Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,064 Members 40,701 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Are HD2's buttons fragile?

Tip us?

bib*oops
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Thank you, Mister B, but i'd rather preffer a reply from enigma1nz !
On a sided note: maybe 1 hour is not enough, but 2 hours of effective labour should be enough!
If I've ever helped you, don't miss THANKS button
TG01powered by Cedesmith-retired
TMobile HD2/Leo(sim-free)-powered by TBD
Sensation(sim-free)-powered by Android Revolution
I91000(sim-free)-powered by Siyah
SHV-E120S(sim-free)-powered by davidcsv
A kick in the butts is always a step forward...
jianC Old
Thanks Meter
This is all from my experience (and I don't mean to say I am amazing at it) but it only takes me ~20 minutes to start with an unopened phone and get to the digitizer/lcd assembly (spend 10 minutes heating the tape bonding digitizer/lcd assembly to metal frame with a blow dryer) ... I would say it takes approximately 1 hour max for someone who is experienced with working with HD2's and no where near 2 hours..

bib*oops
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by e334 View Post
This is all from my experience (and I don't mean to say I am amazing at it) but it only takes me ~20 minutes to start with an unopened phone and get to the digitizer/lcd assembly (spend 10 minutes heating the tape bonding digitizer/lcd assembly to metal frame with a blow dryer) ... I would say it takes approximately 1 hour max for someone who is experienced with working with HD2's and no where near 2 hours..
I agree with you (even I'm not a professional), but I'm still waiting for enigma1nz's(professional) opinion!
If I've ever helped you, don't miss THANKS button
TG01powered by Cedesmith-retired
TMobile HD2/Leo(sim-free)-powered by TBD
Sensation(sim-free)-powered by Android Revolution
I91000(sim-free)-powered by Siyah
SHV-E120S(sim-free)-powered by davidcsv
A kick in the butts is always a step forward...

adone.h
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I use my HD2 since 2 years and I think the buttons are not frigile, and in any case I love physical buttons, they work with system in stand by and it is possible to response to the incoming calling easy without see the phone.

webman111
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Wink HD2 Button Issue

I've had one power button issue. Had to get the touch screen replaced too. I've had this phone about a year and half. I am finally running WP7 on it thanks to xdadevelopers.

Datsun.510
Old
Thanks Meter 1322

DONATE TO ME
I have own a few HD2. The buttons themselves are not fragile, the flexboard behind the buttons (Specially Power Button) is the real fragile part, and because of this you must take real care when pressing them.

Using this Rom http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1441462
Cause I love the bottom Navigation Bar. I don't need to have Button Savior or any other app like that installed. I use the bottoms on the left side (Green key, Home, or Meny) to turn on the phone, and never touch the others. This HD2 I have now has no problems and its running great. I love the HD2 its an awesome phone.

mario_net
Old
Thanks Meter 1
mine's so far so good after 1 year's use
anyway try your best to protect them from running out

Mister B
Old
(Last edited by Mister B; 4th May 2012 at 12:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 331
We had over 25 HD2s in company use at it's height & 3 have had button flex replaced, 2 as a particular button cap departed from board & 1 as all button function was lost.
Having stripped & looked at them they are not the best I have seen & compared to some earlier HTC button designs & the HTC Desires button design far from very good, only really tends to be an issue for over forceful or very very frequent usage over a long time.
The loose sloppy button pad & volume key was not the best quality feeling for what was the HTC flagship in a competitive smartphone arena.
How I wish the Desire buttons & track wheel had been implemented on the HD2 rather than rattly 4 key design they rolled out with ...
But having physical buttons of any type is preferable to touch button or no buttons ...
[DEVICE1] : [HD2] [EU late model, socket lcd & samsung nand]
[ROM] : [Energy Dinik 23699 Nov24]
[OS] [WindowsMobile® 6.5.x][CHT2.0.S2.5]
[RADIO] : [2.12.50.02_2]

[DEVICE2] : [Raphael] [sold]
[ROM] : [Energy Dinik 23699]
[OS] [WindowsMobile® 6.5.x]
[RADIO] : [1.14.25.05 + RILPHONE.DLL]
[SOFTWARE] : [Mortscript] [MyMobiler] [CeRegEditor] [SkypeMobile] [FingerKBD Eng/Thai (WVGA)] [Thai Font/Input SIP] [IM+]

XdaDevelopers 95
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'm using Htc Hd2 for over 2 years and the buttons are very good.

walts
Old
Thanks Meter 70
I've had my HD2 for nearly a year; I bought it used, and all buttons were working back then. IN the last month the power button started to fail intermittently and now has quit completely. This is a problem because I flash new ROMs frequently, and the power button is essential to get into MAGLDR's menu. Right now I have MAGLDR set to always boot into its ment, which has its own problems. If you don't notice the phone has rebooted, it just sits there at the MAGLDR menu forever.

I'd like to repair the buttons myself, and have a bit of experience in working on electronics in general and have disassembled a few phones. The instructions I find on the Internet are generally terrible!

Would one of you folks who has experience working with this phone please post a link to some good instructions, and some parts suppliers? It would be a big help

TIA
Walt
Motorola Xoom tablet, CM-10.1 Wingray nightly (20130527)
Kindle Fire, CM 10.1 Otter nightly (20130523)
iPhone 4 jailbroken iOS 6.1.3
HTC Droid Incredible, CM 10 (20121120)
Previous devices:
HTC HD2, JB-Beta1 [CLK], T-Mobile voice-only SIM.
Toshiba Thrive tablet, rooted stock 3.2 ROM
HTC HD2 TyphooN CyanogenMod 7 Nightly v3.7.5
8525 vp3G 3.62.3 no sim
8925 Ultimate-X2.V4 WM6.5, Radio 1.65