Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,035 Members 40,299 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][2.2+]Holo File Explorer (Update 4-11-2012)

Tip us?

KingCreole
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Waiting for root, too.
And, a little bug: when you select "Dark" theme on settings, you cannot see the name of the folder/file, cause the font color is black, as the background.
Keep on Rocking

_kolle_
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Great app so far. Two comments from me :
- alphabetical sorting is wrong for me (see Screenshot)
- why is there a confirmation dialog for exiting the app? Imho its obsolete ;)

Greetz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1335119464772.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1019157  

_kolle_
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCreole View Post
Waiting for root, too.
And, a little bug: when you select "Dark" theme on settings, you cannot see the name of the folder/file, cause the font color is black, as the background.
Restarting the app should fix that
The Following User Says Thank You to _kolle_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

XlAfbk
Old
Thanks Meter 254
just wondering, since it seems most people are only waiting for root to adopt this app, is there any eta?

MartyHulskemper
Old
Thanks Meter 365
bkensey, I'm going to give it a whirl when I have some time on my hands. If I find anything, I'll let you know.

FredFS456
Old
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by _kolle_ View Post
- alphabetical sorting is wrong for me (see Screenshot)Greetz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holo File Explorer on G+
Holo File Explorer
Apr 17, 2012 - Public
There are times when I hate code :P I was all set to release an update tonight, with an "up one level" button, case independent alphabetical sorting, and the new ShareActionProvider instead of the old share menu, but the ShareActionProvider has decided to be difficult. Can't even press the action button on my test build. Stumped for tonight but hopefully we'll have something new by tomorrow night.
Follow him on G+ to see updates. I'm guessing there's no ETA on root, because he's just one person working on this in his spare time. I wonder if we could convince him to open-source (not likely) or invite other collaborators... (slightly more likely)

bkanuka
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFS456 View Post
Follow him on G+ to see updates. I'm guessing there's no ETA on root, because he's just one person working on this in his spare time. I wonder if we could convince him to open-source (not likely) or invite other collaborators... (slightly more likely)
Why is open-sourcing a project unlikely? Open source does not necessarily mean free binaries for everybody, nor does it mean no money. I certainly would pay a few bucks on the play store for this app - and in fact I would be more likely to pay for an open source app.

Sent from my A500 using xda premium

FredFS456
Old
Thanks Meter 123
I guess that's true... you do need to know how to compile to get a binary out of it. It would probably be easier to just download the app and pull the apk on a rooted phone if one wants to pirate. Hm. I hope he seriously considers open sourcing this app, as it would be more likely to make it into CM9 or other roms if this app were open sourced. I would pay for the full version of this app whether it is open source or not, but I would prefer open source for the dev community's sake.

bkensey
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 80
Quote:
I have actually been considering this over the past few weeks. I know my current pace is probably driving everyone nuts, since the whole job/life thing leaves little time for my hobby. I have been working but it's just not as fast as it was before I got my current job. I'm currently working on zip file handling, and I have single and multi file zipping working. Just need to finish archive viewing and extraction.

But anyways, do you think anyone would even want to contribute? It isn't the kind of thing people just do on a whim. It takes a lot of time and dedication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkanuka View Post
Why is open-sourcing a project unlikely? Open source does not necessarily mean free binaries for everybody, nor does it mean no money. I certainly would pay a few bucks on the play store for this app - and in fact I would be more likely to pay for an open source app.

Sent from my A500 using xda premium
I do think there are some downsides to the open-sourcing process. I'd hate for someone else to just steal my work and pass it off as their own, but I guess that might be something I'm willing to risk. I'd like other programmers out there to be able to learn from some of the things I've done, and I would welcome the opportunity to have people help out. I'm not saying that such collaboration would appear overnight, because I definitely have some things to learn about managing a git repo, but it would help a lot.

Quote:
I guess that's true... you do need to know how to compile to get a binary out of it. It would probably be easier to just download the app and pull the apk on a rooted phone if one wants to pirate. Hm. I hope he seriously considers open sourcing this app, as it would be more likely to make it into CM9 or other roms if this app were open sourced. I would pay for the full version of this app whether it is open source or not, but I would prefer open source for the dev community's sake.
Making it into CM9 would be a dream come true. I've fantasized about it many times, haha. I would also love to make it available for rom devs out there too, but again, the app needs to be mature first.

So what does everyone think? I'd love to hear different opinions and arguments on the idea. Anyone out there who would seriously like to collaborate?
The Following User Says Thank You to bkensey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FredFS456
Old
Thanks Meter 123
I'm in general supportive of this app going open-source (if only what becomes the free version). I would like to contribute, but, unfortunately, all I know as of this moment is some very basic Java. =P Hopefully there are devs out there that are willing to collaborate with you (seeing the quality of this app, there probably will be).

Tags
app, file explorer, holo, ics