Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,099 Members 46,772 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

bottom buttons (light)

Tip us?

HawtDogFlvrWtr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default bottom buttons (light)

Has anyone else noticed that the bottom lights on the phone only stay on for 5 seconds and then turn off even when screen is active? Its annoying as hell.

lowlymarine
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Most (if not all) phones with capacitive backlit buttons do this, to conserve battery life and reduce the amount of needless ambient light when doing things like reading and watching videos. There are only three of them and they're in the same place on every Windows phone handset, so it shouldn't be that hard to get used to, especially compared to an Android device.
Primary: Samsung Galaxy S 5 (Android 4.4 "KitKat")
Tablet: ASUS Google Nexus 7 (Android ? "L")
Other: Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (Android 4.4 "Kitkat")

HawtDogFlvrWtr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Very true, but when a screen is turned sideways when watching said movie or reading, it takes a bit to discover what direction to turn the phone because you can't see the buttons. This is especially true when you have a case on the phone and the physical buttons aren't viewable. Just a comment and was curious if anyone knew how to keep them on while the screen was on. Obviously this is a windows thing but we curious. Like the phone otherwise.

jimski
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Well actually it's a Nokia thing. My Surround lights always stayed on. They thought it would be good for the battery. Took a few days but I am used to it now.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
AT&T Nokia Lumia 900 - Black - OS; 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084

AT&T HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502

feedmylittletroll
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimski View Post
Well actually it's a Nokia thing. My Surround lights always stayed on. They thought it would be good for the battery. Took a few days but I am used to it now.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
Correction, its actually a Lumia 900 thing. My lumia 800's lights always lit up when the screen was on (as long as it was in auto mode)

HawtDogFlvrWtr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Ok, so mixed reviews. Is it driving anyone else mad? It sounds like my previous comment about it being windows was incorrect. It appears to be a firmware issue.

LordGreylock
Old
(Last edited by LordGreylock; 23rd April 2012 at 01:16 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
I have noticed they don't stay on very long. It is sometimes annoying. If they could just have them lit up for a little while longer it would be very helpful.
I don't need them on constantly.

Also, I had a Lumia 800 for a while and those buttons would stay lit for a lot longer until Nokia pushed out an update and one of the things they changed was a shorter time for those buttons to stay lit and I couldn't figure out why because it was so much better before that.

22-40
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Drives me crazy too. Might as well not have the lights at all - forever missing the spot and hitting the screen multiple times to register. At least make the dead space around the back arrow register as "light up"!

HawtDogFlvrWtr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Ok, at least in not the only one. I am probably going to contact Nokia about it. But obviously that will do nothing. ohwell, I guess it's something I will have to deal with.

HawtDogFlvrWtr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
If anyone would like to vote for this change, you can go here.

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/fo...-on-while-scre