23rd April 2012, 01:25 AM   |  #431  
Recognized Developer
Flag Tuscaloosa
Thanks Meter: 4,996

3,432 posts
Donate to Me
More
Agreed. I am following this closely.
Don't want to lose the ones that are really making a difference.

i717 running Seraphim Collective ICS with tapatalk2
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnsondr80 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2012, 01:59 AM   |  #432  
Flag Wichita, KS
Thanks Meter: 318

1,118 posts
More
Agree as well, your theory is the best one yet. The great Adam couldn't fix it. you may be our last hope

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to Wdustin1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2012, 02:12 AM   |  #433  
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 37

229 posts
Donate to Me
More
+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using xda premium
23rd April 2012, 02:26 AM   |  #434  
Moderator & RC/RT Committees - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron
Flag Immersed in Dark Matter
Thanks Meter: 9,099

6,764 posts
I'll see what I can come up with. What I really want is for some creativity in how we are to get at this. See my few posts back about the 2 directions we could go.

I am trying to get my hands on an Encrypted Vibrant to do some tests but when people get the error they tend to thrash their phones in a fit of rage or they try to "fix" it and make it worse. Since I don't own a Cappy I don't have any files or hardware but Android O/S is O/S so code is code. So if you or I can find a solution it should work for both.

ps - Thanks for the PM Jeff.

My feelings weren't hurt bc of an anonymous random post in an international multi-segregated developers forum about something that effects us all, but he kind of had a point too. Ill stick around but I need some more imagination on everyone's part and need someone else with ADB experience to test some ideas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2012, 02:35 AM   |  #435  
Thanks Meter: 303

550 posts
Donate to Me
More
Maybe cross posting this in the general Android Development forum would get more exposure.

(I have not encountered the issue myself yet on my Captivate. It's got CM9, but I'm not using MTP. I've been following this from pretty early on though.)
23rd April 2012, 03:05 AM   |  #436  
Flag Fairfield, CA
Thanks Meter: 15

75 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrube

I am trying to get my hands on an Encrypted Vibrant to do some tests but when people get the error they tend to thrash their phones in a fit of rage or they try to "fix" it and make it worse.

I didn't "thrash" my "encrypted" Captivate but I did attempt to remove the internal battery (small one on the board) and now it doesn't seem boot. It looks like I may have just broken a solder joint; I should have time Monday to re-solder it and try again. Imagine if the phone is fixed after simply removing the internal battery and putting it back; that is what I was hoping when I originally tried to remove it.

Also, thanks for sticking with us here.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactardjosh

(I have not encountered the issue myself yet on my Captivate. It's got CM9, but I'm not using MTP. I've been following this from pretty early on though.)

When you say you are not using MTP do you mean not connecting to a PC or you are forcing it to use USB Mass Storage mode instead of MTP?
Last edited by jeff.leonard; 23rd April 2012 at 03:13 AM.
23rd April 2012, 08:51 PM   |  #437  
Moderator & RC/RT Committees - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron
Flag Immersed in Dark Matter
Thanks Meter: 9,099

6,764 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lactardjosh

Maybe cross posting this in the general Android Development forum would get more exposure.

I have been searching other device forums most of the day and the General/Q&A XDA pages too. Not too much out there except how to encrypt your emails or sms. I'm going to go off the grid and look into some other sites and see if they have anything.

I'll get back in a few days to share what I have found (if anything).
23rd April 2012, 09:20 PM   |  #438  
Thanks Meter: 34

88 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz123

Vibrant users: MTP may be the culprit in your cases. I suggest you create a thread under your forum.

Captivate users: My Captivate, as well as others', threw the error at random. No PC, no MTP, no fanciness. In my case, I pulled my captivate out of my pocket and the error was there.

AFAIK, the internal SD (mmc0/movinand) won't be resuscitated by any Android/OS fixes, as it was confirmed "defective" by the SBL, a set of factory tools, built-in the phone, that is independent of the OS.

Good luck

Agree, it shouldn't have anything to do with MTP or mass storage. First of all, when my movinand failed it was totally at random, and secondly, USB mounting (whether MTP or mass storage) accesses mmc0 on the filesystem level. It doesn't even access at the block level (since /data is also on the same block device), much less the SD/MMC hardware interface level.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jcjcc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2012, 10:12 PM   |  #439  
Flag Fairfield, CA
Thanks Meter: 15

75 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjcc

Agree, it shouldn't have anything to do with MTP or mass storage. First of all, when my movinand failed it was totally at random, and secondly, USB mounting (whether MTP or mass storage) accesses mmc0 on the filesystem level. It doesn't even access at the block level (since /data is also on the same block device), much less the SD/MMC hardware interface level.

While it may not make sense; there is a pattern of failure following connecting with MTP on the next reboot. I can think of 5 users that have described this exact scenario plus myself; this is the best theory I've heard.

I believe it enough that I am back running ICS on another Captivate, just not using MTP; working great so far (that knocking sound you hear is me knocking on wood).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeff.leonard For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2012, 11:30 PM   |  #440  
Thanks Meter: 303

550 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.leonard

When you say you are not using MTP do you mean not connecting to a PC or you are forcing it to use USB Mass Storage mode instead of MTP?

It's using USB Mass Storage when I connect to my PC.

The Following User Says Thank You to lactardjosh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
captivate, encryption, galaxy s, ics
Previous Thread Next Thread