FORUMS

T-Mobile Galaxy S6 Battery Woes

I’ve been using a T-Mobile Galaxy S6 since the device launched with T-mobile’s … more

Earthquake Early Warning in Your Pocket

Probably all of us reading this have a smartphone in our pocket. For many of us, the … more

Sony: The OEM You Want To Save

In our recent Discuss article, we asked you readers on which OEM you would like to help. While the … more

How to Lock and Protect Your Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

The smartphone revolution has passed. Everybody has mobile apps. Some of … more

Deep sleep

1,642 posts
Thanks Meter: 189
 
By balintmaci, Senior Member on 22nd April 2012, 09:34 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
So in neutrino thread we were arguing about deepsleep mode, anyone can check it out, i decided to start a thread about it here, because i don't want to OT in dev thread.

The question is, what sleep mode really does.
Does it turn off the CPU completely or just enters it into a low freq state?
i know that it turns off most stuff but this is about CPU now.

comments are welcome, but possible show proof
 
 
23rd April 2012, 12:29 PM |#2  
0kando0's Avatar
Member
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Hmm..

After seeing this I tried doing a quick google search. I always thought the cpu just entered a low frequency state but maybe it shuts off completely?

http://developer.android.com/referen...stemClock.html

"This clock stops when the system enters deep sleep (CPU off, display dark, device waiting for external input), but is not affected by clock scaling, idle, or other power saving mechanisms."


Either way bump for interest.
23rd April 2012, 04:16 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dunavarsány
Thanks Meter: 189
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0kando0

Hmm..

After seeing this I tried doing a quick google search. I always thought the cpu just entered a low frequency state but maybe it shuts off completely?

http://developer.android.com/referen...stemClock.html

"This clock stops when the system enters deep sleep (CPU off, display dark, device waiting for external input), but is not affected by clock scaling, idle, or other power saving mechanisms."


Either way bump for interest.

yeah we've found that link too
appearently wasn't enough for the others...
23rd April 2012, 05:39 PM |#4  
0kando0's Avatar
Member
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Admittedly weak source. Surprising lack of information for a quick search though.

I also found this conversation.

http://groups.google.com/group/andro...&lnk=ol&&pli=1

They mention deep sleep a few times and nobody contradicts the idea that your cpu shuts off.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

I did a search for all posts containing deep sleep.

http://developer.android.com/search.html#q=deep sleep&t=0

85 results if anybody wants to dig a little bit.
23rd April 2012, 11:44 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 62
 
Donate to Me
More
Today, most off our digital mobile technology is made using CMOS technology. This construction of logic gates only draws power when switching (when clocked). The CPU is made up of thousands of cmos logic gates. when the clock is stopped, the CPU holds it's current state. This is what deep sleep mode does. This is similar to your computer going into sleep or hibernation mode. simply stopping the system clock allows for nearly zero power consumption and retention of state.

(I am a computer engineer)

Sent from my MB860 using XDA
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ar31791 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th April 2012, 11:16 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dunavarsány
Thanks Meter: 189
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar31791

Today, most off our digital mobile technology is made using CMOS technology. This construction of logic gates only draws power when switching (when clocked). The CPU is made up of thousands of cmos logic gates. when the clock is stopped, the CPU holds it's current state. This is what deep sleep mode does. This is similar to your computer going into sleep or hibernation mode. simply stopping the system clock allows for nearly zero power consumption and retention of state.

(I am a computer engineer)

Sent from my MB860 using XDA

thank you very much sir.
24th April 2012, 10:53 PM |#7  
Bruce Lee's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 380
 
More
By the way... you can check the deep sleep process with the app CPU spy.

Sent from my ATRIX using the Premium XDA App
25th April 2012, 06:31 AM |#8  
Erebus671's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Yigo, Guam
Thanks Meter: 157
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar31791

Today, most off our digital mobile technology is made using CMOS technology. This construction of logic gates only draws power when switching (when clocked). The CPU is made up of thousands of cmos logic gates. when the clock is stopped, the CPU holds it's current state. This is what deep sleep mode does. This is similar to your computer going into sleep or hibernation mode. simply stopping the system clock allows for nearly zero power consumption and retention of state.

(I am a computer engineer)

Sent from my MB860 using XDA

Thanks for that, I'm a technician, not an engineer, so my access to that type of info is slightly limited, do you think you could provide some more in-depth details? Much appreciated.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium
25th April 2012, 06:35 AM |#9  
Erebus671's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Yigo, Guam
Thanks Meter: 157
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voelker45

By the way... you can check the deep sleep process with the app CPU spy.

Sent from my ATRIX using the Premium XDA App

CPU spy only tells you if it has been used and how much it has been used, nothing more.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium
25th April 2012, 08:28 PM |#10  
Bruce Lee's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 380
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus671

CPU spy only tells you if it has been used and how much it has been used, nothing more.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium

That's what I meant to say.... thanks

Sent from my ATRIX using the Premium XDA App
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes