Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

How can I buy a T-Mobile prepaid SIM card for my US vacation?

OP itzik2sh

22nd April 2012, 07:36 AM   |  #11  
Easton, PA
Thanks Meter: 171

722 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eollie

The t-mo 30 dollar plan is good for 30 days.
This from the t-mo site.

I would goto walmart and get it. Normally they are slightly cheaper.

+1 Walmart and online arethe only points of sale for the $30 plan

Source: used to work cell phones in Walmart, then wireless advocates (staples/Costco) and TMobile

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
22nd April 2012, 10:52 AM   |  #12  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 739

1,506 posts
Hi Again

OK, so regarding the T-mobile 30$ plan I found this on T-mo site :
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans
and this one on Wallmart site :
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tmobile-30...#ProductDetail

Few things still unclear to me :
1. If I buy it from T-mo, do I have to do it in advance and ask for delivery to the hotel or can I just instantly go and buy it from a local T-mo store I found 15 minutes walk from the Hotel ?
maybe I should order it online and just go pick it up from that store ?
2. Why do all stores in Miami get lousy reviews with "bad customer service", "no parking" and "no one speaks English there" ?
3. Wallmart centers are not near my staying place, so I could order it and get it shipped to the hotel I suppose, but here it says :
"The $30 Unlimited Web & Text with 100 min talk plan works only with T-Mobile Phones purchased from a Walmart store or from Walmart.com"
WTF ? I bought my phone in some local Manhattan store I don't even remember its name.
4. Even in Wallmart site I see I get the activation code via mail - but how would they know my IMEI number?

Regarding the Straight-Talk plans I found this one :
http://www.straighttalksim.com/shop.php
So what I understand from this is that it will cost me 60$ overall (which is twice the T-mo price).
I don't really need the unlimited talk, but mabe it's worth the price comparing to T-mobile service.

What do you advise ?

Thanks !!!
Last edited by itzik2sh; 22nd April 2012 at 11:18 AM.
22nd April 2012, 08:30 PM   |  #13  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 767

1,868 posts
More
The $30 plan is suppose to be part of the byod(bring your own device) promotion so walmart should be willing to sell you the sim card. I would goto my local walmart and ask but I know each store will do things slightly different.

You also might be able to contact t-mobile and tell them what your wanting to do and ask what they suggest. They might be able to have the item shipped to the hotel in advance of your arrival and you pick it up at the desk when you sign in. What you are getting from them is the sim card it costs like 4 bucks and they refund that to you once you activate.

If you dont need the unlimited calling then I would stick to t-mo. In Miami area the 4g service should be super.
25th April 2012, 02:41 AM   |  #14  
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 67

208 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzik2sh

Hi Again

OK, so regarding the T-mobile 30$ plan I found this on T-mo site :
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans
and this one on Wallmart site :
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tmobile-30...#ProductDetail

Few things still unclear to me :
1. If I buy it from T-mo, do I have to do it in advance and ask for delivery to the hotel or can I just instantly go and buy it from a local T-mo store I found 15 minutes walk from the Hotel ?
maybe I should order it online and just go pick it up from that store ?
2. Why do all stores in Miami get lousy reviews with "bad customer service", "no parking" and "no one speaks English there" ?
3. Wallmart centers are not near my staying place, so I could order it and get it shipped to the hotel I suppose, but here it says :
"The $30 Unlimited Web & Text with 100 min talk plan works only with T-Mobile Phones purchased from a Walmart store or from Walmart.com"
WTF ? I bought my phone in some local Manhattan store I don't even remember its name.
4. Even in Wallmart site I see I get the activation code via mail - but how would they know my IMEI number?

Regarding the Straight-Talk plans I found this one :
http://www.straighttalksim.com/shop.php
So what I understand from this is that it will cost me 60$ overall (which is twice the T-mo price).
I don't really need the unlimited talk, but mabe it's worth the price comparing to T-mobile service.

What do you advise ?

Thanks !!!

1. No you do not need to buy in advance. You can walk into any Tmo store and buy prepaid activation on site. Choose to activate yourself by phone and the $30 option is available to anyone who activate by phone.

2. Because people are jerks :)

3. disregard that, I sell these plans to people on a daily basis at numerous locations and in any phone. I have activated these for customers with unlocked iphones (not proud of that).

4. You provide your IMEI when activating buy it's only to make sure you're not going to use a phone that's been reported stolen from retail. (if a phone is stolen from a retail location the IMEI guess into a database)

I highly advise staying away from Straight Talk - just my opinion but there service on every level is less than respectable.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium
25th April 2012, 06:14 AM   |  #15  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 739

1,506 posts
Hi guys

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm probably taking the 30$ unlimited web plan and Skype pay as you go credit for the long distance. I think it's ideal for a 10 days period.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA
24th July 2012, 07:59 AM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Question
Hi everyone,

Excuse me for bringing back this topic, but I have a similar question regarding this topic. We're visiting California next week as an European tourist. I'm willing to buy the 30 days unlimited web prepaid deal from t mobile, however I saw that it is for 'US residents only'.

Do they check this? Do you have to provide a passport or something?

We only need Internet for 3 weeks so 30 days is sufficient, it's mainly for navigation purpose on my HTC Sensation.

Another question, is the sim a standard one or is it a micro sim?

Hope you can give us the answer! Can't wait for our visit!

Best regards,
Jasper from the Netherlands.
24th July 2012, 10:55 AM   |  #17  
Flag Los Angeles, California
Thanks Meter: 3

57 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman86

Hi everyone,

Excuse me for bringing back this topic, but I have a similar question regarding this topic. We're visiting California next week as an European tourist. I'm willing to buy the 30 days unlimited web prepaid deal from t mobile, however I saw that it is for 'US residents only'.

Do they check this? Do you have to provide a passport or something?

We only need Internet for 3 weeks so 30 days is sufficient, it's mainly for navigation purpose on my HTC Sensation.

Another question, is the sim a standard one or is it a micro sim?

Hope you can give us the answer! Can't wait for our visit!

Best regards,
Jasper from the Netherlands.

No they do not check it. You do not need to provide a passport. However you may be required to present an ID. It varies. If you plan to get one at a T-Mobile store, you can request a standard one, or microsim. If for some reason you decide to buy it online, it'll come as a standard similar card.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium

The Following User Says Thank You to iEmDan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread