Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,164 Members 50,068 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] (Q) Best rom for all day GPS use.

Tip us?

Prof Peach
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 847

DONATE TO ME
Question [Q] (Q) Best rom for all day GPS use.

I am doing a 90 mile off road bike ride for charity and want to use my DHD for the trip.

I plan on using Endomondo for GPS positioning and online tracking. At the same time I'll use the music player if thats possible.
I want the phone to be available for emergency contact in/outgoing calls.
I reckon as its off road, I'll be 10 hours in the saddle.

I am on the lookout for a rom thats really light on battery, has a good GPS function and should last the distance. I dont want to be at 5% battery and find I need the phone for emergency calls.

I could use a seperate GPS etc or carry a spare battery but I want to keep the kit to a minimum..... and swapping battery half way will cock up the GPS tracking.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F White): Rooted (knox OxO) - ROM: NeatROM V2.2
Nexus 7 (4 in the family) : All Rooted - ROM: CarbonRom (All F2FS)
ASUS Transformer TF300T : Rooted - ROM: ★●CROMBI-kk●★ - KERNEL: Grimlock V2
Hit thanks if this post helped you!

Darunion
Old
Thanks Meter 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Peach View Post
I am doing a 90 mile off road bike ride for charity and want to use my DHD for the trip.

I plan on using Endomondo for GPS positioning and online tracking. At the same time I'll use the music player if thats possible.

I am on the lookout for a rom thats really light on battery, has a good GPS function and should last the distance. I dont want to be at 5% battery and find I need the phone for emergency calls.

I could use a seperate GPS etc or carry a spare battery but I want to keep the kit to a minimum..... and swapping battery half way will cock up the GPS tracking.
none will last for 10hrs of gps and data usage
be best to just have a sep. gps unit and put the phone on airplane mode. or buy a solar charger lol
the rom itself isnt going to be the world of difference. but i would personally stick with non-sense gingerbread with no widgets and as little running on the phone as possible
Let me google that for you -The best way to help someone and also tell them they are lazy at the same time.

Trolls are like stray cats, if you stop feeding them, eventually they move on.

Answer a users question, he's smart for a day. Teach a user how to research his own questions, he's smart for a lifetime!
The Following User Says Thank You to Darunion For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shad0wboss
Old
Thanks Meter 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Peach View Post

The only rom which comes to my mind which would provide you the longest battery life is Oxylite, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1413129

Though it won't last you 10 hours of non stop usage because you'll have your screen turned on and your GPS running.
Did it help you? why not press "Thanks" button
The Following User Says Thank You to shad0wboss For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Prof Peach
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 847

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wboss View Post
The only rom which comes to my mind which would provide you the longest battery life is Oxylite, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1413129

Though it won't last you 10 hours of non stop usage because you'll have your screen turned on and your GPS running.
Screen will be off. Only using it for tracking, not navigation. I'll give it a try during my training and see how it fares.

sent from my CoreDroid powered DHD.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F White): Rooted (knox OxO) - ROM: NeatROM V2.2
Nexus 7 (4 in the family) : All Rooted - ROM: CarbonRom (All F2FS)
ASUS Transformer TF300T : Rooted - ROM: ★●CROMBI-kk●★ - KERNEL: Grimlock V2
Hit thanks if this post helped you!

michalpro
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Sorry to disappoint you but there is no ROM that would not be drained after 90 miles on the bike with the GPS on. GPS used for tracking still consumes a lot of energy and to be honest, even a standalone GPS device would be out of battery after 4-5 hours.
As the battery change during tracking would break the Edomondo tracking, I would suggest to get a portable charge bank, something like 2500 mAh, which you could connect to the USB port of your Desire.
Those are quite cheap, you can buy them for around £15 from online stores.