanging, no extras with the exception of nova launcher instead of stock and only the wifi files that are required for wifi calling added. I am uploading it now. I haven't even change modems so you will need to flash one form your region. I recommend KB5 only from what I have read.

If this doesn't work then it might be the case of waiting till T-mob release a SGSII ICS ROM? Other than that there is not much else I can do as a dev unfortunately

However if this works, I will be extremely happy and I will re-release my work on the ROM leading up till now in incrimental releases/packages until I find what the bootloops form hell have been caused by?

You guys are not the only one experiencing the bootloops form hell crisis. I have started to build a ROM for my SGSII and far out it seems ever ROM I have downloaded in some way shape or form has bugs that are complete show stoppers. I am really not happy with where things are.....nothing is the full picture for me So....I have gone back top source and rebuilding it all my self from ground up. I am not going to release anything in another version, or another ROM.....maybe only when I am competed and happy with my own ROM will I do that. Faaaar too much upkeep. My phone being a dev phone before was shabby. Nothing was nice on it, it was constantly being flashed and being updated with new additions. I am kinda over that part. I will look to get the experia modded to **** when I have the SGSII going fine as a daily

Alright thought I could type until upload but not a chance. A good 30min on eta for completed upload. Will post it here and in the OP.

Jarmezrocks
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 420

DONATE TO ME
Here she is, stock and ready for testing: