Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,988 Members 53,551 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Wallet work around for Tmobile Samsung Galaxy S2

Tip us?

manekineko
Old
Thanks Meter 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy2DaWurld View Post
It doesn't matter if you get it installed or not. Our NFC chip is IN THE BATTERY of the T-Mobile SGSII...whereas the NFC chip for the GNEX is in the motherboard itself ("secure element"). Google would need to entirely flip the switch on how the Google Wallet app is designed for it to work on our phones. Which I assume will come "soon." Let's just stay patient everyone.
I don't think this it true. The NFC antenna batteries for the GNex and our T989 are actually compatible. I have one running in my T989 right now, and NFC behaves exactly the same.

I don't think anyone has ever proven definitively whether or not we have a secure element in our phones. No hardcore development has ever occurred on our phones to get Google Wallet working, so everything is just speculation as far as I can tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to manekineko For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Brock_Michael
Old
(Last edited by Brock_Michael; 21st February 2012 at 01:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy2DaWurld View Post
It doesn't matter if you get it installed or not. Our NFC chip is IN THE BATTERY of the T-Mobile SGSII...whereas the NFC chip for the GNEX is in the motherboard itself ("secure element"). Google would need to entirely flip the switch on how the Google Wallet app is designed for it to work on our phones. Which I assume will come "soon." Let's just stay patient everyone.
What if you have multiple batterys for the same phone? Same NFC signal ?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
N5 [4.4.3][rastakat][KOT49H][trinity][dd]

[nexus7][2-gen][4.4.3][cnb-tweaks]

degeneration
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekineko View Post
I don't think this it true. The NFC antenna batteries for the GNex and our T989 are actually compatible. I have one running in my T989 right now, and NFC behaves exactly the same.

I don't think anyone has ever proven definitively whether or not we have a secure element in our phones. No hardcore development has ever occurred on our phones to get Google Wallet working, so everything is just speculation as far as I can tell.
I'm not positive on this, but I think the NFC "chip" he is referring to is in the phone, but the NFC antenna is on the battery... so that would be a moot point.

EDIT: Nevermind, I misread his post. I think he's wrong, I am pretty sure our chip is not in the battery, just the antenna... but I wouldn't know.

Just ignore everything about this post, nevermind.
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 T889 (stock rooted)
Asus TF300T (stock rooted)
Google Nexus 7 (Stock)
Samsung Galaxy S2 T989 (CM9.1; No sim)
Samsung Galaxy S T959 (CM10; No sim)
HTC Dream (CM6; No sim)
[Gave away]Asus Tranformer 16GB (CM10)

Joy2DaWurld
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekineko View Post

Sorry yeah, I meant to say antenna. It was a late night lol. Although my point being that the NFC chip itself is within the main logic board on both devices, but different processors and chipsets for both devices = incompatibility.

The antenna is one thing but different chipsets is what I meant to talk about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by degeneration View Post
I'm not positive on this, but I think the NFC "chip" he is referring to is in the phone, but the NFC antenna is on the battery... so that would be a moot point.

EDIT: Nevermind, I misread his post. I think he's wrong, I am pretty sure our chip is not in the battery, just the antenna... but I wouldn't know.

Just ignore everything about this post, nevermind.

jonathan3579
Old
Thanks Meter 239
There was an update to Google Wallet today. Look at the notes for the update. Would someone mind seeing if you guys have access now?

bluevmax92
Old
Thanks Meter 2
i will use it if it becomes available . however, theres another obstacle in the way; i use a visa card not a mastercard... ALAS, yet another roadblock on my journey towards NFC capabilities...
Hey dont FREAK OUT !!
IT'S JUST ME

T-mobile touch pro 2 unlocked and running energy rom and being used by an 11 year old girl

T-mobile HD2 recently unlocked and running energy rom 21682 24 Oct 10 CHT.

bluevmax92@gmail.com

iphone4 has u by the balls... read on http://theunlockr.com/2010/06/26/app...urity-feature/

republic84
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default no-go

Didn't work for me either, and I'm on ICS. I didn't expect it to work, Google isn't that stupid. I did install it from a posted apk file, just hangs forever at the initializing device stage. Tmo, vzw, and att wont be allowing it anytime soon since the 3 of them are jointly developing an nfc payment system of their own. Would have been cool though!

pokejake2002
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Lightbulb Google Wallet Workaround progress (Able to enter pin. Stuck on Initialization.)

I am running IML74K Ics Perfection (located here) on my rooted T-Mobile SGH-T989.

I was playing around with the build.prop and tried copying over a few pieces of the build.prop from my brother's Gnexus. After a decent amount of trial and error I was able to make some progress. Here is how I got farther than anyone else on this thread has so far managed.

1) Download Market Enabler from the Google Play store and, in the app, go over to "settings list" then long-press on where it says "[us] T-Mobile (T-mobile)" That should "fake" the android market (and any apps that really care about your carrier) that you are using T-Mobile.

2) Use Root Explorer or Aboslute System Root Tools (A personal favorite of mine) to replace the build.prop with this one build.prop

3) Install the google wallet apk from this post Lukegb's Google Wallet APK

4) Run

If you click on the W in the Upper-left corner it should take you to a screen where you can put in a pin, then one where you can add cards. Not sure if the add cards feature works yet (because I don't have any cards to add) and I don't think we can get the free $10 unless we can get past the "Initializing your device" screen that it seems to be hung up on (and eventually the app stops responding). But this seems to be progress and I'm hoping that with a bit more tweaking or even a more stable rom for the phone we will be able to get this working and get our $10.

ajster1989
Old
Thanks Meter 373

DONATE TO ME
Lightbulb Just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1612 View Post
I did the same and it also didn't work
SGH T-989
Just an Idea, might be a long shot...

Try going into your applications list and clearing the data for your market.
Do this while your sim is out and on flight w/ wifi so it can't find your carrier... then when you sign back in see if it let's you download it...

if it works, and that's a big "if" then hit the thanks button lol

scuzzbag87
Old
Thanks Meter 113
Idk if his has been mentioned but now that I'm running ics on my gs2 courtesy of the skyrocket leak Google wallet shows up in the play store, it didn't before. I installed it but it says unsupported. For a minute there I got excited

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using XDA