Backup+ Lets You Backup Your App Data on Android Lollipop

Even though Android 5.0 Lollipop hasn’t yet seen its official release, quite … more

TechTalk Compiles All the Android News You Need in One App

If you’re as obsessed with mobile devices as the vast majority of our forum … more

Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

[Q] is S-OFF worth it right now?

OP mukklemome

22nd April 2012, 10:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13

95 posts
The only benefit i can find from obtaining S-OFF right now is the custom flash screen... the kernal flashing in recovery doesnt really mean much... and im kinda scared to try the S-OFF method after seeing some comments about people struggling with it lol... what do you guys think?
22nd April 2012, 10:14 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 132

463 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukklemome

The only benefit i can find from obtaining S-OFF right now is the custom flash screen... the kernal flashing in recovery doesnt really mean much... and im kinda scared to try the S-OFF method after seeing some comments about people struggling with it lol... what do you guys think?

I mean its pretty fool proof. If you don't get it on the first try, you'll get it on the seventh try, 12th try etc.

Right now I have no use for it. No custom roms demand for it. But it's nice to finally have
22nd April 2012, 10:14 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 28

164 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukklemome

i am not quite sure what other benefits it has but its not a struggle at all if you follow the directions. instead of using a wire i used a small paper clip and i got it in the first shot
22nd April 2012, 10:19 PM   |  #4  
Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 5

20 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablecauz69

i am not quite sure what other benefits it has but its not a struggle at all if you follow the directions. instead of using a wire i used a small paper clip and i got it in the first shot

I'm not sure that it does a lot at the moment, but in the future I think it'll be worth it. Sensation users have gone through a number of firmware and radio flashes to get onto ICS. I don't think (feel free to correct) those would've been possible without s-off.
22nd April 2012, 10:20 PM   |  #5  
Flag Saint Louis, MO
Thanks Meter: 70

275 posts
More
Unless you're an avid splash screen flasher, then it's probably not worth it at the moment. The process isn't really that bad; it just requires a bit of finesse and timing. The controlbear script will keep asking you to do the wire trick until you touch the pin to ground the first time. If you don't touch the second time at the right moment, the process will fail, and you just have to reload controlbear and try the wire trick again. Don't let it intimidate you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaters

I'm not sure that it does a lot at the moment, but in the future I think it'll be worth it. Sensation users have gone through a number of firmware and radio flashes to get onto ICS. I don't think (feel free to correct) those would've been possible without s-off.

Right. The main benefit from the future is if HTC/T-Mo release a new radio for the Amaze, you won't have to lock your bootloader and go back to stock to upgrade it. You'll be able to install it directly with S-OFF.
23rd April 2012, 12:01 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 75

280 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablecauz69

BE CAREFUL WITH THAT PAPERCLIP!!!! the parts of your phone being touched with that paperclip are very sensitive, the reason they're being touched is to short out your phone for the exploit, so if you have any kind of static energy on you, it can literally fry your phone, thats why they tell you to use an insulated wire.

but other benefits to s-off include:
more options and higher probability of getting out of a brick
flash splash screens
flash radios and kernels in recovery (like the one for arhd)
superCID (to flash other carriers RUU's)
and a few other little things like having your hboot say juopunutbear :P (literally translates to drunken bear, thats why they give him beer, fyi)

hope i helped
glacierguy
23rd April 2012, 12:27 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
I've got a twist tie from a bag of bread and stripped the ends.

Sent from my HTC Amaze running Sense 3.5
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2012, 01:28 AM   |  #8  
Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 5

20 posts
More
I actually used an old rg-5 cable, cut it down to a few inches and spliced the cover off the last few millimeters of the ends.
23rd April 2012, 03:45 AM   |  #9  
Hell
Thanks Meter: 62

249 posts
More
its more bragging rights than anything i think, i used a paper clip after unsuccessful tries with bag ties, cat-5 wires, and regular insulated wire.

i think for most its just nice to have finally obtained s-off after lusting for it since october.
23rd April 2012, 03:53 AM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Chambersburg, Pa
Thanks Meter: 2,015

2,219 posts
Donate to Me
More
how can i make my hboot say "Ziggy's Hboot" ?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread