Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,032 Members 51,167 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to root stock 3.2

Tip us?

caanda45
Old
(Last edited by caanda45; 20th April 2012 at 09:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcoolbean View Post
This is weird, wonder if anyone else got the same problem?

After I entered the serial number and clicked next, the computer installed Picasso ADB (or something), and the tablet goes black. The utility never shows the green bar. I have to restart the tablet because the screen went black.

I'm out of idea. Tried a couple of times, restarting computer, etc. didn't work. Any guidance is appreciated.

I'm on XP. My brother is bringing his Win7 laptop tomorrow, will try on it. Hopefully it'll works.
You can try the windows 7, if that does not work try this one....http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1276227
I tried the timmy deans one and it would not work for me. I used the method #2 in the link. Just have the Iconia root 1.3 apk on the external sd card and I used the acer recovery app from the market......here...https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nstaller&hl=en Also have your rom you are flashing also on the sd card...

It is a unstable downgrade rom that lets you root, but only a few fc`s that were no issue. rooted fast and then flashed my rom. Pretty easy......
Always pay it Forward!!!
If I helped you just hit the thanks button!!!

pilotferdi
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Thank you, timmyDean!

I finally bit the bullet, and tried to root my Acer A500. I followed the instructions thoroughly, and the process went flawless. The rooting process was performed using a Windows 7 (64-bit) laptop. I was unsuccessful at using a virtual machine in Linux (see below, #4).

So, a big "Thank you!" to timmyDean for helping us all users of A500.

I noticed there were quite a few people reporting problems rooting their devices. I have a few observations that (hopefully) may help:

1. Before doing anything, back up all personal files: photos, music, downloads, books, your plans for world domination, etc. on an external device, or a cloud site (e.g. Dropbox).

2. Iconia A500 does not recognize external devices that have volume labels, even though those devices are formatted in 32-bit FAT. (There were quite some posts complaining about the failure to mount external USB devices out there.) Remove the volume label (leave it blank) from the external device.

3. To have all apps restored after rooting, back up and restore settings should be enabled (Settings -> Privacy -> "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore" are checked) before starting the rooting process.

4. The process did not complete when was run on a Windows XP virtual machine (VM) in Linux (64-bit Fedora 16). The tablet was recognized by the VM, and I got the device ID. However, the process got into a loop at step #11: it would not display the old- and new- versions, and could not advance; "Next" button was grayed out.

5. In order to use busybox install a terminal from marketplace. Busybox does not show in the device's apps list. (I would recommend better be well acquainted with Linux commands before making changes on your tablet.)

Good luck to all of you trying to root your Iconia A500. It's a rewarding process!

Ferdi.

cad_2011
Old
Thanks Meter 15
anyone has a mirror site? the download keeps interrupted
Current: LG G3 D855K 16G

Prev Phone:
HTC One M8, Xperia T2 Ultra (D5303), Note 2 N7105, Note N7000, SGS, HTC Desire, HD2, iPhone

dwnorman58
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Talking Thanks Timmy

I've been doing a great deal of research and your name comes up everywhere. I appreciate all your hard work. To date I have not gotten root as several attempts have failed. I think that it may have to do with my XP media which needs the 18 months MS format and reinstall. But, that'll have to wait. I have ways of making windows talk.

Thanks again,
DWNorman58

dwnorman58
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up I'm proberbly just not seeing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishohl View Post
Hello to all,

I have created a nice How To about timmyDean's first post in this thread and extend it with the files and instructions needed in order to be completely root, not only in adb shell.

I have tested the whole procedure three times in three A500 that we have, for our development needs, with success.

The how to also answers many questions asked here about the procedure. So go ahead and read it and tell me what you think or if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Christos Hohlidakis
Christos,
I go back to Timmy's post and find the link for root-3.2.1-V4.7z, but that is it. There are several alternate links for the same, but I don't find the other files or an attachment.

BTW,
How are links and attachments different? I've only seen links in this forum.

Thanks to all the hard workers (for free no less!! You guys are awesome and I hope one day soon to be able to help with answers so that developers can do what they do best.)

DWNorman58

dibb_nz
Old
Thanks Meter 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnorman58 View Post
Christos,
I go back to Timmy's post and find the link for root-3.2.1-V4.7z, but that is it. There are several alternate links for the same, but I don't find the other files or an attachment.

BTW,
How are links and attachments different? I've only seen links in this forum.

Thanks to all the hard workers (for free no less!! You guys are awesome and I hope one day soon to be able to help with answers so that developers can do what they do best.)

DWNorman58
Well pin a medal on DW,!! You've actually read the earlier posts from back in the day??.....lol....
Ok this was for versions 0 an v1 - since then TD has incorporated all the files and added a few more in the v4 release. Back in the early days we only got 3.2 with root via adb shell and the stock recovery! So christos's guide was for how to add su, b/box and cwm, but now its all done via the flash.

The extra tools are the backdoor, ota toggle and rootkeeper which you'll find in the zip.

I'm in the process of updating the guide for those wanting to revert to stock for the next ota that is looming on the horizon....I'm also trying to provide a mirror for the files - not that I know anything about such things, my knowledge of sharing files extends to the occasional attachment on an email, lol SO if anyone can help me out with some info please, please pm me,

thanks all Donna

Acer Iconia a500: Guides & How to's

Guide - Where's my CPUID at
How To - Root, unbrick ICS
How To - Flash unlocked bootloader w/apxFlash Tool
How To - Flash unlocked bootloader w/Manual nvFlash

Iconia A500: CM 10 Flex JB
GT I9300: Stock
HTC ONE M7: Stock s-off
The Following User Says Thank You to dibb_nz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sanien
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Exclamation Mirrors PLEASE

Hi

Can anyone provide mirrors? I lost all data on my external disk :( Tried to download this but it goes incredibly slow and then it drops the download and says it cannot be downloaded :(

Thanks
LG G2 International Version Stock Rooted

dwnorman58
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default not there yet using Timmy D's method

Fellow XDAers,

I have followed the instructions in the README.
It starts with "V3 Flashing ACER", even though I downloaded v4. I figure that's ok because TD put it in the file.

So, I get to:
14. Once the status bar shows Green (in the status bar) DO NOT interrupt it. If the
status bar DOES not start changing then after 10 minutes reboot your Windows
computer and Tablet and start the process over again.

And the status bar never gets any green. I left it over night last night; still nothing. This happened several times yesterday and again this morning.

I did a hard reset last week thinking that it would put it back to factory 3.1, but it came out 3.2. Will this have any impact on the outcome of TD's procedures?

Where should I go now?

dibb_nz
Old
Thanks Meter 436
Quote:
Fellow XDAers,

So, I get to:
14. Once the status bar shows Green (in the status bar) DO NOT interrupt it. If the

And the status bar never gets any green. I left it over night last night; still nothing. This happened several times yesterday and again this morning.
i'd say the apx drivers arent loading properly,
need more info:
1 what OS u running on yr pc
2 what rom r u on currently
3 did test.cmd give you your Device ID ?
if it did then as your very next step run the prgb20.exe - dont disconnect yr tab
and post back what happens..

you should see some kind of action with the green status bar, it does stop for a wee bit but will not take longer than 10 mins to finish.

Quote:
I did a hard reset last week thinking that it would put it back to factory 3.1, but it came out 3.2. Will this have any impact on the outcome of TD's procedures?
a hard reset will only "reset" your current rom, yeh i know that sucks but no, it will not have any affect on what you are trying here.

Acer Iconia a500: Guides & How to's

Guide - Where's my CPUID at
How To - Root, unbrick ICS
How To - Flash unlocked bootloader w/apxFlash Tool
How To - Flash unlocked bootloader w/Manual nvFlash

Iconia A500: CM 10 Flex JB
GT I9300: Stock
HTC ONE M7: Stock s-off

caanda45
Old
Thanks Meter 167
Quote:
Fellow XDAers,

I have followed the instructions in the README.
It starts with "V3 Flashing ACER", even though I downloaded v4. I figure that's ok because TD put it in the file.

So, I get to:

Where should I go now?
Read post #391, worked for me....
Always pay it Forward!!!
If I helped you just hit the thanks button!!!