5,604,050 Members 46,035 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SD Root] Make 16 or 8GB Nook Tablet Root SD Cards by Albert Wertz [SDNT16or8gbV4.7]

Tip us?

hoodred
Old
(Last edited by hoodred; 22nd April 2012 at 09:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertwertz View Post
please provide a step by step of your process...

Take sd card, put in nook, unmount and erase
plug in usb to mount to pc
unpack file to desktop
run exe
chose sd image
chose external sd on nook (not mynook drive)
write
unplug usb and turn off
pop sd out and in, plug in usb, leave alone.
let us know what happens.

The files work, they have been tested. Most of the time, if they dont work, its user error.
I re-downloaded the img files 3 times to make sure its not corrupt files.
I tried two method to write into the sd card(through Nook tablet or sd card reader) and tested 4 different cards (Sandisk, transcend, adata and microcenter 2GB).

The 1st one I followed your instruction
1. I turn off the nook and put the sd card
2. turn on nook and connect the USb cable
3. select the sd card and erase the content
4. open the win32diskimager, select the img file and write to ex-sd (not mynook)
5. once its done unplug the usb (ignoring when asked to format) and turn off the nook

the 2nd method I use sd card reader directly
1. put the sd card into the sd card reader
2. format the card with SDformater
3. open windisk32imager select the img file and writte
4. once its done put the card into nook

After all the above I tried
- plugging the USB cable to the nook (either to power supply or computer)
- Press Power + N at the same time ( I press it for over 3 minutes)
- Press Power button by itself

They all just blank screen
no N symbol pop up like your video
And if I press Power and N for long time it comes up with "do you want to factory reset your nook" message

I checked all cards
they all contains 5 files and 2 folders
boot.img
flashing_boot.img
MLO
u-boot.bin
Root_8gb_or_16gb_NTV4_6.zip

Folders
Apps
TitaniumBackup

Any advise ??
BTW this is Nook tablet 8GB with 1.4.2 firmware
just bought it 2 days ago.

Thanks

albertwertz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 298

DONATE TO ME
give me a call, my cellphone number is being sent to your inbox on xda
Check out my Youtube Channel. I demo how to Root/ Unroot and demo several games and essential apps for many devices!
Donate to support my productions..
List of Devices: Samsung Galaxy SIII, Nexus 7, Nook Tablet, Asus Transformer, Notion Ink Adam. If you have a demo request, let me know.

Check out my Channel by clicking here.

albertwertz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 298

DONATE TO ME
after speaking with you i have determined that there is a problem with the file you are downloading and the location you are downloading from. I suggest you delete all copies of the files you have previously downloaded, redownload again and try again. I think you are mixing up old files with new ones. I have been monitoring the file download and still show people downloading my old files even though I have removed the links this could also be a problem with your browsers storing an old cached version of the page and you downloading old links. I have set the old files to private to get you to stop downloading it and you should try again, clear your browser cache, reload the front page. try again. The files on my end are correct and work properly. please let me know if you are still having issues after deleting all copies of the files you currently have and redownload so you dont get mixed up.
Check out my Youtube Channel. I demo how to Root/ Unroot and demo several games and essential apps for many devices!
List of Devices: Samsung Galaxy SIII, Nexus 7, Nook Tablet, Asus Transformer, Notion Ink Adam. If you have a demo request, let me know.

hoodred
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertwertz View Post
after speaking with you i have determined that there is a problem with the file you are downloading and the location you are downloading from. I suggest you delete all copies of the files you have previously downloaded, redownload again and try again. I think you are mixing up old files with new ones. I have been monitoring the file download and still show people downloading my old files even though I have removed the links this could also be a problem with your browsers storing an old cached version of the page and you downloading old links. I have set the old files to private to get you to stop downloading it and you should try again, clear your browser cache, reload the front page. try again. The files on my end are correct and work properly. please let me know if you are still having issues after deleting all copies of the files you currently have and redownload so you dont get mixed up.
Hey Albert
I just exchange my nook tablet 8GB at the store
and its working now, I can use the card fine.
Looks like the earlier nook tablet is the culprit.

Thanks for your help and the files

everest.deth
Old
Thanks Meter 163
Quick Question, If my Nook is not getting past the "Nook by Barnes & Noble" screen, how do I go around writing the image to the SD card so I can then boot to recovery?

I had already rooted earlier, and had installed the Recovery to the EMMC (Using this, and then normally used Recovery Flasher to enter recovery). But now, since I cannot get to the OS itself, I cannot use the app to boot into recovery, and I cannot use the regular Power + "n" key to force recovery.

Any suggestion?
Rule # 1 of crackflashers: Do not talk about the changelog

Devices:
HTC Glacier, CM7 and Faux's Kernel - Sold
LG - P999, CM7, Oclocked - Rooted - Sold
Samsung Captivate - Ice Cream Sandwich love
Motorola Atrix - CM7 Weekly #4m _Faux OC - Sold
B&N Acclaim - Alpha 0 CM9

If i Helped you, hit thanks

Follow me on Twitter Twitter or Google Plus

albertwertz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 298

DONATE TO ME
You can make the card using another sd card reader... or you might be able to get someone reputable to make it for you... I just dont know who ><;

The Following User Says Thank You to albertwertz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

everest.deth
Old
Thanks Meter 163
God, I feel like such a noob right now y_y

So, I did what Albert suggested and got to write the .img to the SD card using an SD card reader. It was all looking good as I got it to boot to recovery, but then I needed to have the SD back to normal size so I could copy a ROM (i Had planned to use Albert's CWM ROM) and that is where the problem started.

I have not, for the life of me, been able to get the SD back to it's original size. I tried formatting through Windows, but none of the options got it back; I tried using my Captivate's recovery (and through Storage option on Settings, this did not even offer the option to format/erase...only to unmount), but I only ended up erasing my Internal SD on the Captivate ; and I cannot use the method described in the OP because my NOOK is still unable to boot.

Is there any other thing I can try?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium
Rule # 1 of crackflashers: Do not talk about the changelog

Devices:
HTC Glacier, CM7 and Faux's Kernel - Sold
LG - P999, CM7, Oclocked - Rooted - Sold
Samsung Captivate - Ice Cream Sandwich love
Motorola Atrix - CM7 Weekly #4m _Faux OC - Sold
B&N Acclaim - Alpha 0 CM9

If i Helped you, hit thanks

Follow me on Twitter Twitter or Google Plus

lavero.burgos
Old
Thanks Meter 1301

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by everest.deth View Post
God, I feel like such a noob right now y_y

So, I did what Albert suggested and got to write the .img to the SD card using an SD card reader. It was all looking good as I got it to boot to recovery, but then I needed to have the SD back to normal size so I could copy a ROM (i Had planned to use Albert's CWM ROM) and that is where the problem started.

I have not, for the life of me, been able to get the SD back to it's original size. I tried formatting through Windows, but none of the options got it back; I tried using my Captivate's recovery (and through Storage option on Settings, this did not even offer the option to format/erase...only to unmount), but I only ended up erasing my Internal SD on the Captivate ; and I cannot use the method described in the OP because my NOOK is still unable to boot.

Is there any other thing I can try?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium
Do not use native windows format tool, use SDFormatter you will also need a partitioning software like Mini partition tool home edition (more features) or EASUS partition manager home edition, both are free. Play with the resize feature and for the life of you make sure you are working on your sdcard not local drives (e.g: C:\)

~ Veronica
SG Captivate - PAC ROM 4.2.2 | SGS2X - CM10.1 4.2.2 | NOOK Tablet - CM10.1 4.2.2 |

If i helped you please hit
button -
Your files everywhere! Get dropbox 2GB+250mb free: http://db.tt/9DHo4Gi

VIDEO TUTORIALS
My XDA FTP Folder ~ GDrive Folder ~ My XDA Threads

albertwertz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 298

DONATE TO ME
i would use a second card? that is why I tell people to make an R3 card. a second card is essential in my opinion, especially since they are so cheap.

tomc585
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Reclaiming unused space on sd card

So after a few trial an errors (prob my fault) I have my NT16 running off the SD card. I have been trying to understand what all the different partitions are on the card. My goal is to recover the unused 27gigs of space. I read somewhere that the unused portion had to be in front of a particular partition to be able to add it somewhere useful.
Could someone explain what each section is.
Why are they created like this?
Which one do i want to increase in size?
I am using EASEUS and this is what i have.