No registration required

Wood Cases?

OP proxy0

18th April 2012, 06:17 PM   |  #21  
Flag Wisconsin
Thanks Meter: 9

64 posts
More
Unfortunately all iphones (mostly useless post) these look nice, if only for our phone.

http://www.ewoodcases.com/products.html

For anyone wanting to try and mod a case to fit.
Samsung sgs2 Wooden case's
Last edited by twizted_dreams1; 18th April 2012 at 06:21 PM.
19th April 2012, 05:30 AM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 259

534 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by twizted_dreams1

Unfortunately all iphones (mostly useless post) these look nice, if only for our phone.

http://www.ewoodcases.com/products.html

For anyone wanting to try and mod a case to fit.
Samsung sgs2 Wooden case's

Our phone is quite significantly larger than the S2, so it's impossible to mod.

Anyways, I'm looking into building still, got all the dimensions worked out and stuff. I'll probably build from balsa, due to the lack of any real tools on my end. I'll be carving it by hand.

After measuring out though, I got the idea to remove the plastic casing from the phone.... and build an entirely new shell instead. Thoughts?

Edit: looks like I might actually be able to do this, and layer up a balsa shell replacement. Main catch is the antennae and speaker are mounted to the plastic, with seemingly no way to remove them without destroying said plastic.

....anyone care to donate a shell, for science?

EditEdit: Since these will be hand-made, I can put some variation into each, depending on what is wanted. For instance, removing the SD card reader gains me an extra 1.5-2mm in order to make it thinner. When combined with a SGS (1) battery, I can shave close to 2mm off the original case thickness.
Last edited by Zurginator; 19th April 2012 at 06:15 AM.
19th April 2012, 12:14 PM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 8

37 posts
You've somehow managed to pick the one type of wood I'd be least comfortable wrapping my phone in, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. I'm looking forward to seeing a finalized product though! Should be a beauty.
19th April 2012, 03:13 PM   |  #24  

534 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotelZambia

You've somehow managed to pick the one type of wood I'd be least comfortable wrapping my phone in, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. I'm looking forward to seeing a finalized product though! Should be a beauty.

Yeah, it's an unfortunate side-effect of having no real tools to work with.

However, any kind of wood really won't hold up well to a drop at all. Balsa will at least have some give... but no matter what a single drop is going to ruin a wood case.
19th April 2012, 04:37 PM   |  #25  
Washington, D.C.
Thanks Meter: 32

260 posts
More
Good luck

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
20th April 2012, 05:29 AM   |  #26  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9

98 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurginator

Yeah, it's an unfortunate side-effect of having no real tools to work with.

However, any kind of wood really won't hold up well to a drop at all. Balsa will at least have some give... but no matter what a single drop is going to ruin a wood case.

Yeah, I don't really do intense work with my phone.

This should be interesting. I'm excited to see how it turns out. How much would you charge for one?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
21st April 2012, 11:12 PM   |  #27  

534 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy0

Yeah, I don't really do intense work with my phone.

This should be interesting. I'm excited to see how it turns out. How much would you charge for one?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Depends on how long it takes me to build. ATM I haven't started (other than measuring and building 3D mock-ups), because I've been REALLY busy at work. Next week I should have some free time, so we'll see what happens. No promises though.
22nd April 2012, 11:02 PM   |  #28  
Flag Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 139

1,050 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheno.menon

Just out of curiosity, why the attachment to wood?

Are you a lumberjack or something?

Transmission sent from a Galaxy S II, CODENAME style.

That bug in your signature just scared the **** out of me!
The Following User Says Thank You to deedscreen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2012, 08:18 AM   |  #29  
Flag DUUUUVAAAALLL
Thanks Meter: 23

91 posts
More
I just contacted the seller of seemingly quality snap-on, hard wood covers for D710s on ebay. They have only been selling the same dark oak color for a few weeks (not my fav), but I know I once saw they had a lighter oak or some other wood case a while back. Anyways, I will keep everyone here posted once the seller responds.

Update: N/m...reading fine print...hard "rubberized" case :/ "Epic" fail?
Zurginator: for about $10 it would be a nice template for your project plus it also has a front face snap-on piece
Last edited by modifidious; 27th April 2012 at 08:21 AM.
2nd May 2012, 12:59 AM   |  #30  
Thanks Meter: 38

396 posts
All I can offer comment on is the skin.

I hate cases, I don't drop my phone (butterfingers), but I want to protect it from scratches, because all the in and out of the pocket, handling, placing on surfaces leads to those really unclassy looking micro surface scratches that just make the phone look beat up, and that's if you don't end up with a few nicks, dings, or deeper scratches.
So I think the skins are pretty good, they do offer protection except for drop protection.

I ordered two Skinomi skins - the black carbon fiber look, and the dark wood look.
I installed the carbon fiber skin about when the phone came out - maybe a week later - and it's still looking good. Both came with a screen protector, it's pretty decent also.

The wood grain one looks nice, although I haven't installed it, it's exactly the same as the carbon fiber one except for the wood look. The carbon one looks really classy - black on a black phone, and tight, it doesn't look like a case.

Also, on the plus side - if you DO like cases, but not maybe all the time, this fits nicely inside a TPU case with the skin on. So you could go the best of both worlds.

And I have to say, my matte black TPU case (which I rarely have on, but still) looks really above average, it fits the phone so tightly it itself doesn't really look like a case, which is a plus in my book - and definitely a plus if you are looking for classy, as opposed to playskool colors with skulls, flames, or contrived lines and swooshes that say "I'm in a case! I'm in a case!"
Just not my style.

I highly recommend the Skinomi skin if you wanted to give that a chance though, really amazed how well it's stayed on my phone. Still looks perfect.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread