[Root][TWRP][FFF][CWM]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.6 (5/09/12) [First Gen Only]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Techlyfe

vertig;25182412I said:
chose option 2 to install root and it worked. Then I selected the option to install FireFireFire and my KF rebooted to the fire caution sign, which it is stuck at, and KFU script is <waiting for device>

I ran into this issue

So long as you haven't messed with your drivers up to that point, Do This exactly:
1. Unplug Kindle
2. Turn off kindle (Hold Power button for 20-25 seconds until it shuts off)
3. run KFU
4. Choose 1 (Bootmode Menu)
5. Choose 1 (Normal)
6. Once KFU displays < Waiting for device > Plug up kindle
Pray. That should turn on the kindle, set the kindle to normal and then reboot it normally.
Let us know how it goes.

When I checked Device Manager after sticking on FFF, I noticed my KF was showing as 'kindle' with an exclamation, so I was thinking because of the bootmode change, my drivers pooped out, which is very sad.
At any point did you do anything to the drivers, such as force installing them, after you got twrp installed?

Plug up the kindle, Right click the Kindle! in device manager and choose Uninstall. If you see an option to (delete the driver software for this device) check that and click ok. Reboot your pc. Run the driver installation bat. and then proceed to 1. unplug the kindle and continue from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: vertig

vertig

Aug 4, 2010
Here is what I have done so far. Hopefully this can help out someone else.

After using KFU to root, I chose the option to install FFF. My KF rebooted and stuck at yellow caution sign, and my drivers broke (according to Device Manager). After messing around a bit I did this:

1. Unplugged my KF and uninstalled drivers for 'kindle' in Device Manager.
2. Rebooted computer
3. Used KFU Install drivers bat to install drivers again, even though I had android sdk with Google usb drivers installed.
4. Rebooted computer
5. Turned on my KF and plugged into computer (still showed yellow triangle)
6. Computer autodetected and installed drivers, no error
7. Opened up run.bat from KFU
8. Even though menu showed I was OFFLINE, I chose option 1, bootmode
9. On the next menu I tried recovery which gave a <waiting for device>
10. I backed out of attempting to boot into recovery and chose a normal boot
11. After a minute or two my KF rebooted into normal mode

What I found interesting was: 1)I had Google's usb drivers installed, but was able to install KFU's drivers over that and it all worked 2)Even though KFU showed me as offline, i was still able to send commands to my KFU.

I don't have my KF running in perfect order yet, but I was able to stumble my way out of a stuck boot and get back to a usable KF. Maybe someone can learn from my mistakes. :)

Techlyfe

1)I had Google's usb drivers installed, but was able to install KFU's drivers over that and it all worked

One driver will install over another driver when ran the way that the KFU driver install bat is written.

2)Even though KFU showed me as offline, i was still able to send commands to my KFU.

I don't think KFU displays online when your kindle is in fastboot mode. KFU determines online and offline through ADB calls, which only works when the kindle is actually booted into a ROM.

Reactions: vertig

leoinj

Apr 16, 2009
So I tried installing TWRP 2.1.1 by copying the latest img file from team win's site, moving it to the recovery folder and renaming it to twrp.img. Installation seems to go fine and my kindle boots to the new recovery but on next restart it's back to v2.0.0

FormelLMS

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 28, 2009
I'm the next one who can't root the fire.
Drivers are correctly installed. It is recognized aas an ADB Device, not Kindle Fire, but KFU can't see the device an ADB is offline.

Too bad :(

redbean25

Jan 4, 2012
Seattle
So I tried installing TWRP 2.1.1 by copying the latest img file from team win's site, moving it to the recovery folder and renaming it to twrp.img. Installation seems to go fine and my kindle boots to the new recovery but on next restart it's back to v2.0.0

You cannot install it that way anymore. you have to load it in fastboot with the command

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

braiden79

Jul 2, 2009
Yellow Triangle

Hi, I'm stuck with yellow triangle. This is my second kindle that I root in my computer. The first root was perfect with no problem but the second is stuck.

The driver is fine
I can enter to TWRP and install any ROM and do whatever I want, but when reboot is still in the triangle.

Also I restore the backup but still in the triangle

My steps was
Install driver, run KFU and Install de ROOT
after that is stuck in yellow triangle

I perform the bootmode and normal boot like a 100 times

Please someone with a solution

Edit: I re-flash again and wipe cache and the kindle is working well again. YEAH !!!!

Last edited:

FormelLMS

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 28, 2009
Everything is working fine now!
Thank you for this great piece of software!!!

Last edited:
B

b.o.n.s

i tried to install a rom on my kindle. Everything went oke. But after booting it aint working anymore, but worst of all: I cant connect my Kindle anymore with ADB.

I installed the usb driver from KFU without succes... Under Device Manager the Kindle shows up as: "Amazon" with a yellow triangle, and i see a hard drive names "AM".'

Installed ADB and everything, but what i do.. i can't connect with ADB anymore, so i can't unbrick my device.

Is there someone who has an idea?

PS. I did not install TWRP Recovery. Only rooted, installed Clockwork recovery and installed the rom after wiping.

Last edited:

manya2000

Aug 28, 2008
Almost there

I ran the KFU 0.9.5 and it seems to work.

I get the Launcher EX but have very limited use. If I try Market, I get the error:
The application Market (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Not sure what I did wrong.

Techlyfe

I ran the KFU 0.9.5 and it seems to work.

I get the Launcher EX but have very limited use. If I try Market, I get the error:
The application Market (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Not sure what I did wrong.

Not sure what you did, or what you were trying to do. Can we get a little more info?

manya2000

Aug 28, 2008
I am trying to get vending.apk installed and working.

I always get failed to copy 'apps\system\vending.apk' to /system/app/vending.apk': Permission denied

codemansGT

Apr 30, 2011
flashing twrp over cwm?

i have tried searching for this and haven't found anything specific, maybe im not using the right key search terms idk. anyways i used kindle fire utility to install twrp over cwm and everything installed fine, i installed twrp 2.1.1. but now when i get to the firefirefire screen and push the power button to boot into twrp it brings me to cwm. so my questions is can i uninstall cwm or erase it somehow so twrp boots or is there another solution to the problem?

redbean25

Jan 4, 2012
Seattle
i have tried searching for this and haven't found anything specific, maybe im not using the right key search terms idk. anyways i used kindle fire utility to install twrp over cwm and everything installed fine, i installed twrp 2.1.1. but now when i get to the firefirefire screen and push the power button to boot into twrp it brings me to cwm. so my questions is can i uninstall cwm or erase it somehow so twrp boots or is there another solution to the problem?

once again... The new version of TWRP cannot be installed as it used to be (how KFU is doing it). It needs to be installed using fastboot commands:

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

when you are in fastboot.

The method used by KFU will only boot to the twrp.img which works for that one time, but as soon as you reboot the Kindle, it reverts to the installed version which is CWM in your case. You have to flash the recovery partition. KFU wasn't update for this yet I don't believe. In fact he had reverted the version of TWRP which he was downloading so it will work.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

I am trying to get vending.apk installed and working.

I always get failed to copy 'apps\system\vending.apk' to /system/app/vending.apk': Permission denied

Your system partition needs to be mounted as writeable. It is read-only by default.

You can do this in ES File Explorer.

Mount /system as writeable
move file into /system
restore read-only status of /system

Reactions: codemansGT

codemansGT

Apr 30, 2011
thanks redbean25 sorry to make you reiterate something that has been discussed before. i will use the adb commands to install it.

bipinsen

Sep 16, 2007
Kindle 6.3

Sorry guys. New to this Kindle rooting thing. I am running 6.3 and trying to use this utility. While it looks like things go through OK, none of the file managers I'm using are allowing r/w access to the system folders. Am I doing something wrong? All I need is r/w access. What is the simplest path to that?

Thanks very much!! :D

Edit: Thanks to this excellent post, I got it working!

Last edited:

manya2000

Aug 28, 2008
Mount /system as writeable
move file into /system
restore read-only status of /system

Did all that. I keep getting the same error. Maybe because I had a failed attempt at rooting sometime ago. Maybe I should start fresh, like reset to factory setting and do it all over.

Thanks for your help.

leviwhite9

Nov 11, 2011
Buckhannon
Error

I always get this error after startup, I have no clue what I'm doing wrong.
* Kindle Fire Utility 0.9.4 *
*Donate on XDA if you appreciate my hard work!*

'"findstr /b /c:":menu_" "C:\Users\Levi Winston\Desktop\9.4\run.bat""' is not re
cognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

ADB Status: Online
Boot Status: Unknown

Please make a selection or hit ENTER to exit:

Techlyfe

I always get this error after startup, I have no clue what I'm doing wrong.
* Kindle Fire Utility 0.9.4 *
*Donate on XDA if you appreciate my hard work!*

'"findstr /b /c:":menu_" "C:\Users\Levi Winston\Desktop\9.4\run.bat""' is not re
cognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

ADB Status: Online
Boot Status: Unknown

Please make a selection or hit ENTER to exit:

Try renaming the \kindle fire utility folder to \KFU and put the \KFU folder at the root of a drive so for instance it should be C:\KFU and give it a whirl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: DO NOT use this on 2nd Generation Devices or you risk bricking your Device.

These procedures are for FIRST GENERATION Devices ONLY. In otherwords, for the ORIGINAL KF. If you proceed to use this on your 2nd Generation Device, and you BRICK it, don't complain. You have been warned.

This thread is also no longer maintained. A new Thread has been opened.

The new Thread

MD Moderator XDA

Hi all, some of you may have seen my utility over in the de-bricking thread. My goal at this point is to try and make lives easier for everyone I can.

So what I have done is created a script that can be used to handle a lot of common things people may want, and I will continue to add things people request that I think would be easy, and beneficial. I just wanted to make this situation easier for the average person.

You will see how the tool detects you at the default screen, and can refresh it by hitting 0 at any menu to have it refresh ADB/Fastboot and see what mode the kindle is in.

Currently the tool does:

• Automatic elevation to root for tool operations.
    • Full root install.
    • Auto detect current bootmode.
    • Auto Detect ADB/Fastboot Online/Offline.
    • Auto download update.zip from Amazon.
    • Auto download and install TWRP Recovery.
    • Auto download and install CWM Recovery.
    • Auto download and install FFF Bootloader.
    • Manage current bootmodes.
    • Manage Read/Write.
    • Install GoogleApps/Market/GoLauncherEX.
    • Lock/Unlock the Wallpaper from being changed.

Currently the tool comes packaged with the drivers required to operate ADB and Fastboot.

Please note: If your device can't be seen in fastboot mode, please make sure to install the drivers packaged with this, as it will show up afterwards. You can use the install_drivers.bat with the device plugged in for this.

Usage should be straight forward for the tool. If you are having issues with something, this tool has a good chance of getting you back on track. This issue was found and fixed using this post: Click me Over at Rootzwiki.

I make no claim that this tool is perfect, but I certainly will do my best to support it as long as people like it.

Here are some screen-shots of it:

kf_util_1.png

kf_util_2.png

kf_util_3.png

kf_util_4.png

kf_util_5.png

Credits goto:

Initial work by ubeezee & yareally on there forum thread.
    Full revert based off method from Clavin, "tweaked" by Vashypooh.
    Full credit of TWRP goes to Team Win for releasing an awesome tool! Good job guys.
    I checked with Dees_Troy prior to integrating TWRP install into the tool, and he was alright with it. If this changes, it will be changed or completely removed per their request.
    rooobbbbb on XDA for the Wallpaper Lock trick.
    Jolleyboy/Bandage on XDA for Android Market guide/ Android Apps.
    Sync settings found by Abramel @ XDA.
    Zeb for testing 0.9.4!

Please leave a message if this tool does not help you, malfunctions, or just to say thank you, or request more features!

Don't forget to donate to teamwin for their awesome recovery system over at: Team Win Website

Downloads:

WARNING: The following files ONLY work for the Original KF. Running this on a 2nd Generation KF will brick the device.

Current Release

Version 0.9.6 = Click Here

Extras(Will auto download, only for manual install users)
    Apps.zip = Click Here (Place in a folder called apps)
    TWRP = Click Here (Place in a folder called recovery)

Old Releases

Version 0.9.5 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.4 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.3 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.2 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.1 = Click Here
    Version .9 = Click Here
    Version .8 = Click Here
    Version .7 = Click Here
    Version .6 = Click Here
    Version .5 = Click Here
    Version .4 = Click Here
    Version .3 = Click Here
    Version .2 = Click Here
    Version .1 = Click Here

Bug Fixes

Version 0.9.6 = Fixed the rooting issue of not installing superuser.apk. Oops!
    Version 0.9.6 = Updated the options of recoveries and the root processes.
    Version 0.9.6 = Corrected Gapps installer, now works!
    Version 0.9.6 = Corrected some installer issues with recoveries.
    Version 0.9.5 = Fixed the update not installing gapps correctly and crashing.
    Version 0.9.4 = Removed framework option as it confused people and really isn't used.
    Version 0.9.4 = Updated for amazon 6.3 update.
    Version 0.9.3 = Added option to load Burritoroots FireFireFire installer.
    Version 0.9.3 = Fixed to support latest BurritoRoot, sorry it took so long!
    Version 0.9.2 = Changed back to using the official TWRP download URL. They are allowing wget now.
    Version 0.9.2 = Rewrote TWRP installer to use a new method requiring zero user interaction. It should just work.
    Version 0.9.2 = New driver installer using the WDK install system. Should work perfect, every time.
    Version 0.9.1 = Fix TWRP download that Techerratta blocked. Hosting it myself for the moment.
    Version .9 = Minor fix in install drivers batch.
    Version .8 = Tried to make the TWRP installer a bit more verbose in telling people what to do.
    Version .8 = Fixed some issues with order of checking for root.
    Version .8 = Rewrote the driver installer to try to be a bit better and catch fastboot issues.
    Version .7 = Rewrote a lot of things to make them more user friendly and help the user know what is going on.
    Version .7 = Switched away from Zergrush to BurritoRoot
    Version .6 = Now pauses for users to finish the TWRP install before trying to bring it back to normal bootmode.
    Version .5 = Fixed my screwup of TWRP installer. My debug code was posted instead of real code ;( Sorry!
    Version .4 = Cleaned up a bit of code relating to zergRush, it now waits for ADB to come back online before continuing.
    Version .4 = Checks for files already downloaded so we don't waste bandwidth.
    Version .4 = Fixed the Fastboot loader command for TWRP, TWRP install should work better.
    Version .3 = Cleaned up a few areas, fixed a few issues that could revolve around ADB being out of date.
    Version .2 = Fixed issue with TWRP installer leaving the user in Fastboot instead of returning to Normal (4000).
    Version .1 = Initial Release.

New Features

Version 0.9.4 = Added a FireFireFire installer / updater per request!
    Version 0.9.4 = Added a CWM Installer per request!
    Version 0.9.2 = Setup an update system that allows me to change what users download the file from and what MD5 is legitimate so I can update packages.
    Version 0.9.2 = Added MD5 checking of all files downloaded for legitimacy.
    Version .9 = Added failsafe system to /system/
    Version .7 = Automatic BurritoRoot courtesy of Jcase of TeamAndIRC. Thanks man!
    Version .3 = New Driver installer. Just run install_drivers.bat before running the tool and all driver issues should be resolved. Could use some feedback on this.
    Version .3 = Added an extras menu with a few features to help people out!

Known Tricks

• If you end up stuck at the yellow triangle, in KF Utility select Boot Normal, wait for it to say <waiting for device> and then press and hold the power button 20 seconds until the fire turns off, then when its off turn it back on. This sometimes happens, I have yet to find a clean solution :(
    • If you end up stuck with a yellow triangle, do not EVER unplug it. Leave it plugged in. Check the windows drivers to make sure it isnt showing as "kindle" again. Fastboot is different and can cause this.

Need Live Help?

Kindle Fire IRC

Please visit there, and I may be able to help in person, if you are willing, I will even TeamViewer in to help! Rest assured, the chances of you actually bricking your kindle are very low, I or someone else can and would love to help. It helps us think of was to better handle things.
    I tries that in my device manager it says unknow device with yellow mark when i go to update driver it says the latest is already installed

Alright. Let me guide you through this...
    -Download the attachment I provide below and place it in somewhere you KNOW where you can find it easily. (I placed it in C:\android-sdk-windows\extras\google\usb_driver(I would recommend doing the same))
    -Go to device manager
    -right click on the exclamation mark kindle.
    -Choose update driver software
    -choose browse my computer for driver software
    -choose let me pick from a list of devices on my computer
    -Then select have disk
    -Then select browse
    -direct to where you downloaded the usb driver i attached
    -Select okay and okay

Download here
    you sir are incredible good job :)

I love the dev work that the kindle is getting. This thing will be 100% unlocked in no time with lots of great custom roms and kernels :D Makes me really happy as this is my first android device.
    New version of KFU

I PM'd VashyPooh and he is no longer supporting KFU because he doesn't own a Kindle Fire anymore. So now I will be maintaining this project for now. I am going to make a new thread and release Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.7+. Here is the new thread :) I don't know what should be done with this thread though once it becomes obsolete.

VashyPooh, thank you for what you've done here you've helped me and thousands of people root, install custom firmware, and de-brick our devices. We really appreciate what you've done for us and all the hard work you've put in to this. :good:

Also, thank you for letting me update this because now your utility will be able to help even more people. :)
    Kindle Fire Utility .7 released.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Notes:

• Exclusive support from jcase for this tool providing a custom BurritoRoot. Please Uninstall any old version you have on the fire.
    • Full support for rooting the Kindle permanently.
    • Easy TWRP installer from my TWRP tool is moved into here.

As usual, post any bugs or issues, or find me on IRC.