Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,344 Members 53,803 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Upcoming Incredible 4g model...

Tip us?

iowabeakster
Old
(Last edited by iowabeakster; 22nd April 2012 at 02:13 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 157
Default Upcoming Incredible 4g model...

As, I approach my upgrade time. I am pondering my options... and wondering what others are thinking.

When I first read about this phone model (the upcoming Incredible 4g), I was not not especially impressed. But with more leaked info, I wonder is this actually my ideal (or very near ideal) phone.

1. It supposedly will have the S4 Krait processor. This is an upgrade over anything currently on Verizon. I didn't realize that it was going to get this processor. If it doesn't have this processor, then I really don't have any interest. I thought the Incredible 4g was just a smaller Rezound. I was wrong. This processor is an improvement over phones like the Rezound and G Nexus.

2. I have not liked the idea of the newer phones eliminating the SD card. This phone will have a SD card slot... plus 8 gigs internal.

3. It will have a removable battery, another thing that myself and many others have not liked about other new models coming out. I have managed to get excellent life out of my stock Dinc1 battery... but I've always been happy to know that there are bigger replacements available if I wanted them... or if the stock battery were to get weak with age.

4. I am torn by the manufacturers making screens bigger and bigger on phones (and with greater and greater numbers of pixels to control and illuminate). Those screens sure look nice... but I'm not crazy about how much power they use. The Incredible 4g has a qHD 4" screen, so it should look nice enough, and not use that much juice (compared to the 720p phones with 4.7" screens). Also importantly to me, it will be comfortable to stick in my pockets. I just don't watch movies or TV shows on my phone. Yeah, I've done it, just to do it. But, I've got more comfortable options... like our couch and plasma TV (or even our computers).

5. Integrated LTE on the chip? 4g speeds... less battery usage than current 4g phones... thaz awesome...

6. 1gig RAM... same as everything else out there...

7. Nice enough camera (same as ONE series)... Beats (meh whatever)... etc...

8. I do play games, to kill time on my phone, but I often tend to prefer the casual type puzzle games. High performance gaming isn't especially important to me, but still this phone should be nicely capable of playing most games very well.

I know this phone does not follow the "slim and sexy" trend that is happening in phone fashion. I just wonder if I am the only weirdo "anti-fashion" person out there. Plus it looks to be reasonably priced. Anybody else think this phone looks preferable than the other new options coming?

And most importantly... anybody think this phone will get good developer support? Just wondering how others view this phone...
The Following User Says Thank You to iowabeakster For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Div033
Old
Thanks Meter 266
I also approach my upgrade time (I think its in June) and as it approaches I'm paying more attention to what's out there. This new incredible seems to hit all the right spots. The only thing I wish it had wad a 720p screen. Qhd certainly isn't a deal breaker though.

I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement of the Incredible 4G. However I'm also waiting to see what the Galaxy S3 has to offer. I may end up waiting a little longer for that. I dont mind morw waiting as I love my incredible and its simply the best phone I've ever owned.

If my incredible broke today and I was offered an early upgrade id probably opt for a Razr Maxx.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the XDA app.
Device: HTC One M8 (VZW)
ROM: CleanROM
Retired Devices: Samsung Galaxy S III (VZW), HTC Droid Incredible

Alton (Halo 2)
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div033 View Post
I also approach my upgrade time (I think its in June) and as it approaches I'm paying more attention to what's out there. This new incredible seems to hit all the right spots. The only thing I wish it had wad a 720p screen. Qhd certainly isn't a deal breaker though.

I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement of the Incredible 4G. However I'm also waiting to see what the Galaxy S3 has to offer. I may end up waiting a little longer for that. I dont mind morw waiting as I love my incredible and its simply the best phone I've ever owned.

If my incredible broke today and I was offered an early upgrade id probably opt for a Razr Maxx.

Does the early upgrade cost more ?

Sent from my ADR6300 using xda premium

Div033
Old
Thanks Meter 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton (Halo 2) View Post

Sent from my ADR6300 using xda premium
Can't tell ya. I've never been offered one!

Device: HTC One M8 (VZW)
ROM: CleanROM
Retired Devices: Samsung Galaxy S III (VZW), HTC Droid Incredible

iowabeakster
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 157

not exactly. early upgrade is an incentive.

verizon emailed me an early upgrade offer for 50 bucks off any new phone last week...

and today snail mailed me an offer for 100 dollars off.

they just want you contracting another 2 years... thats where the real money is at.
The Following User Says Thank You to iowabeakster For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ohredwood
Old
Thanks Meter 18
My upgrade was up the first of April, and I watched it go by. Honestly, for what I really do with the phone it just didn't make sense to drop the coin on something new that would meet or exceed some of my expectations but let me down in others.

One of the biggest drawbacks to most of these phones coming out (IMO....) is the size of em. Damn, if I wanted an Ipad, I'd buy the dang thing.... These new phones look beautiful but having to wear a hubcap around my waist because it won't fit in my pockets anymore, I just don't dig.

I have been so pleased with the first gen INC that when I heard the INC 4g was coming out, and the screen size, man, I said that's the ticket, faster, and still good size, removable batt, sd card, I'm in, I'm all in......

Ruggerxpunk
Old
Thanks Meter 92
You raise a very good argument on the OP. The only thing I would need is a guarantee that Devs will get CM9 running on it. My Dinc right now is perfect with CM9.
Click to follow me on:

tiny4579
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,174
Not sure how many Inc devs can or will get the Inc 4g due to all getting the rezound. And there's no guarantee of anything before its done. Most likely it will get cm9 but don't quote me on that.

And ics, while OK on the Inc is far from perfect. Camcorder and video don't work 100% on cm9. One of the reasons I got the nexus is to have the best initial support with ICS working smooth without any complex porting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dezignstuff
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I'm glad to see some people with something positive to say about this phone. There has been a lot of bad reaction out there for what ever reason. I suspect its people just not understanding about the processor. I've got an upgrade on the 25th, and this thing is supposed to hit the 26th. I'm pretty excited.

I'll probably use it the first month pretty much stock, and then start branching out as things become available. Also looking forward to CM9. I may keep a recovery around to play with and one for actual use with 100% function. If it doesn't come with a 32 gb class 10 sd card, that will be my first upgrade to it. Hoping they pack a nice battery in it.

I think as a OneS variant, there won't be too much difficulty finding devs to take interest.

NightxFall
Old
(Last edited by NightxFall; 23rd April 2012 at 05:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezignstuff View Post
I'm glad to see some people with something positive to say about this phone. There has been a lot of bad reaction out there for what ever reason. I suspect its people just not understanding about the processor. I've got an upgrade on the 25th, and this thing is supposed to hit the 26th. I'm pretty excited.

I'll probably use it the first month pretty much stock, and then start branching out as things become available. Also looking forward to CM9. I may keep a recovery around to play with and one for actual use with 100% function. If it doesn't come with a 32 gb class 10 sd card, that will be my first upgrade to it. Hoping they pack a nice battery in it.

I think as a OneS variant, there won't be too much difficulty finding devs to take interest.
Well we have 4 days til launch, almost 3, and we've received no word of demo units coming in. So unless they come in tomorrow, I'm doubting that April 26th launch. Perhaps that's when the demo units are coming in? I believe the leaked documents did say "Device workshop" on April 26th.(Although I'm not all too sure what that is). It definitely should be coming within the next two weeks if it misses that release date though.

This phone will certainly be the perfect phone for me when it comes out, if the rumored specs are true. Really hoping this phone gets good dev support too.