Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[GT-P6210][KERNEL][UV/OC]garyd9's GT-P6210 kernel (updated 2012-01-23)

OP garyd9

22nd April 2012, 06:45 AM   |  #221  
garyd9's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 2,006
 
1,988 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jancilo

thanks a lot
can you explain me how can i do this?
or if you have a guide...
Sorry for my english

I'm not being sarcastic or mean.. No, I can't. It's not that I don't want to, it's that I'm not capable. I tried with someone in this (or perhaps another) thread. I'm not a good teacher, as I don't have patience.
22nd April 2012, 06:48 AM   |  #222  
mike216's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag cleveland
Thanks Meter: 1,069
 
5,043 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
I'm curious where you learned Gary or is computers job related for you?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
22nd April 2012, 07:06 AM   |  #223  
garyd9's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 2,006
 
1,988 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike216

I'm curious where you learned Gary or is computers job related for you?

That's a hard question to answer. I learned back in the days when you had to know hardware to write software. My first programming lang was assembly. I learned "C" as a way to shortcut writing code - I'd write the stuff in C, and then hand-optimize the generated assembly.

For the majority of my life (I'm 41), I've been developing software, and I tend to enjoy life more when I'm closer to the hardware (which is why I enjoy kernels, but hate java.)

Where did I learn? Well.. I remember when I was about 12 years old, I was carrying a stack of punch cards at my school and dropped them. They got all out of order and someone ripped me a new one. They made me put them back in order, but I was happy just sequencing them - I had to understand what they were, what they meant, etc. I learned the basics of software development that day.

From that point forward, I learned by diving into the deep end and figuring it out as I went along. My brain seems to work well like that (at least for software/hardware - not so much in other areas.)

Oh, and it's also my profession.

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2012, 07:21 AM   |  #224  
mike216's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag cleveland
Thanks Meter: 1,069
 
5,043 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Thanks, I'm not sure my brain is big enough to learn Java but I'm going to try anyways. I'm a miserable machine mechanic at domino sugar and need a hobby and hopefully one day a way out! Just bough Java for dummys and this is where I'm going to start. I wish I grew up with a smart friend or new someone else that had the same interest. All my friends are dummys and can't move music from there computer to there phone
Look I remember periods and new sentences for ya

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
22nd April 2012, 05:01 PM   |  #225  
kzoodroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kalamazoo
Thanks Meter: 266
 
1,350 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike216

Thanks, I'm not sure my brain is big enough to learn Java but I'm going to try anyways. I'm a miserable machine mechanic at domino sugar and need a hobby and hopefully one day a way out! Just bough Java for dummys and this is where I'm going to start. I wish I grew up with a smart friend or new someone else that had the same interest. All my friends are dummys and can't move music from there computer to there phone
Look I remember periods and new sentences for ya

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Here are some of the tutorials I've found on building kernels, its a lot harder than people think, well at least for me as I'm linux illiterate. Took me a weekend to get a linux box up and running to the point of connecting to github but then ran out of free time. The android central link is a little dated, the dev was building for the HTC Hero that came out 3 years ago but its still has some useful information.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...ge-source.html

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.ph...el_from_source

http://source.android.com/source/building-kernels.html
Last edited by kzoodroid; 22nd April 2012 at 05:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kzoodroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2012, 11:42 PM   |  #226  
mike216's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag cleveland
Thanks Meter: 1,069
 
5,043 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Thanks a lot kzoodroid! I really like the first tutorial but there all good. We seem to be in the same shoes. I will start on this Wednesdays night and I'll let you know how far I can get. Going to go for galaxy nexus since there's source for it.
Sorry for getting off topic Gary! Will pm you kzoodroid if I make any progress and think I can help and likewise

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
23rd April 2012, 02:29 PM   |  #227  
kzoodroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Kalamazoo
Thanks Meter: 266
 
1,350 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike216

Thanks a lot kzoodroid! I really like the first tutorial but there all good. We seem to be in the same shoes. I will start on this Wednesdays night and I'll let you know how far I can get. Going to go for galaxy nexus since there's source for it.
Sorry for getting off topic Gary! Will pm you kzoodroid if I make any progress and think I can help and likewise

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

The link to Google's site would be the one to follow for building for the Nexus as that is what the site is meant for.

http://source.android.com/source/building-kernels.html

I was trying to follow the one from Android Central for the GTAb as source code is available from Samsung. The first step for me would be to learn how to build a Honeycomb kernel from source then move on to an AOSP kernel for CyanogenMod or MIUI. Only problem is a lack of time and/or commitment as this is just another hobby and not a priority right now.
2nd May 2012, 04:33 PM   |  #228  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 130
 
1,183 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Hi guys,

Thanks for this,

I'd recommend running this script, works fantastic, all my lag is gone;

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1137554

I'm on GT-P6210.
Last edited by SWFlyerUK; 2nd May 2012 at 04:49 PM.
6th May 2012, 06:55 AM   |  #229  
mike216's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag cleveland
Thanks Meter: 1,069
 
5,043 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Hi Gary, I know your busy learning your new device. Was wondering if your still developing for us? Please don't shoot.
Take care.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
7th May 2012, 11:28 AM   |  #230  
garyd9's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 2,006
 
1,988 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike216

Hi Gary, I know your busy learning your new device. Was wondering if your still developing for us? Please don't shoot.

There isn't much to do. My kernel for HC on this device is extremely stable for me (been about 2 months since I've rebooted it) with most of the samsung bloatware frozen. Unless samsung actually releases the wifi source, I don't see anymore need for developing this kernel.

Like everyone else, I'm waiting for ICS. Then I'll be waiting for the source release.

Gary

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes