Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: Which of the following describe your situation, if you use any ICS ROM
I use Green Power and I get SOD 1 8.33%
I use Green Power and I don't get SOD 1 8.33%
I don't use Green Power and I get SOD 1 8.33%
I don't use Green Power and I don't get SOD 9 75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

ICS SOD with Green Power

OP tamarian

21st April 2012, 06:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 44

278 posts
More
Just want to confirm a hunch that power savers (like green power) trying to control wifi may be one of the causes of screen of death (SOD).
Last edited by tamarian; 21st April 2012 at 06:21 PM.
22nd April 2012, 12:18 AM   |  #2  
Flag Baja
Thanks Meter: 213

1,774 posts
More
SODs are caused by incorrect Kernel/Modem combinations.

I finally got rid of all my SOD problems when I found a modem that works good!

Really
22nd April 2012, 12:23 AM   |  #3  
Flag Novi Sad
Thanks Meter: 40,798

12,143 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian

Just want to confirm a hunch that power savers (like green power) trying to control wifi may be one of the causes of screen of death (SOD).

Any juice saver would be absolutely the last thing I'd want on my phone. That's treating cancer with carcinoma.
22nd April 2012, 12:55 AM   |  #4  
Flag Baja
Thanks Meter: 213

1,774 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmodo

Any juice saver would be absolutely the last thing I'd want on my phone. That's treating cancer with carcinoma.

Exactly! Same apply to task killers...
22nd April 2012, 04:16 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 51

270 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmodo

Why is that? Green Power works great here on Stunner's 1.4.19. Turns off wifi and data a minute after screen is off and there's no significant data usage and turns it on every half hour to sync with all my push accounts. When I turn the phone on all data connections are restored and ready to use when I've unlocked it.

Does it work? Hell yeah! I only lose 3% max each night as opposed to 8% to 12% without Green Power. I still get my Whatsapp/Gmail/Wordfeud/etc. messages when it's turned off, albeit sometimes a little late which in my case doesn't matter at all. If it's important, either call or send an SMS text message, you can't expect someone to always be in an internet covered area.

Now task killers is another story. Android has a great memory management and most killers will eventually cause more pain than neccessairy.
22nd April 2012, 05:07 AM   |  #6  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,759

13,519 posts
Donate to Me
More
Anything that attempts to underclock has a high risk of crashing Samsung ICS kernels that haven't had source fixes applied.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
22nd April 2012, 10:51 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 44

278 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

Anything that attempts to underclock has a high risk of crashing Samsung ICS kernels that haven't had source fixes applied.

Great to hear from the SOD hunter!

GreenPower doesn't underclock like JuiceDefender. However, after lots of SOD's I noticed in the battery chart from settings that prior to SOD, WIFI was stuck ON when device was not awake, when GreenPower should turn it off whenever screen is off. I tested with uninstalling it and tried an alternative (Battery Defender) and no SOD's for 3 days. I had them a couple of times a day since LP1.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread