Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,957 Members 39,688 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Do i really need a screen protector for the note?

Tip us?

b3asty
Old
Thanks Meter 141
I purchased the Spigen SGP Glas t. Premium Tempered Glass Series Screen Protector for my Note earlier this week. After applying it and playing with it for two days, I am convinced it is one of the best accessories ever for a phone. Insulation for a screen without degradation in quality. I love it. Links for anyone that's interested:

On Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/SPIGEN-SGP-Pre...ef=pd_cp_cps_0

Product Page:
http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/sam...ss-series.html
8125 / 8525 / 8925 / Tilt 2...
Then I got smart & moved to Android.

wase4711
Old
Thanks Meter 3,541

DONATE TO ME
I hate to admit it, but I actually purchased one of the horribly overpriced Moshi screen protectors at the ATT store, and, even though I have applied hundreds of screen protectors on my phones over the years, this one is the absolute best one I have ever used; its super easy to apply perfectly, with a sort of "template" sheet that the protector gets shipped on, and there are almost no smudges, no screen darkening, and it fits perfectly!

Do you "need" a screen protector? No, the phone works fine without it..

should you put one on? to me, its the first thing I put on the phone before I even take the factory plastic off the phone..

And, down the road, when you go to sell your phone, or trade it in, you will get maximum return if you keep the thing looking like brand new..
HTC One M8
LG Flex
HTC One Maxx
Samsung Note2
Samsung Note
Samsung S3
HTC Evo 3d
HTC Evo 4g
Samsung G2
IBones 3,4
Palm Treo
PPC 6700
HP IPAQ
Moto StarTac's, several
BlackBerry's, several
and on and on...

ASKING FOR THANKS IN YOUR SIGNATURE IS SO LAME - IF YOU DESERVE ONE, YOU'LL GET ONE..

Coffinfeeder
Old
Thanks Meter 160
I haven't had a protector on my note yet. I was thinking of maybe getting the steinheil protector because of all the issues people are having with the glass one.

So far the gorilla glass has held up just fine for me. No marks at all, I still don't even have a case on this thing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

wase4711
Old
Thanks Meter 3,541

DONATE TO ME
if I wasn't such a klutz, I would keep it case free too..
another solution is Wrapsol; which I have had on a few phones, with leaves it pretty naked, but puts a clear shield on any area that you want protected..
HTC One M8
LG Flex
HTC One Maxx
Samsung Note2
Samsung Note
Samsung S3
HTC Evo 3d
HTC Evo 4g
Samsung G2
IBones 3,4
Palm Treo
PPC 6700
HP IPAQ
Moto StarTac's, several
BlackBerry's, several
and on and on...

ASKING FOR THANKS IN YOUR SIGNATURE IS SO LAME - IF YOU DESERVE ONE, YOU'LL GET ONE..

jasg001
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Would you rather have a SP and not need it or need a SP when you don't have it (like when you accidentally drop that bad boy)?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Skizzy034
Old
Thanks Meter 998
It seems the gorilla glass isn't as scratch resistant as the manufacturers want us to believe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA
*NOTE* I'll never recommend using a toolkit to root your device because if you don't know how to root your phone manually, you shouldn't be rooting your phone. -KidCarter93

My Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/sgutowski77

jjc5891
Old
Thanks Meter 139
My girlfriend managed to get a small scratch on her screen within a week of use (screen protectors were already on order), so yes i think a sp is essential if you want to avoid damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA Premium HD app

rlpaul
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I use one of the Steinheil for two reasons, and scratches isn't one of them.

1. Anti-glare. The proper Steinheil protector is great for this.
2. Smudges/fingerprints. I find that the Steinheil doesn't attract the oils from your hands nearly as much as native Gorilla Glass.

The texture is the only thing I'd really worry about - it feels weird to some. I usually stop noticing it after 2-3 days.
yollasho Old
(Last edited by yollasho; 23rd April 2012 at 04:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
On my past 3 Android phones, I haven't ever used Screen Protectors. I hate the feel and look of most of them (I know there are certain that are glass, or feel pretty much fine, but many never feel like awesome smooth glass, almost a texture sometimes), and I sometimes feel cases end up pushing up the edges, making it look like **** and needing to be replaced. Or it gets tweaked sliding it in and out of my pocket.

For good measure, WM HTC Touch Pro ended up with zero scratches on screen, lived in a case at first, then without because it was such a brick. It had a SP at first, but eventually it peeled and I said **** it. Phone felt better without (Resistive Screen with stylus). It died when I gave it to my GF for a loaner, and she dropped it and left it in a river for awhile...on the first day she had it. (my phones are in constant peril!)

The HTC Aria ended up with zero scratches and still in mint cond when I moved on to an HTC Inspire 4G. Had been dropped onto Concrete, wood, etc from at least 4 feet on occasion. Protected by HTC TPU smoked case from ATT store for entire life.

HTC Inspire 4G ended up with one very slight vertical scratch toward the far right side of the screen. I only noticed it when the screen was off, never noticed it with my finger sliding onto it, or in general use. It had a rough life, and I was happy/surprised that was the only damage it ever received. Standard drops from about 4 feet onto assorted surfaces like concrete, hardwood floors, etc. Protected by Case-Mate Tough Case from ATT store for entire life.

My GNote is still without a scratch. Has only really been dropped on carpet, and a few small drops onto hardwood floors from about 3 feet. Protected by Speck Candyshell from ATT store, then Trident Aegis (kinda **** imo), and now Cruzerlite Androidified TPU (sucked at first, broken in and a few mods with the punch from a hole puncher, now perfect).

I keep all of my phones in my front right jeans pocket with the screen against my leg, and I never leave the ATT store without a case (even if I know I'll be getting a diff case very soon). I never put anything else in my phone pocket. Also be aware if your pants have very sharp/exposed rivets above your pocket. Clean out your pockets before you wear them. Turn them inside out if you can/use packing tape or something to make sure all the possible grit/**** is gone. It's entirely possible to get sand/dirt/whatever in there, and have it remain even after washing.

When I travel by motorcycle (85% of the time), my phone goes in a ziplock bag as well, and then I put it in my backpack, or occasionally front left breast pocket of my jacket. I think if you are aware of the fact that you are carrying a $600+ device in your pocket, you can easily avoid scratches. All of the cases I use have a sufficient lip to set the phone face down, but I RARELY ever set them face down (grit/sand/etc can be so small and so easily scratch)

TL;DR-I've had great luck without a Screen Protector and prefer to run without them. Many have had the opposite and much prefer a SP for extra peace of mind. Do what you are comfortable with.

p51d007
Old
Thanks Meter 161
Default Streak & Note

Had a dell streak for about 14 months. First 3-4 months had a screen protector on it, for nothing else because I had 3 win-mobile phones that the bottom area where the stylus is used, had scratches.
When the protector starting peeling off, I just chucked it. I used a soft belt case for well over a year w/o issues. Not one scratch.
When I got the Note in mid December, I didn't even bother with one. I use a Seidio ultimate case, and have had no issues, and, I use the s-pen daily.

Unless you are rough on your device, toss it around or carry it in your pocket with change & car keys, I wouldn't put one on it.
It's scratch RESISTANT, not scratch PROOF.
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment, protects the 1st.

Huawei Ascend Mate2
ROM: 4.3 Jelly Bean
Kernel 3.4.0-g9428221 @pekeaulxd0121 #1
Build number: MT2-L03V100R001C00B126