Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,606 Members 47,747 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 8gb over 16gb

Tip us?

grrmisfit
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Default [Q] 8gb over 16gb

so my nook color went belly up on me.. my geek squad warranty got me a full replacement or exchange for an upgrade. so i took upgrade.. but i did little to no research as i had expected them to just fix it.. so asking the sales rep when isaw the tablets i asked " whats the diff from the 8gb to 16gb" his reply "storage space" .. now i come home head to xda only to find out theres a ram difference.. question is.. is there a huge difference in the ram usage? do any android apps really need more then 512 ram? or should i just fork over the extra 50 bucks and get the 16gb

old_fart
Old
Thanks Meter 88
my two cents worth, pay the fifty to get the sixteen . . .

Solar.Plexus
Old
Thanks Meter 321
If you ask me, the extra $50 is worth it. You have double the storage and double the RAM. In addition, development on the 16GB model is further along and you'd have more choices of ROMs and get better support if you're stuck. This is just my opinion though.

Cubanluke88
Old
Thanks Meter 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar.Plexus View Post
If you ask me, the extra $50 is worth it. You have double the storage and double the RAM. In addition, development on the 16GB model is further along and you'd have more choices of ROMs and get better support if you're stuck. This is just my opinion though.
+1 to this

grrmisfit
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
just left best buy with my new 16gb lol.. 73 bucks more including an anything goes warranty

old_fart
Old
Thanks Meter 88
twenty four bucks for 'peace of mind', aye. . well you'll sleep better at night. . but the h/w and construction seems to be 'very good' quality.
i've had mine for five months, so now i want to crack it open and see what's inside ! . it's a curse having the curiosity of a little kid... ( still )

tmjohnsonfse
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_fart View Post
twenty four bucks for 'peace of mind', aye. . well you'll sleep better at night. . but the h/w and construction seems to be 'very good' quality.
i've had mine for five months, so now i want to crack it open and see what's inside ! . it's a curse having the curiosity of a little kid... ( still )
Watch Adam's video cracking it open the XDA way. It was very well made and took the curiousity from the cat....atleast for me it did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA1vQiDW9Ms

old_fart
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjohnsonfse View Post
Watch Adam's video cracking it open the XDA way. It was very well made and took the curiousity from the cat....atleast for me it did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA1vQiDW9Ms
yeah, very cool, and what ARE THOSE mystery connectors and chip pads on the circuit board ? ? ? . hmmm, can we wire in a gps & bluetooth chip for ourselves ? ? ? . . i'm game !
and the first half of the video is blurry on purpose to protect himself from the nook lawyers ? ? ? . . . . . you know the joke about sharks and lawyers, right ?

grrmisfit
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
im using the same sd card loaded cm7 so i havent even gone into the registering process on it. should i register it with BN or just take it to BN have them repartition it and flash away>?

old_fart
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrmisfit View Post
should i register it with BN
always register your stuff. . that way, they get to spam you for the rest of your life. no, seriously, its for the warantee, right ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrmisfit View Post
or just take it to BN have them repartition it and flash away>?
i am sorry... i don't understand what you said...