Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,799 Members 48,300 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What are the cool kids using these days?

Tip us?

flu13
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Default [Q] What are the cool kids using these days?

I've dusted off my NC after a few months packed away. I'm pondering loaded a new rom/kernel/whatever. Unfortunately, I haven't kept up with what's available and cool development advancements, etc. I'd appreciate some recommendations on the latest and greatest stuff. I'm currently running CM7 with Dalingrin's OC kernel that I got last June. I'd like to get something with bluetooth support (heck, for all I can remember, what I currently have supports bluetooth).

Anyway, thanks in advance for any recommendations.

zires
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I am dualbooting from EMMC. CM7 Mirage Kang and CM9 with Open GL. I do not update CM9 that often because it is in alternate and takes about an hour to update total. I do update when a new CM7 Mirage Kang comes out though.

Installing the dualboot setup is a breeze updating primary is a breeze too. It is just a pain for me to update alternate.
The Following User Says Thank You to zires For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

flu13
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Thanks. I'm curious, can you tell me what Mirage Kang is? And what does Open GL buy me? If I wasn't going to dual boot, would you recommend CM7 or CM9?

MISRy
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Definitely Kang, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1344873

CM9 isn't even officially in Beta testing yet.
Hisense Sero 7 Pro
XE-Sero7ROM US (w/ TabletUI) v. [P756.6.02.11.00]
The Following User Says Thank You to MISRy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zires
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu13 View Post
Thanks. I'm curious, can you tell me what Mirage Kang is? And what does Open GL buy me? If I wasn't going to dual boot, would you recommend CM7 or CM9?
Mirage Kang http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1344873 is just a modified build of CM7 that is updated when any useful release is released. So it's not a nightly thing. I love it!

As far as CM9 open gl, I think it has something to do with movies and such. It is not enabled by default on the CM9 nightly so I don't think it would hurt.

I would recommend CM7 Mirage Kang if you are not going to dualboot as CM9 is not really ready for prime time. I have it on mine because it is not hurting my current set up. I actually have alot more space on CM7 than I did when I wasn't dualbooting. I would recommend repartitioning so you have more space for apps and games on EMMC. I would use the 1.96gb scheme as found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1094371 .

Please also note that dual booting is not limited to CM7 and CM9 but it works for almost any combination. Stock, CM7, CM9, MIUI (did I spell that right) etc. So maybe run a rooted stock and CM7 on the same machine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zires For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

flu13
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Thanks a million, zires. I've now got myself a zippy new Mirage Kang Nook with the supercharger and everything.

flu13
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
I had to come back after using this for a while and comment that the battery life is amazing compared to what I used to get. Thanks again.

The Following User Says Thank You to flu13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]