Enable the Hidden Notification LED on the Google Nexus 6!

LED notification lights have existed on Android devices since the very beginnings … more

MX Player Ready to Rock on Lollipop

A good video player should be reliable and free. One of the XDA Community Apps, MX Player, meets both of … more

How to Disable Data Encryption on Nexus 6

In late September, Google decided to step on NSA’s toes and turn on encryption by default in … more

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Review – XDA TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about gifts now? Youll be ahead … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] S-OFF Help!

OP Marshmellow92

22nd April 2012, 03:03 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23

237 posts
ok so the s off works now! so you can use this thread to talk about it. but i do have a question....

so now that we have s-off. how do you flash kernels? and recoveries? do we kust install the rom folder withought flashing the kernel that is inside the rom folder?
22nd April 2012, 03:46 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 107

437 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmellow92

ok so the s off works now! so you can use this thread to talk about it. but i do have a question....

so now that we have s-off. how do you flash kernels? and recoveries? do we kust install the rom folder withought flashing the kernel that is inside the rom folder?

I believe you still have to flash the kernel separate from the rom. The only difference now would be instead of fastboot flashing the kernel you flash it through recovery.
22nd April 2012, 04:14 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

237 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by megatronisabeast

I believe you still have to flash the kernel separate from the rom. The only difference now would be instead of fastboot flashing the kernel you flash it through recovery.

And how would I do that

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA
22nd April 2012, 04:22 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 107

437 posts
More
I wouldn't try anything like that yet. Wait for the dev's to set everything up. That is what I did on another phone. HTC is a bit different, may be you flash only the zip file containing the rom and kernel. I do believe that on HTC most phones do allow you to flash one file instead of having to flash separate files unless you wanted a different kernel then the one provided. You would do this in recovery by flashing a zip file.
Last edited by megatronisabeast; 22nd April 2012 at 04:25 AM.
22nd April 2012, 06:48 AM   |  #5  
Flag Louisiana
Thanks Meter: 65

380 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by megatronisabeast

I wouldn't try anything like that yet. Wait for the dev's to set everything up. That is what I did on another phone. HTC is a bit different, may be you flash only the zip file containing the rom and kernel. I do believe that on HTC most phones do allow you to flash one file instead of having to flash separate files unless you wanted a different kernel then the one provided. You would do this in recovery by flashing a zip file.

With my Inspire, I could flash a kernel alone, an entire ROMs image files separately, or an entire package containing everything in one flash...all through recovery.

Sent from my HTC Vivid
22nd April 2012, 06:58 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

237 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapdaddy

With my Inspire, I could flash a kernel alone, an entire ROMs image files separately, or an entire package containing everything in one flash...all through recovery.

Sent from my HTC Vivid

So if there is a Rom with a kernel (boot.IMG) inside it we just go to recovery install zip and I'm good? That's all there is too it

22nd April 2012, 03:06 PM   |  #7  
Flag Hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 323

595 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmellow92

So if there is a Rom with a kernel (boot.IMG) inside it we just go to recovery install zip and I'm good? That's all there is too it

nope we need to add in the code of the updater-script. I would say better stay off until we have atleast one rom with the in-built kernel flashing.
23rd April 2012, 05:25 AM   |  #8  
Flag Victorville, CA

190 posts
More
i ran controlbear.exe and it booted thru hboot fastboot usb and im on my rom its still asking "waiting device" i cant even get to the wire trick....... im on freenode but the devs are out im lost hopefully xda can help me

EDIT: my bad while on fastboot usb through Hboot, I started Controlbear.exe i ran as admin CMD opens it says the title and then starting up..... waiting device....

when i flash the boot.img first i get stuck with the JuopunutBear, green arrow, and phone.... with CMD stuck on waiting device

when i reflash my roms boot.img i run ControlBear.exe only to have the same msg on CMD waiting device but my rom boots up normal....
Last edited by ENvisiNKeD; 23rd April 2012 at 05:55 AM.
23rd April 2012, 05:27 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 200

1,630 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENvisiNKeD

i ran controlbear.exe and it booted thru hboot fastboot usb and im on my rom its still asking "waiting device" i cant even get to the wire trick....... im on freenode but the devs are out im lost hopefully xda can help me

This makes no sense at all. If you're in Android OS, something went wrong.
23rd April 2012, 06:51 AM   |  #10  
Flag Victorville, CA

190 posts
More
I gave up trying to S-off today I'm super disappointed haha but I know its my fault on something

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread