Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Google Play Store app on A100?

OP AndroidDreamer

18th April 2012, 07:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
I have two Acer tablets, an Iconia A100 and Iconia A500. Both came with the Android Market app installed. When the Google Play Store app became available last month, my Acer Iconia A500 tablet automatically installed the new app.

My Acer Iconia A100 still has the Android Market app; it never updated to the Google Play Store app. I have the latest stock operating system (Android 3.2, Build Acer_A100_1.018.05_COM_GEN2). Google tells me that Acer is responsible for pushing the Google Play Store app to the tablet.

Have any of you in the U.S. received an automatic update to the Google Play Store app on your A100? If so, approximately how long ago? I'm fine with keeping the Android Market app, but will it work okay with Ice Cream Sandwich once that's pushed later this month?

Thanks for your assistance!
18th April 2012, 07:29 PM   |  #2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
30 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
The only difference I can discern between my "Market" app and the "Play" App is the icon.
18th April 2012, 07:35 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 47
 
197 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidDreamer

I have two Acer tablets, an Iconia A100 and Iconia A500. Both came with the Android Market app installed. When the Google Play Store app became available last month, my Acer Iconia A500 tablet automatically installed the new app.

My Acer Iconia A100 still has the Android Market app; it never updated to the Google Play Store app. I have the latest stock operating system (Android 3.2, Build Acer_A100_1.018.05_COM_GEN2). Google tells me that Acer is responsible for pushing the Google Play Store app to the tablet.

Have any of you in the U.S. received an automatic update to the Google Play Store app on your A100? If so, approximately how long ago? I'm fine with keeping the Android Market app, but will it work okay with Ice Cream Sandwich once that's pushed later this month?

Thanks for your assistance!

Only thing different is the name...on 3.2.1 it will automatically update once you click on the android market icon...the process is less than 10 seconds...maybe you should upgrade to 3.2.1?
18th April 2012, 07:50 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Thanks for your responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeb

Only thing different is the name...on 3.2.1 it will automatically update once you click on the android market icon...the process is less than 10 seconds...maybe you should upgrade to 3.2.1?

When I go to "About Tablet" and click on "System Update," it tells me "Your device is up to date." How do I get 3.2.1 on my A100? I'm not very Android-savvy beyond the basics and I don't want to mess up the tablet!
18th April 2012, 08:00 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35
 
186 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
The only thing different is the name. You are better off waiting for the ICS update next week then messing with trying to get the 3.2.1 update.
18th April 2012, 08:25 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by illego

The only thing different is the name. You are better off waiting for the ICS update next week then messing with trying to get the 3.2.1 update.

I'm actually fine with the Android Market app. My only concern is if ICS will still be pushed to my A100 around April 27th if I'm currently running 3.2, or will 3.2.1 be required before that will happen?

My Acer Iconia A500 has 3.2.1 and I received an "Iconia Tab Update Enhancement" on that tablet earlier this month (which I understand is for the A500/501 only, in preparation for ICS). Nothing like that has come through on my A100, and I'm wondering if it's because I don't have 3.2.1.
21st April 2012, 05:19 PM   |  #7  
iamdestruktor's Avatar
Senior Member
NYC
Thanks Meter: 86
 
497 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
I rather have my icon say Google Market rather that Play. The latter seems a little corny to me.

[Sent from my *voided* HTC EVO 4G running CM7 using Tapatalk]
21st April 2012, 05:47 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
After starting this thread, I sent an email to Acer. I told them that my A100 has Android 3.2 and the Android Market app, and I asked if it will be necessary to update to 3.2.1 before the 4.0 upgrade next week.

In part, here is their reply:

Quote:

I have verified your product serial number and found that the unit is covered under the standard limited warranty.

I suggest you to wait for few days as the new version of the operating system would be installed on your system sooner or later.

If you are not getting the new operating system, then you can for sure contact us back again.

Very vague. Well, a few hours after receiving their reply, my Android Market app was updated to Google Play, and I received notification of several app updates. My A100 has not been updated to 3.2.1, however. When I check on the device it still says "Your device is up to date."

The tech support person did not answer my question as to whether it's essential to have 3.2.1 before the tablet can update to 4.0. Does anyone here know? Also, how long ago did you receive the 3.2.1 update? Was it months ago or more recently?
22nd April 2012, 04:33 PM   |  #9  
Junior Member
Europe
Thanks Meter: 1
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Maybe he doesn't know. The 3.2.1 update is suppose to fix some issues with the headphones (from what I've read). PS: Version 3.2.1 was released quite a while ago.
22nd April 2012, 06:01 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Thanks for your reply, dansul. I did a Google search and learned that 3.2.1 was sent out to the U.S. in January. I also found some forum posts saying that Build GEN2 (the version I have) didn't get 3.2.1.

I'll just wait and see if 4.0 comes to my A100. If I don't see it by early May then I'll contact Acer.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android market, app, google play store
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes