Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,300 Members 52,506 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] is S-OFF worth it right now?

Tip us?

mukklemome
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Question [Q] is S-OFF worth it right now?

The only benefit i can find from obtaining S-OFF right now is the custom flash screen... the kernal flashing in recovery doesnt really mean much... and im kinda scared to try the S-OFF method after seeing some comments about people struggling with it lol... what do you guys think?

rbaruch
Old
Thanks Meter 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukklemome View Post
The only benefit i can find from obtaining S-OFF right now is the custom flash screen... the kernal flashing in recovery doesnt really mean much... and im kinda scared to try the S-OFF method after seeing some comments about people struggling with it lol... what do you guys think?
I mean its pretty fool proof. If you don't get it on the first try, you'll get it on the seventh try, 12th try etc.

Right now I have no use for it. No custom roms demand for it. But it's nice to finally have

probablecauz69
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukklemome View Post
i am not quite sure what other benefits it has but its not a struggle at all if you follow the directions. instead of using a wire i used a small paper clip and i got it in the first shot

sdaters
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablecauz69 View Post
i am not quite sure what other benefits it has but its not a struggle at all if you follow the directions. instead of using a wire i used a small paper clip and i got it in the first shot
I'm not sure that it does a lot at the moment, but in the future I think it'll be worth it. Sensation users have gone through a number of firmware and radio flashes to get onto ICS. I don't think (feel free to correct) those would've been possible without s-off.

MildewMan
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Unless you're an avid splash screen flasher, then it's probably not worth it at the moment. The process isn't really that bad; it just requires a bit of finesse and timing. The controlbear script will keep asking you to do the wire trick until you touch the pin to ground the first time. If you don't touch the second time at the right moment, the process will fail, and you just have to reload controlbear and try the wire trick again. Don't let it intimidate you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaters View Post
I'm not sure that it does a lot at the moment, but in the future I think it'll be worth it. Sensation users have gone through a number of firmware and radio flashes to get onto ICS. I don't think (feel free to correct) those would've been possible without s-off.
Right. The main benefit from the future is if HTC/T-Mo release a new radio for the Amaze, you won't have to lock your bootloader and go back to stock to upgrade it. You'll be able to install it directly with S-OFF.
Devices:
32 GB Google Nexus 5 - Stock 4.4.2 - Rooted
16 GB Google Nexus 4 - sold
HTC Ruby (Amaze 4G) - sold
Motorola Xoom (Wifi) - 4.4.2 OmniRom - 32 GB Class 4 SanDisk card
HTC Glacier (MyTouch 4G) - sold
HTC T-Mobile G1 - GinSense v1.0

alx294
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablecauz69 View Post
BE CAREFUL WITH THAT PAPERCLIP!!!! the parts of your phone being touched with that paperclip are very sensitive, the reason they're being touched is to short out your phone for the exploit, so if you have any kind of static energy on you, it can literally fry your phone, thats why they tell you to use an insulated wire.

but other benefits to s-off include:
more options and higher probability of getting out of a brick
flash splash screens
flash radios and kernels in recovery (like the one for arhd)
superCID (to flash other carriers RUU's)
and a few other little things like having your hboot say juopunutbear :P (literally translates to drunken bear, thats why they give him beer, fyi)

hope i helped
Current devices:
HTC One black 64gb
LG Nexus 4 16gb
HTC One S
Nokia 5800 (JUDGE ME)

Old devices, and may they rest in piece:
Sony Ericsson K550i
Sony Ericsson W580i
Motorola Cliq
Motorola Milestone XT720
HTC Leo HD2
Huawei U9000-81 Ascend X
LG G2X
Samsung Galaxy S 4G
HTC Sensation
Nokia Lumia 710
HTC Amaze
glacierguy Old
Thanks Meter
I've got a twist tie from a bag of bread and stripped the ends.

Sent from my HTC Amaze running Sense 3.5
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sdaters
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I actually used an old rg-5 cable, cut it down to a few inches and spliced the cover off the last few millimeters of the ends.

F033x
Old
Thanks Meter 62
its more bragging rights than anything i think, i used a paper clip after unsuccessful tries with bag ties, cat-5 wires, and regular insulated wire.

i think for most its just nice to have finally obtained s-off after lusting for it since october.

ziggy46
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2014

DONATE TO ME
how can i make my hboot say "Ziggy's Hboot" ?