"There will be no specific updates coming for the HTC One X to improve battery"

OP Eddzz!!

22nd April 2012, 11:12 PM   |  #71  
Thanks Meter: 8

93 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb5374

Pretty much on the money.

The vast,vast majority of users who buy this will have ample power to last then a full day, which is all a smartphone should be doing tbh. How anyone wants a smartphone to last longer than a day is beyond me, simply wake up, use, go to bed, charge. Simples.

Heavy portable users should consider a power pack.

My main issue with this statement is i upgraded onto a 24 month contract , and i am getting around 11 hours use max with minor use / tinkering only, if i use little bits of youtube / internet i am getting at most 8 hours, my main complaint is not necessarily standby but longevity , how many users will be charging every day or more and will have crapped out batteries within 12 months , or at least even more reduced standby due to the technology starting to fail ?

Maybe not a big concern to the more well off "i must have the new phone every 6 months " type users, but what about us that need to / want to keep the handset longer ?

I can see a lot of htc repair issues / claims for knackered batteries that htc won't honour as a battery has a 6-12 month warranty as a consumable !

thats my issue

james

24 months is only 680 days. Li-pol/ion batteries these days are designed to last 1000 cycles with only about 15% loss in capacity.

That is calculated based on full charge-discharge. Partial charges will prolong the life.

Also, back on topic, I don't get why people are complaining about it needing a charge everyday? Just put it on charge before bed and job done.
22nd April 2012, 11:19 PM   |  #72  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,386

8,961 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsleng

I don't get why people are complaining about it needing a charge everyday? Just put it on charge before bed and job done.

For me, it's psychological. I had two back-up batteries for my SGS2 and I used one of them less than a dozen times over almost a year. But I knew it was there if I needed it. With the One X's battery sealed it's all or nothing. In reality I know it's not an issue (except maybe 12 times a year) but it still has me paying way too much attention to battery life. After nine days mine's definitely improving though.
22nd April 2012, 11:22 PM   |  #73  
Thanks Meter: 1

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsleng

24 months is only 680 days. Li-pol/ion batteries these days are designed to last 1000 cycles with only about 15% loss in capacity.

That is calculated based on full charge-discharge. Partial charges will prolong the life.

Also, back on topic, I don't get why people are complaining about it needing a charge everyday? Just put it on charge before bed and job done.

yeah i get your point, mine being 1000 charge cycles from NEW , eg no degradation through months of storage etc , and 1000 cycles from new , i have had the phone 10 days and must have honestly done about 25 partially empty to full charge cycles already .... so by that logic in 400 days out of 720 i will have done the 1000 cycles at least , and i have only just loaded videos on it now to watch on the train etc , so i am guessing around 2 charge cycles a day minimum if it draws as much juice as it does on video, with a 1 hour train either way watching an hour of video i will be down to around 30 % each trip .

All my point is reallly is that no one has looked from a longevity aspect yet , just how many charges they have to do each day etc.

james
22nd April 2012, 11:26 PM   |  #74  
Flag Spokane, Washington

8,961 posts
Quote:

i have had the phone 10 days and must have honestly done about 25 partially empty to full charge cycles already

If you were at 50% for all of those partial charges you've used up 12 1/2 cycles of 1,000.
22nd April 2012, 11:30 PM   |  #75  
Thanks Meter: 8

93 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

For me, it's psychological. I had two back-up batteries for my SGS2 and I used one of them less than a dozen times over almost a year. But I knew it was there if I needed it. With the One X's battery sealed it's all or nothing. In reality I know it's not an issue (except maybe 12 times a year) but it still has me paying way too much attention to battery life. After nine days mine's definitely improving though.

In that case, you just need a battery pack. Granted they are bigger than swappable batteries and are not a quick swap and forget but in your case, I think that will work well.

And Jimmy,

Partial charges are approx equivalent in % terms to full charges. So 2 charges from 50% > 100% is equal to 1 0% > 100% charge. If anything, it actually prolongs the life as they batteries are cycled less deeply. If HTC wanted, they could actually put in a big battery, say 2500mAh and only allow shallow cycling (maybe let us use 1500mAH only) and that battery will last ages.
This is what they do with batteries on hybrid cars and they achieve pretty good battery capacity even after 5 years.
Last edited by tsleng; 22nd April 2012 at 11:34 PM.
22nd April 2012, 11:32 PM   |  #76  
Thanks Meter: 286

474 posts
More
Quote:

yeah i get your point, mine being 1000 charge cycles from NEW , eg no degradation through months of storage etc , and 1000 cycles from new , i have had the phone 10 days and must have honestly done about 25 partially empty to full charge cycles already .... so by that logic in 400 days out of 720 i will have done the 1000 cycles at least , and i have only just loaded videos on it now to watch on the train etc , so i am guessing around 2 charge cycles a day minimum if it draws as much juice as it does on video, with a 1 hour train either way watching an hour of video i will be down to around 30 % each trip .

All my point is really is that no one has looked from a longevity aspect yet , just how many charges they have to do each day etc.

james

I'm amazed people have this much time to play with their phone. Do you have a 3 hour commute or something?
The Following User Says Thank You to farnsbarns For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2012, 11:41 PM   |  #77  
Flag Spokane, Washington

8,961 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnsbarns

I'm amazed people have this much time to play with their phone. Do you have a 3 hour commute or something?

"Play" is relative. Things like sending and receiving push e-mail, texting, reviewing and forwarding documents, managing an agenda, and voice calls all create a lot of screen on time. And screen on time is what kills the battery.
23rd April 2012, 12:31 PM   |  #78  
Thanks Meter: 29

566 posts
Quote:

"Play" is relative. Things like sending and receiving push e-mail, texting, reviewing and forwarding documents, managing an agenda, and voice calls all create a lot of screen on time. And screen on time is what kills the battery.

And screen on time can't be avoided. It is well known that the single biggest consumer of power in a phone or laptop is the backlight required to power the screen. This has always been the case. And the more pixels you have, the greater the number of lights thus the higher power consumption. It's an unavoidable fact of life.

Don't moan at HTC about it. They just use the tech that's out there. Blame the display manufacturers for not making their panels more power-efficient, the battery manufacturers for not coming up with new tech to increase capacity, or the chip manufacturers for not making the transistors smaller (although you have to admit Nvidia have done a reasonably good job in this department with the T3).

Then find your own solutions. ie. portable chargers - I'm sure they cost the same as (or even less than) a spare battery anyway.
23rd April 2012, 12:39 PM   |  #79  
Thanks Meter: 11

38 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdelrosario

then...time to wait for mugen

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Mugen? How would you exchange the ONE X Battery? I mean, without screwing the entire device...
23rd April 2012, 01:08 PM   |  #80  
Thanks Meter: 286

474 posts
More
Quote:

Can't argue with that but as you can see, I was responding to jimmyb5374 who has done 25 charges in 10 days and all he's done is load and watch video. There may be a good reason for that but it's got to be unusual, must be 3 or 4 films a day.

Bottom line is this. There has to be a compromise between processing power, screen size, features, cost to produce and battery life. For me, with my requirements, the One X is a pretty good compromise, for others, maybe not, but the laws of physics ain't changing, battery technology is what it is (for now), as is screen and processor technology. Economic factors are what they are too. Maybe it is possible to make a powerhouse phone that'll last a week with heavy usage but not many people could afford it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread