Post Reply

[Q] Best ICS Rom?

OP chris_sd

21st April 2012, 01:21 AM   |  #21  
Mazout360's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 1,923
 
478 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by partylikeaninjastar

It doesn't hurt to give a small review of the rom, though, if someone just wants your opinion. Eventually, he'll probably get around to trying them , but maybe he just wants a place to start for now. At the very least, be a bit less eilitist when you're saying for him to try the roms for himself.

Indeed. With all these excellent ROMS out there, it might be confusing at first to know where to start.
Personnally, I think Owain's ROM is the most stable out there, but still i'm using the Genesis as it is very customizable and promising and there's also the HFS which is very good looking. With Harsh 1904 kernel, they are all very functionnal and performs better than my stock G2X. It all depends on what you prefer, try them all and see by yourself
21st April 2012, 06:55 PM   |  #22  
partylikeaninjastar's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 185
 
794 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazout360

Indeed. With all these excellent ROMS out there, it might be confusing at first to know where to start.
Personnally, I think Owain's ROM is the most stable out there, but still i'm using the Genesis as it is very customizable and promising and there's also the HFS which is very good looking. With Harsh 1904 kernel, they are all very functionnal and performs better than my stock G2X. It all depends on what you prefer, try them all and see by yourself

I've also noticed that they ALL perform better than stock G2x. I actually hated this phone until I flashed an ICS rom. Even after I rooted it, I just kept it stock for about a month and used Titanium Backup to freeze apps which helped the phone perform better, but it was still crap. After the first ICS rom I tried (HFS 1.4), I noticed way better performance minus the common ICS issues we all get.

Owain's definitely next on my to do list (and the last I need to try). I'm currently on Genesis beta 4 and I'm liking it so far. I haven't noticed as many data issues as I did when I used AOKP, but I'm also using Harsh kernel this time so that might make a difference. I am missing some of the tweaks from AOKP, though.

I think I'll run Genesis at least for a week, though. I've gotten into the habit of switching roms pretty frequently.


Here's a question, though: does the home screen lag every so often for you guys, too? It doesn't matter which rom I use or which launcher (Apex is awesome, BTW), but every once in a while the home screen lags and just stays blank for a few seconds.
21st April 2012, 09:17 PM   |  #23  
daxecutioner24's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 110
 
877 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
Unfortunately if there"s one thing about this phone that could have been better is the ram size. 512 is too little for a dual core phone,furthermore on these experimental ICS.

The more Apps,Widgets you run that"s stuff that keeps running in background, furthermore there are some running all the time.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA
22nd April 2012, 02:41 AM   |  #24  
Mazout360's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 1,923
 
478 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by partylikeaninjastar

Here's a question, though: does the home screen lag every so often for you guys, too? It doesn't matter which rom I use or which launcher (Apex is awesome, BTW), but every once in a while the home screen lags and just stays blank for a few seconds.

Yes I also noticed that issue with Genesis used with Harsh 1904 kernel. As far as I know there's no option to keep the launcher in RAM (preventing force closes when free memory goes down) in this rom whereas activating that option in Owain's build fixed the issue. Maybe by fixing the OOM grouping of the launcher using V6 Supercharger would help ?
22nd April 2012, 01:28 PM   |  #25  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by frekio

I definitely sympathize with the question even if I also agree that which rom is the best is very subjective. I started trying out all the ICS roms a few weeks ago and thought I'd have a clear favorite in the end but I was wrong.

Stability wise all the ICS roms are very similar. They all have an unfortunate issue of having trouble switching over to data from wifi, for which airplane toggle off and on usually fixes it for me - this sounds like a base ICS 4.0.4 issue. For me they also periodically slow down and even crash and the overall performance is quite a bit worse than GB, but the features make it so that I can't go back to GB and it is stable and fast enough. I also noticed some random incompatibilities with apps, like I can't press the install button in the Amazon App Store (anyone know if there is a fix for that?)

Like the above commenter, Eaglesblood AOSP seemed the most stable to me and I will be checking it out again when they have a new release. That said I am currently using Genesis (+ Harsh Kernel), which is based on AOKP, and it is very nice. For me, personally, right now, it's between Eaglesblood AOSP (when the new ver hits) and Genesis though all of the roms have their bonuses and I change my mind pretty often. HFS has great visual flair and was pretty stable for me, owain does a bunch of tweaks / fixes to the base CM9, AOKP has a ton of configuration settings.

TL;DR: ICS is definitely still beta but you can't go wrong with any of the ICS roms.

What is AOSP and AOKP? I can't find the definition. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Is the Video Camera working on any ICS yet?
22nd April 2012, 02:36 PM   |  #26  
SefEXE's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Meter: 244
 
1,154 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarert

What is AOSP and AOKP? I can't find the definition. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Is the Video Camera working on any ICS yet?

Odd that you couldn't find the definitions, but:

AOSP - Android Open Source Project

AOKP - Android Open Kang Project

With the acronyms unraveled, I hope that you can find a better definition for them, than if I try.

Video Camera? No.

When it does work, I'm sure you'll see lots of celebrating.
22nd April 2012, 05:14 PM   |  #27  
partylikeaninjastar's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 185
 
794 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SefEXE

Odd that you couldn't find the definitions, but:

AOSP - Android Open Source Project

AOKP - Android Open Kang Project

With the acronyms unraveled, I hope that you can find a better definition for them, than if I try.

Video Camera? No.

When it does work, I'm sure you'll see lots of celebrating.

Video works with Videocam Illusion.
22nd April 2012, 09:55 PM   |  #28  
daxecutioner24's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 110
 
877 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazout360

Yes I also noticed that issue with Genesis used with Harsh 1904 kernel. As far as I know there's no option to keep the launcher in RAM (preventing force closes when free memory goes down) in this rom whereas activating that option in Owain's build fixed the issue. Maybe by fixing the OOM grouping of the launcher using V6 Supercharger would help ?

Dude I don't know about you guys, but i just got the supercharger last night and everything is faster.
I think it's really useful for ICS, Usually phone with Ics or even experimental ones have more ram than this phone.So a better ram managing is effective rather than the regular Android way

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA
22nd April 2012, 10:04 PM   |  #29  
Senior Member
Flag Johns Creek
Thanks Meter: 296
 
1,750 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxecutioner24

Dude I don't know about you guys, but i just got the supercharger last night and everything is faster.
I think it's really useful for ICS, Usually phone with Ics or even experimental ones have more ram than this phone.So a better ram managing is effective rather than the regular Android way

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

No, incorrect. The Nexus S was one of the first to have ICS and it only has 512mb and it runs it fine.

Plus the only thing he is changing are the minfree's which you can do yourself.

Sent from Narnia
23rd April 2012, 02:22 AM   |  #30  
SefEXE's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Meter: 244
 
1,154 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by partylikeaninjastar

Video works with Videocam Illusion.

I'm aware.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ics, rom
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes