5,600,612 Members 34,010 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DEV] Ubuntu 11.10 for A43/A101 [RELEASE 1]

Tip us?

wilbr
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Thanks for the answers! I eneded up getting an A43 off ebay for a good price. I tried to download your rootfs file, but got a 404 error from dropbox.

Also, on the openaos site I saw a post where you said that you had a good image of Debian for the A43 on the debian-archos site, but that site is down. Is there anyway that you can post the info or the links here?

Thanks again, and I really am looking forward to checking out your work!

CalcProgrammer1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 543
http://code.google.com/p/hp-touchpad...i/Installation

Look at the "Mirrors for last file" category, any of those should work (it's the TouchPad Ubuntu rootfs that I based this install off of). Also, it is possible to update that rootfs to 12.04 after getting it up (just updated it on my TouchPad, if you have networking up on A43 it should work as well, just run update manager, enable all the software sources, then sudo update-manager --devel-release).
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-900T 32GB
Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717 16GB
HP TouchPad 32GB
Archos 43 Internet Tablet - 16GB + 32GB mSD
Dell Axim X50v - 128MB + 16GB CF

k1nk33
Old
Thanks Meter 6
@Calc
Hey dude, any chance that you could enable the touch screen for the 101 ? I understand it isn't as simple as just a few clicks but I've just read a review for the new Ubuntu release and its very positive ( seemingly the built in keyboard is the **** too ) and I'd love to have this going on the tablet.
Thanks for all the work so far and here's hoping you can help us out

CalcProgrammer1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 543
The problem is that I have no clue how to enable the touchscreen for the 101 as I do not have a 101. I know it's USB and I think that is our bigger problem, that USB overall is not working properly. On my A43 it detects USB devices at boot and immediately shuts them off. If you could post a dmesg log of A101 booting with and without devices plugged into the USB host port it might help. To post a dmesg, just pull the "dmesg" file from /var/log/ after you have booted Ubuntu. Even if Ubuntu is unusable, you can mount the Ubuntu filesystem after rebooting and pull the log, then put it up on Pastebin. This might help me figure out the USB system on A101 and compare against my A43.

BTW the keyboard on 12.04 is awesome looking, works great on my TouchPad. Can't wait to get it up on A43 as well. The GNOME classic fallback is greatly improved as well.
HP TouchPad 32GB

grim-a101
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Just to be sure. Are we talking about the micro USB port, or the full size USB port?
In the first case (and I think this is what we are talking about), I can't provide anything as I don't have an adaptator cable

CalcProgrammer1
Old
(Last edited by CalcProgrammer1; 23rd April 2012 at 05:25 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by grim-a101 View Post
Just to be sure. Are we talking about the micro USB port, or the full size USB port?
In the first case (and I think this is what we are talking about), I can't provide anything as I don't have an adaptator cable
The full size USB port. The micro is common across all gen8's I think, and I have already confirmed it isn't working on A43. I would like a dmesg for the A101 without anything USB connected as well as one with something plugged into the full size (host) port so I can see if the interfaces are being detected.

I'm going to look into the power management device, Archos isn't implementing the battery monitor properly and thus it is always showing the battery very low. I think we can fix this by modifying how the battery information is presented to the OS. The battery monitor on my TouchPad does work properly, and I'm going to attempt to reformat the Archos battery output to match that of the TouchPad (also need to check my laptop to see if it matches).
HP TouchPad 32GB

grim-a101
Old
(Last edited by grim-a101; 23rd April 2012 at 06:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Thanks for the clarification.
So I've already got a dmesg without anything plugged into the USB port, and here it is:
http://pastebin.com/XSg3Cuiv

I'll pastebin tomorow another one with an USB Drive plugged-in

divx118
Old
Thanks Meter 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by grim-a101 View Post
Thanks for the clarification.
So I've already got a dmesg without anything plugged into the USB port, and here it is:
http://pastebin.com/XSg3Cuiv

I'll pastebin tomorow another one with an USB Drive plugged-in
CalcProgrammer1: In the dmesg line 187 is the touchscreen device for the 101.

grim-a101
Old
(Last edited by grim-a101; 24th April 2012 at 03:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Here it is, the dmesg with an USB drive plugged in:
http://pastebin.com/CTkV11mp

Hope it helps

I don't have seen many differences between those 2, I even wonder if it "see" the USB flash drive (I know for sure that my USB Host is OK, I can use a Keyboard/Mouse combo in Froyo)

EDIT : I've made another one, with another USB flash drive... I don't see any differences :/
http://pastebin.com/CVzwLAkY

EDIT Again: For what I've seen, it seems to me that there is no drivers for this particular device. Looking at drivers/hid/hid-ids.c, all we can find is:
Code:
#define USB_VENDOR_ID_UNITEC    0x227d
#define USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_USB_TOUCH_0709     0x0709
#define USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_USB_TOUCH_0A19     0x0a19
So, the 0x0a1a is, if I understand well, not known. May be a good start point (I'll look into the archos kernel to see if we can find a 0x0a1a in there)

EDIT (Last one I hope): In the archos-gpl-gen8, there is what we are missing:
Code:
#define USB_VENDOR_ID_UNITEC            0x227d
#define USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_PROTO_TS   0x0103

#define USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_10_TS_V0   0x0a19
#define USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_10_TS_V1   0x0a1a

#define USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_7_TS_V0    0x0709
#define USB_DEVICE_ID_UNITEC_7_TS_V1    0x070a
I think this is a good starting point to resolve this issue, whereas I'm not sure what to do with that :s
The Following User Says Thank You to grim-a101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CalcProgrammer1
Old
(Last edited by CalcProgrammer1; 24th April 2012 at 06:57 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 543
Awesome info! I'm still not sure how the USB system works entirely, will be something to look into definitely.

For comparison, here's the dmesg from my A43 with a USB hub + keyboard and mouse attached at boot. This is also running 12.04

http://pastebin.com/Qzpuh9nh

Edit: Again, but this time with just a USB optical mouse plugged in (one of the old Dell ones)

http://pastebin.com/9iEavK1C

Looks like it doesn't think it can supply enough power to the device and just shuts off. I know the hardware is capable, I've used the hub, mouse, and keyboard on the OpenAOS kernel just fine plenty of times. It looks like the A43 is only registering a 50mA bus power limit while most devices request 100mA even if they aren't actually using it. I think the hardware is capable of at least 100mA.

Edit Again!

Looks like something that is set in archos-usb-musb.c, the value is 50 in the file but the comment says 100. Possibly a scalar has changed in the rest of the kernel code? I'm changed it to 100 and will see what happens, hopefully mouse will work.
HP TouchPad 32GB