Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,414 Members 53,415 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why doesn't America get the "best" smartphones?

Tip us?

iSaint
Old
Thanks Meter 1304
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumsock View Post
I don't think we are missing anything ..as long we get Porsche GT3s BMW M3s and 5s...just to name a few...we don't need every **** sub brand of car "just to have it"..that's about as retarded as the subject of this thread.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
Yes we do. This is

⇝⇞Vacant⇞⇜
The Following User Says Thank You to iSaint For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Nabbu Old
Thanks Meter
HAHAHAHA

morphis568
Old
(Last edited by morphis568; 23rd April 2012 at 03:46 AM.) Reason: Forgot to insert link first time
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklabel84 View Post
There is a reason and it has to do with economics and market zones. Each country has a technology release date according to current standards of tech at the time and how much the manufacturer wants to pay the government to put its higher tech out in order to get first dibs on the crazed tech fans money. Its all part of interventionism capitalism. If that is even a term. Of course there are other variables but this is A main reason among many.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilotimz View Post
The other variables are the standards. Europe and most of asia doesn't use our types of networks and radio bands. The only company that uses anything remotely like the rest of the world is ATT and their bands (which is why most people can use unlocked phones on ATT just fine).

Here we have two different CDMA carriers (sprint + verizon) with different 4g standards (wimax vs lte and soon LTE vs LTE on different frequencies) and two different GSM carriers with different base bands (standard bands on ATT while Tmobile uses different ones).

The rest of the world is pretty standardized so that's why it's so fast and easy to release the int'l versions....

Also the carriers don't have enough power or will to tamper with the phones in order to "differentiate" like our carriers because they have to actually COMPETE with each other unlike america..............(look at foreign phone plan prices compared to ours and how fast "3g" is...)
Also True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febby View Post
The only reason the one X in America didn't get the quad core was because the current tegra 3 chipset doesn't support LTE. Don't hold my word to it though... :)
Probably the case, hence why exonos isn't used in lte devices.
Tegra 3+ will though.
Technically it will work with lte if they use a seperate lte modem on the main board like our phone has with wimax, but qualcomm (aka the guys behind the majority of wireless communication standards) is making it difficult to get those separate modems to work with non qualcomm chipsets.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403299,00.asp
Current - Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
Previous - Motorola Backflip - MB300 w/CM7 Thanks to j_r0dd

If I helped you somehow... maybe. A thanks would be nice.

cnstarz
Old
Thanks Meter 596
tell me why america deserves to have the best phones first if they're not even manufactured in the states...

krisI0N
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnstarz View Post
tell me why america deserves to have the best phones first if they're not even manufactured in the states...
because, we think we are the best.. lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

iSaint
Old
Thanks Meter 1304
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnstarz View Post
The USM has the highest defense budget of any other country in the world totaling an estimated amount of $623 billion-dollars (2008) leading the second ranked country (United Kingdom $70 Billion-Dollars 2008) by $553 billion-dollars.

^ We has best military ?

So .... yea. 'MERICA !

⇝⇞Vacant⇞⇜

phatmanxxl
Old
Thanks Meter 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxtad View Post
Because, they haven't milked us enough for the current technology. Why do you think we want to upgrade every 6 months... To get 200 mhz more, 10gb more, 2mp more... They make more money taking baby steps. And we love them for it

Sent from my SPH-D710
Sounds like Apple.
I am phatman and I am a flashaholic
LG G2 D800

fenixjn
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Politics...

abhaxus
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Krait is dramatically faster than tegra 3. The statement that you can't beat the multitasking power of a quad core is wrong, since krait does in fact beat tegra. It's like comparing a quad core athlon x4 to a dual core sandy bridge. The cores are more efficient, so they are faster.

Tl;dr: when you complain that we got an "inferior" one x you are just making yourself look bad. You couldn't be more wrong. We are really lucky to have gotten the faster, more energy efficient krait.

Any posts and opinions on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent my employer's positions, strategies or opinions.
Nabbu Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaxus View Post
Krait is dramatically faster than tegra 3. The statement that you can't beat the multitasking power of a quad core is wrong, since krait does in fact beat tegra. It's like comparing a quad core athlon x4 to a dual core sandy bridge. The cores are more efficient, so they are faster.

Tl;dr: when you complain that we got an "inferior" one x you are just making yourself look bad. You couldn't be more wrong. We are really lucky to have gotten the faster, more energy efficient krait.

Not going to lie...that was very informative!!
I'm no longer pissed then. I withdraw my hatred statement, keep moving along everyone I'm gone! =P
Seriously though thanks for the info I'm looking for a replacement carrier and phone so I think I might get the 1X because the specs are good.
I'm going to look up competition and reviews right now..