Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,815 Members 40,510 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Football Manager Handheld - Does it work?

Tip us?

Claytop
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Football Manager Handheld - Does it work?

I've read recently that Football Manager Handheld has been released on android and have seen it on the market, but was just wondering if it will run on the Touchpad?

Don't want to spend 7 and it then been incompatible!!

Thanks

Marc Vaughan
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytop View Post
I've read recently that Football Manager Handheld has been released on android and have seen it on the market, but was just wondering if it will run on the Touchpad?

Don't want to spend 7 and it then been incompatible!!

Thanks
The only report I've had of someone playing the game on a TouchPad indicated it ran but the input was sometimes erratic.

Exactly what that means (and do bear in mind this isn't 'official' information not at all verfied - I'm just passing on what I read on another forum) I'm afraid I have no idea as we haven't tested on a TouchPad in-house, as a non-true Android device its somewhat out of scope of our QA labs resources - sorry I can't be more help, unfortunately I don't own one myself.

marcouk2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Confirming that it does run but input is a bit erratic at times.

Marc Vaughan
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcouk2 View Post
Confirming that it does run but input is a bit erratic at times.
Out of interest when you say 'erratic' could you explain what you mean a little more accurately, I don't own a TouchPad so can't test it here - but I'd be happy to try and improve the games performance if I can understand whats happening.

Its possible that the update will do this already - there was an issue on a minority of tablets* where 'clicks' were sometimes not registering 100% of the time which I've improved already.

*Mainly some of the more obscure Chinese imports, they appear to have more 'lax' input detection so the precise pixel detected by touch wobbled around a fair bit making the game unsure if the user was clicking or trying to swipe or just accidentally touching the screen ... the update tunes things with these devices in mind, its possible this will help the TouchPad also if thats the issue involved.

stothy862
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Out of interest when you say 'erratic' could you explain what you mean a little more accurately, I don't own a TouchPad so can't test it here - but I'd be happy to try and improve the games performance if I can understand whats happening.

Its possible that the update will do this already - there was an issue on a minority of tablets* where 'clicks' were sometimes not registering 100% of the time which I've improved already.

*Mainly some of the more obscure Chinese imports, they appear to have more 'lax' input detection so the precise pixel detected by touch wobbled around a fair bit making the game unsure if the user was clicking or trying to swipe or just accidentally touching the screen ... the update tunes things with these devices in mind, its possible this will help the TouchPad also if thats the issue involved.
I have found it crashes on random occasions with the force close message. No such problem to report on my HTC Desire of much lower specs.

Marc Vaughan
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stothy862 View Post
I have found it crashes on random occasions with the force close message. No such problem to report on my HTC Desire of much lower specs.
Is it a 'real crash' or is it just busy processing? - the game shouldn't hog processing power to the extent that this happens, but tbh Android shouldn't exist on the TouchPad at all really ... so I've no idea of its performance characteristics or whether there are any specific bottlenecks which might cause issues.

stothy862
Old
Thanks Meter 3
It's a busy processing one that despite waiting for a long period of time doesn't respond! Also, still getting erratic input i.e. can't always select a button.

Still very playable, loving the game! KUTGW!

Marc Vaughan
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stothy862 View Post
It's a busy processing one that despite waiting for a long period of time doesn't respond! Also, still getting erratic input i.e. can't always select a button.
Thats strange as the game is multi-threaded on purpose to avoid this sort of issue.

That and the 'erratic input' might indicate that the device is straining to play the game at a decent rate - does anyone know if the TouchPad run apk's natively or does it interpret them on the fly?

(I'm more than happy to try and make things smoother - but don't have a TouchPad and doubt SEGA would purchase one for QA because its not 'truly' an android device)

Quote:
Still very playable, loving the game! KUTGW!
Glad you're enjoying it - I'll do my best to iron out the issues you've mentioned if I can get more information about them.

stothy862
Old
(Last edited by stothy862; 10th May 2012 at 04:25 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
You are very welcome! Very sad to see the pirating statistics!

Latest release strangely seems to have stopped force closing (fingers crossed) but erratic input is still bugging.

EDIT: Talked that up.