Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,327 Members 44,939 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Voice Dialer Replacement

Tip us?

brucegil
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default Voice Dialer Replacement

When I upgraded to ICS, I (and everyone else) lost the built-in voice dialer in Android 2.3.4. See the Vivid General forum for details on this. I tried Vlingo, and it worked okay most of the time, but it required a lot of steps. So, I tried Cyberon Voice Commander and was pleased with how well it worked and how closely it matched the original voice dialer when connected to my car's audio system via bluetooth. See my post for more details.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post24400306

There may be other apps that work, so I am not saying this is the only one.
The Following User Says Thank You to brucegil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

robertmoore208
Old
Thanks Meter 112
Wild child has voice dialer working on ICS

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

brucegil
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmoore208 View Post
Wild child has voice dialer working on ICS

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Yes, I saw posts on that. However, because of all the "crash and burn" posts from people trying to install custom ROMs, I think I'm going to wait a while. There is still too much transition right now between GB and ICS, and with S-Off possibly coming "soon."

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

megatronisabeast
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucegil View Post
Yes, I saw posts on that. However, because of all the "crash and burn" posts from people trying to install custom ROMs, I think I'm going to wait a while. There is still too much transition right now between GB and ICS, and with S-Off possibly coming "soon."

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
That is due to people not understanding the process of flashing a ROM, kernel, etc. There are video guides, written directions, and people who can help to flash correctly. It is real simple if you read and know what to do.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium
http://i45.tinypic.com/6rsx09.png

willgill
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by megatronisabeast View Post
That is due to people not understanding the process of flashing a ROM, kernel, etc. There are video guides, written directions, and people who can help to flash correctly. It is real simple if you read and know what to do.

Megatron, didn't you recently have issues? I could have sworn I saw a post of yours. I understand the apprehension of flashing a whole Rom.

Personally, I haven't found much of a use for root or cusMy ICS is dialed in except for voice dial. I just want an app.

HTC Vivid

robertmoore208
Old
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by willgill View Post
Megatron, didn't you recently have issues? I could have sworn I saw a post of yours. I understand the apprehension of flashing a whole Rom.

Personally, I haven't found much of a use for root or cusMy ICS is dialed in except for voice dial. I just want an app.

I use "IRIS" or "EVA" both are like siri, but Eva takes some getting used to...

megatronisabeast
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by willgill View Post

No issues here, although I have posted a lot to help others who are having trouble! I can understand how with limited knowledge it can be scary to root your phone, flash a rom, etc. but only if you didn't read up on what you are doing and rush through the steps. Before I got this phone I read about the steps and then when I got it felt comfortable and did everything. I know enough now that if something did happen I could get out of the problem without help.
http://i45.tinypic.com/6rsx09.png

robertmoore208
Old
Thanks Meter 112
To each his own IMO, if he wants to wait its the choice he's made ... But I do believe that myself , MEGATRON and most of WC'S illegitimate children could update h-boot or flash a new Rom blindfolded or heavily intoxicated lol, its gotten that easy

willgill
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I've flashed the phone two times, unlocked and rooted. It has become much easier. I frankly don't want to set the phone up again.

Also, with custom ROMs you usually trade one problem for another. They usually aren't perfect.

BTW, thanks megatronisabeast for all your help to others.

HTC Vivid

willgill
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I hate to grave dig old topics but this is really bugging me. Again, I have stock ICS so dialed in. I am trying to avoid flashing.

Skyvi has actually come a LONG way towards becoming a Siri-esque app. It just won't wake or activate from a BT headset.

What is everyone lease doing? Flashing custom ROM?
HTC Vivid