5,598,610 Members 43,218 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Vibrate rattle.

Tip us?

ragingclue
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Haha yeah way to focus on the silver lining! I only wish I was able to do the same.

I'm not sure the vibrate rattle will be "fixed" any time soon, it might be related to a hardware design issue or supplier issue, in which case we won't see something solid for a while, and you'll have to rely on getting "lucky" devices that magically don't have the rattle. I've gotten used to it at this point; the only thing I'm worried about is whether or not the rattle can cause further loosening or degradation of the parts involved in the rattle, or any parts that may be getting abused physically when the phone vibrates.

If I can be sure the rattle is purely a noise, and not hardware loosening or degrading, then I can live with it. However, I don't know what it would take for me to have confidence that it's true. I'm not sure a statement from M$ or Nokia would do it, as I've had the wool pulled over my eyes by manufacturers before (*cough* Crapple *cough* Samsuck *cough*).
AT&T blows.

SLVR-->OG iPhone-->iPhone 3g-->iPhone 3GS-->HTC Fuze-->N1-->BB 9000-->Craptivate-->SGSII I777-->Surround-->iP4S-->Lumia 900-->SGH-I747-->SGH-I317 / iP5-->Lumia 920

Some others I can't remember as well.

alodar1
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Haha yeah way to focus on the silver lining! I only wish I was able to do the same.

I'm not sure the vibrate rattle will be "fixed" any time soon, it might be related to a hardware design issue or supplier issue, in which case we won't see something solid for a while, and you'll have to rely on getting "lucky" devices that magically don't have the rattle. I've gotten used to it at this point; the only thing I'm worried about is whether or not the rattle can cause further loosening or degradation of the parts involved in the rattle, or any parts that may be getting abused physically when the phone vibrates.

If I can be sure the rattle is purely a noise, and not hardware loosening or degrading, then I can live with it. However, I don't know what it would take for me to have confidence that it's true. I'm not sure a statement from M$ or Nokia would do it, as I've had the wool pulled over my eyes by manufacturers before (*cough* Crapple *cough* Samsuck *cough*).
Yeah...we'll spend the rest of our phone buying days pulling wool I think. Its a choice I made to play...so can't complain too much.

I found I only hear the clang clang vibrate on restart of device. Regular vibrate is ok. Don't know why that would be. I also got rid of the Purple-ish screen with a hard reset. I only saw it when brightness was on automatic. Switching auto off made it go away....to me, that doesn't a problem fix. So, I hard reset once again...and it no longer showed up on Auto.

Another thing I ran into...I've had 4 WP devices in the last 3 months...a 710, Focus S, and 2 900's. I ran out of device space in marketplace...couldn't reinstall apps. I had already took a device off to get the first 900 on board. Wasnt elegible until May 7th. Called MS and they said 24-48 hrs. Bummer.
Got to work this morning and Marketplace was live again...Cool...I only had to live the night with no apps.
Regards

@Alodar1

Device Graveyard:
Nokia 925, Nokia Lumia 900, HTX 8x, Motorola Xoom, Focus S, Lumia 710, Dell Venue Pro, HD7, Droid Bionic, T-MobileG2x, HTC Sensation, HD2, Nexus One, Cliq, MyTouch 3g, TP2, AT&T Pure, Xperia 1, AT&T Fuze, Touch Dual, Hermes

Seed 2.0
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar1 View Post
Yeah...we'll spend the rest of our phone buying days pulling wool I think. Its a choice I made to play...so can't complain too much.

I found I only hear the clang clang vibrate on restart of device. Regular vibrate is ok. Don't know why that would be. I also got rid of the Purple-ish screen with a hard reset. I only saw it when brightness was on automatic. Switching auto off made it go away....to me, that doesn't a problem fix. So, I hard reset once again...and it no longer showed up on Auto.

Another thing I ran into...I've had 4 WP devices in the last 3 months...a 710, Focus S, and 2 900's. I ran out of device space in marketplace...couldn't reinstall apps. I had already took a device off to get the first 900 on board. Wasnt elegible until May 7th. Called MS and they said 24-48 hrs. Bummer.
Got to work this morning and Marketplace was live again...Cool...I only had to live the night with no apps.
Had same issue, I always named my phone the same thing so it always seemed to auto update after 24 hrs'ish. However when I couldn't figure out how to get my Live page, Windows Phone page and Zune pages in sync (all so the same active phones)I used the chat feature on Zune and they fixed them all up for me in minutes.

Nissan350
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
I tried 4 different 900's and they all have the rattle. First one I got off my girlfriends upgrade. Second one I got after exchanging that one for a "green dot" one (which didn't even have the software update pre-installed) third one I got after switching to At&t (Cyan version) and the fourth one was the sales reps.

They all had this rattle. Some worst than others. So I'm beginning to think all Lumia's in revision 1 have this issue. Or at least the vast majority of them.

Hopefully Nokia hears about the problem soon and offers us a new phone from revision 2.

I've complained to them on several of their twitter pages about the problem. Doubt they'll do anything but hey, it's worth a shot!

MPerz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Vibrate...

Mine does this as well. I like to think of it as the trunk rattle when the bass hits.

erzhik
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Anyone know if white model has it?

tai4de2
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Yup, the white one has it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

arcspeak
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default Rattle comes from hardware buttons and is harmless

I'm quite sure that the rattle on my Lumia 900 is coming from the metallic On-Off button and Camera button. There is a tiny bit of free play around these bits of metal, and merely tilting the phone back and forth can reproduce the rattle. Conversely, gently putting a finger on them eliminates the rattle when the phone vibrates.

I'm equally confident that this rattle is harmless. On other phones that can be easily disassembled, the analogous buttons are not part of the switch but are free floating parts that merely transmit the pressure from your finger to the actual microswitch inside.
_______
arcspeak
Nokia Lumia 900 OS 7.10.8112.7, Firmware 2175.1002.8112.12084
LG Quantum C900 - ATT; Interop unlocked, RootTools policy unlocked; OS 7.10.7720.68, Firmware 1.1.6.10

FiyaFleye
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Its not the buttons on mine. My buttons are stiff, they're also secured by my case, and for good measure I held them down. My rattle comes from somewhere at the top of the phone.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
AT&T Nokia Lumia 900
Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084

T-Mobile USA HD7
Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango)

Previous Devices: HD7, HD2, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Dash, and toss in a few Sidekicks for good luck

hwalker84
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by erzhik View Post
Anyone know if white model has it?
My white definitely doesn't. I traded in my Cyan which had it. The button rattle is also gone.