[Guide] *NOOB's* guide to flashing FROYO <> With the GB release

OP mad_fitter

18th February 2012, 05:04 PM   |  #181  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
recovery link down
Can someone post the link for the recovery i kind of really need it ...
19th February 2012, 03:34 AM   |  #182  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,165

2,204 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadsxben

Can someone post the link for the recovery i kind of really need it ...

If you are on stock Froyo and trying upgrade to Gingerbread, root or flash a custom kernel I think you will find this guide easier:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=21954884
22nd April 2012, 09:30 AM   |  #183  

17 posts
Thanks a lot.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsexton702

HAHAHAHA man good job on sending me that personal message i was in the process of typing everything!!! wonderful guide! keep up the good work!!

Hello. I am a kind of a new user to Galaxy s 4g. Very good steps. I downloaded one of the rom's from here called Vallhala from team kang. After I copied it to my SD card I think its my sd card. I go to files from apps then DCIM then I saw it there. I turned my phone off. I pressed all three buttons that u were talking about, it went to the black screen with the droid robot and I navigated it to where I saw the DCIM and Vallhala there I pressed power button and it said download aborted not enough s place on the system or something like that. I am very sorry if sound confusing. All I am trying to do is just get the custom rom and make my phone faster and customize it. When u say copy to the root of your sd card is the same thing as DCIM cause that's only similar file to my sd card I can find. I am very sorry again for bothering you and taking your time. My phone is rooted. If you can help thanks a lot.
22nd April 2012, 12:33 PM   |  #184  
Recognized Contributor

2,204 posts
Donate to Me
More
Read the first link in my signature. It will explain the process to you.

Not knowing what all you did in the guide - just understand IF you are on Froyo that Valhalla is a 2.3.6 Gingerbread based ROM. If you are on Froyo and want to upgrade to Gingerbread you will need Gingerbread bootloaders.

If you are indeed still on Froyo and rooted - follow the second link in my signature and flash with bootloaders. Then you can use the directions where applicable in the first link to flash the custom ROM in CWM.

If you are on Gingerbread - what you are trying to flash the ROM in is called CWM Recovery. If the text color is blue when you boot into recovery to flash the ROM - that is not CWM Recovery. It is stock android recovery. The text color needs to be orangish red to indicate you have CWM. To have CWM you need a custom kernal. In that case (being rooted and on Gingerbread) use the first link's guide and start where it talks about flashing a custom kernel using SGS Kernel Flasher.

You will know you do not have Gingerbread bootloaders if you flash a Gingerbread based ROM - when you boot your phone and see a rainbow like screen. This means you need Gingerbread bootloaders.

Good luck!
Last edited by lumin30; 22nd April 2012 at 01:36 PM.
22nd April 2012, 06:43 PM   |  #185  

17 posts
Thanks again
Thanks a lot for explaining to me. I think I have Gingerbread.VUVKJ6. Cause when i go to settings and then about a phone it says that Kernel version 2.6.35.7-T959VUKJ6-CL694130. so I am probably on a stock kernel and I am gonna try to follow your link to get a custom kernel. Thanks again for being very helpful.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

hello everyone. When u guys say download it to the root of you sd card, what do you mean by that??? When i plug my phone thru usb the only sd file like type of folder i find is DCIM its called do I just copy that kernel zip there???? When I go to my Apps and then click files there is no sd card there is DCIM and thats what I think my sd card files are.
22nd April 2012, 07:33 PM   |  #186  
Recognized Contributor

2,204 posts
Donate to Me
More
I explain root of sd card in the guide. Read all of it. The root of sd card is the shell/main folder. When you plug your sd card into the computer and open it to look - that is the root of the sd card. Where you see all the other folders on the card.

The place where you see the DCIM folder is the root. DCIM is generally where your pictures from your camera are saved. You can flash the kernel in SGS Kernel Flasher from any folder on the sd card. Just browse to it and select it. And double check gou have a SGH-T959V before doing anything else. Look under the battery.

And hit thanks when people help you.
Last edited by lumin30; 22nd April 2012 at 07:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to lumin30 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2012, 07:20 PM   |  #187  

17 posts
Rom
Hello again I am very sorry for bothering again. What if I got the rom but I think I made a misstake and I dont want it anymore. Is there any ways to get back to the normal mode, thank you again for being so patient with me.
23rd April 2012, 07:30 PM   |  #188  
Recognized Contributor

2,204 posts
Donate to Me
More
Do you want stock or a different custom ROM?
23rd April 2012, 07:31 PM   |  #189  

17 posts
Lost Apps
How do restore all my apps, after downloading a rom a backed them up in the titanium back up I have no idea, where anything is at. If someone please help me i would really really aprecciate that. I will a take a stock I am very sorry again Lumin for bothering you
23rd April 2012, 07:35 PM   |  #190  
Recognized Contributor

2,204 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliamais

How do restore all my apps, after downloading a rom a backed them up in the titanium back up I have no idea, where anything is at. If someone please help me i would really really aprecciate that.

I would be cautious what you restore vs reinstalling from the market. I always recommend installing fresh from the market to avoid problems.

But either way you need to reinstall TB to restore what you choose to restore. Your back ups are on your sd card.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread