Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,756 Members 50,895 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooted my Stock Gingerbread 2.3.5!

Tip us?

laughingT
Old
(Last edited by laughingT; 22nd April 2012 at 07:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 461

DONATE TO ME
couple of ideas-

Redownload sources.
Use a different usb port.

Remove the sim and sd card before you flash.

Per op, you should shut down after the first flash finishes booting.

With phone off, put it in download mode by holding both up and down volume buttons while attaching usb cable. you should see the download mode display on the phone.
Then flash kk kernal with odin.

Sent via XDA from Captivate GB I897.UCKK4 rooted
SGH-I747 (AT&T Galaxy S III, August 2013 build date),
Firmware: CM 10.2.1-d2att, with stock 4.3 modem: I747UCUEMJB.

columbiad
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingT View Post
couple of ideas-

Redownload sources.
Use a different usb port.

Remove the sim and sd card before you flash.

Per op, you should shut down after the first flash finishes booting.

With phone off, put it in download mode by holding both up and down volume buttons while attaching usb cable. you should see the download mode display on the phone.
Then flash kk kernal with odin.

Sent via XDA from Captivate GB I897.UCKK4 rooted
Thanks again. I have tried all that you have suggested and still no luck. I appreciate your time and effort.

KMan94
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiad View Post
Thanks again. I have tried all that you have suggested and still no luck. I appreciate your time and effort.
If you can get into download mode, I'd start here. If you are still on Froyo, flash the version WITH bootloaders.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1285616

If you uncomfortable with Odin, post back or drop me a note.

aragorn7
Old
Thanks Meter 304

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy3hope View Post
I am posting to say that I just successfully rooted my Captivate....

KK4 Kernel
Gingerbread 2.3.5 (Now rooted!)

As you can see I'm super excited and this is why!

Thanks to this forum! Flashing AT&T Stock Gingerbread; now KK4, Gingerbread 2.3.5
And to nakedninja42 !

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE TO WHATEVER HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE.
HOWEVER, THIS WORKED LIKE A CHARM ON MINE!

So first I ....
Updated via Kies....First to Eclair then to Froyo bc I was coming from a custom.
Begin by putting it in Download mode!!!!!

1: Flash I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears.tar for root with Odin by Placing it in the PDA slot
CLICK START.
2: Boot once, (it will install root) then shut down.
3: Download mode again!
4: Reflash the original KK4 kernel by placing it in the PDA slot in ODIN (If you do not change the kernel back to KK4 after root, you could have wifi issues)
CLICK START.
vvvvvvvvvvvv THE REST ARE nakedninja42's INSTRUCTIONS vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
5:Settings>Applications> enable Unknown Sources

7:You can also Update Superuser from market (may be updated already) https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

8: Install busybox from market
you and nakedninja42 just made my day. Thanks!!

inshakhan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Well, I've rooted my phone before (and my Nook) but I've never flashed before. So I had to do A LOT of reading to figure that part out, since the step-by-step for that is not here. But ... once I found the thread that does have the step-by-step on flashing - this rooting method worked 100% the first time! Thank you so much! My Gingerbread is now rooted!!

- Insha

wearifulcurve
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Even a Blind Squirrel.

Thanks for the post. I rooted Gingerbread 2.3.5 and lost wifi. Took a bit of searching until coming across an explanation/solution that I could understand and follow. Great translation. Didn't want to go back to an earlier version. Working like a charm now.

joeylproctor
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Rooted..sorta

Rooted using your steps G, got a pass in Odin. I have some root options like app mgr and allow unknown sources, but LBE privacy, superuser and busybox won't open, giving me a message that my phone isn't rooted. What gives? I've flashed the kernel at least a dozen times successfully and still having this problem.

4-2ndtwin
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,478

DONATE TO ME
^
If u r on the Stock GB i897ucKK4, just Odin flash the .tar KK4 Corn Kernel version 7.0A by mtcarey (see the Development Forum) and button combo into the CWM Recovery and obtain Root through the option that is in there. And just keep that kernel. No need to flash back the Stock kk4 kernel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

The Following User Says Thank You to 4-2ndtwin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Red_81
Old
Thanks Meter 624

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2ndtwin View Post
^
If u r on the Stock GB i897ucKK4, just Odin flash the .tar KK4 Corn Kernel version 7.0A by mtcarey (see the Development Forum) and button combo into the CWM Recovery and obtain Root through the option that is in there. And just keep that kernel. No need to flash back the Stock kk4 kernel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium
Here is the batch file utility I wrote to help with this process..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1680048
ADB Portable
If you like the files please donate

Forum Rule #10: Help others if you can.

Currently Running: ShoStock on my S4
The Following User Says Thank You to Red_81 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

poppo101
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Default No data connection after root

I pulled the SIM card and SD card from my phone and rooted my Captivate I897 using the method described in the original post -

1: Flash I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears.tar for root with Odin by Placing it in the PDA slot
CLICK START.
2: Boot once, (it will install root) then shut down.
3: Download mode again!
4: Reflash the original KK4 kernel by placing it in the PDA slot in ODIN (If you do not change the kernel back to KK4 after root, you could have wifi issues)
CLICK START.

All went well with the root process. I flashed both tar files. The problem is, I have no data connection since rooting the phone. I have wifi and phone but no data. I had data prior to rooting the phone.

Phone info -

Samsung-SGH-I897
Firmware - 2.3.5
Baseband - I897UCKK4
Kernal - 2.6.35.7-I897UCKK4-CL614489
Build - Gingerbread.UCKK4

The strange thing is, if I go into the default network setup and switch to manual, I see my regional carrier along with T-Mobile and AT&T. If I pick my carrier it tells me that I am registered on the network. The same goes for T-Mobile. If I try to connect to AT&T I get - Your SIM card does not allow a connection to this network - which is what I have always gotten with AT&T. I have even recreated the APN for my carrier. I have pulled the SIM card, rebooted, powered off, installed the SIM card and rebooted. The data icon does show up briefly during boot up and then disappears.

Do I need to flash back to stock and try rooting again or is there something I can do to avoid flashing back to stock?

Thanks

Bill

Tags
2.3.5, gingerbread, root, stock