Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,223 Members 42,067 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can HDMI overheating cause permanent damage to the phone itself?(not the battery)

Tip us?

radu242
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Can HDMI overheating cause permanent damage to the phone itself?(not the battery)

I was dumb and I connected the microHDMI a couple months ago and obviously the phone overheated and couldn't hold a charge any more. After bringing the phone back to the store, they only gave me a new OEM battery. Now, 3 months later with the new OEM battery, I'm starting to wonder if there is permanent damage done to the phone itself, not the battery. I can barely scrape by with 1h30min of screen on time in one charge on a CM7.2 ROM with Faux kernel. Would updating to the new V21Y baseband or getting an anker 1550 mAh battery do anything? Or is there just permanent damage to the phone and and I am boned? Thanks

booma428
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Interesting...would like to know as well because phone over heats as well when connected to hdmi

charlieb620
Old
Thanks Meter 1,929
My phone gets a little heated when connected to the hdmi but I just underclock and everything goes smooth from there. Honestly I think it's a normal effect.

radu242
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Nonono. I was one of the unlucky ones who's phone completely bricked after connecting to HDMI. I had to get the battery replaced because it wouldn't last 30 minutes.

Core Memory
Old
Thanks Meter 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by radu242 View Post
I was dumb and I connected the microHDMI a couple months ago and obviously the phone overheated and couldn't hold a charge any more. After bringing the phone back to the store, they only gave me a new OEM battery. Now, 3 months later with the new OEM battery, I'm starting to wonder if there is permanent damage done to the phone itself, not the battery. I can barely scrape by with 1h30min of screen on time in one charge on a CM7.2 ROM with Faux kernel. Would updating to the new V21Y baseband or getting an anker 1550 mAh battery do anything? Or is there just permanent damage to the phone and and I am boned? Thanks
Apparently, updating to V21Y has resulted in improved battery life. It has with mine and others. Updating isn't for anyone who isn't potentially prepared for a frustrating struggle and, once updated, except for a modded V21Y Android 2.3.4 ROM, no other ROMs will allow the phone's in-call audio to work - it just makes pulsating noise during a call. If you do get the phone to update with V21Y, try it out for a while. If you don't like it, use the same method you used to update to V21Y to revert back to V21E and you'll be back to being able to use all the modded ROMs including the ICS ones. Before you update to V21Y, save a CWM backup of your existing ROM which you can use to revert back to the installation you now have when after you reinstall V21E. You can't use CWM to reinstall V21E, you must use the KDZ updater with the V21E kdz file then use CWM to restore your V21E modded ROM and Kernel. Good Luck!

radu242
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yes, I've updated to V21Y using your thread, thanks. I'm pretty familiar with the whole process cause I upgraded to the July 11 baseband using the same method. Any ideas when the first V21Y ROMs will start coming out?

Core Memory
Old
Thanks Meter 732
Quote:
Yes, I've updated to V21Y using your thread, thanks. I'm pretty familiar with the whole process cause I upgraded to the July 11 baseband using the same method. Any ideas when the first V21Y ROMs will start coming out?

Already out. kwes1020's thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1602798 http://www.mediafire.com/?djq7by5mj7el7f8

radu242
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Oh wow I didn't even bother checking the dev forum yet because I thought it was too early :P. Thanks.

Core Memory
Old
Thanks Meter 732
Quote:
Oh wow I didn't even bother checking the dev forum yet because I thought it was too early :P. Thanks.

AFIK, kwes1020 is the only developer working on the V21Y Android 2.3.4 ROM. Everyone else appears to have focused on ICS or the previous V21E ROM or some other one. I think kwes1020 has chosen one of the best, if not the best, modded ROMs, Weapon, to modify the V21Y ROM. We're very fortunate that he is doing this.

NekoNyapii
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
After hearing many stories about people getting their phone fried from using the HDMI features, I've decided to not even let the cord touch my phone. Right now, to me there's not really a need for it.
Current Device: iPhone 4S (White)
Current ROM: Not Applicable
Current Kernel: Not Applicable

Previous phones: iPhone 4 ---> Galaxy S 4g ---> HTC Sensation ---> LG G2x ---> iPhone 4S(current)

I want to kiss you.....