Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,353 Members 46,558 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

3rd party charger for NT running SD CM7

Tip us?

TheBigDogz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default 3rd party charger for NT running SD CM7

I recently purchased a charger capable of 5V/2A. I tried charging my NT with NT's stock USB cable. For whatever reason, it only charges in USB mode (500mA). Does NT need the middle two pins of the USB charger to be shorted in order to be charged in AC mode (2A charging)?

TheBigDogz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Ok, let me answer my own question. I found out that indeed the D+ and the D- pins need to be shorted and that I needed to remove four resistors. After that you will get full current mode charging by the NT.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBigDogz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Intruder7s
Old
Thanks Meter 51
I have some questions for you.
How did you know it was only 500mA ?
And when you "fixed" the charger how could you tell it was indeed giving 2A ?

One last question!
How did you know that you had to remove 4 resistors and which ones to remove?

Thanks

TheBigDogz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruder7s View Post
I have some questions for you.
How did you know it was only 500mA ?
And when you "fixed" the charger how could you tell it was indeed giving 2A ?

One last question!
How did you know that you had to remove 4 resistors and which ones to remove?

Thanks
#1 - Download Battery Widget by Elvison. When it is charging via USB, the widget will show "USB" USB charging is capped at 500mA based on standard. When it is charging via Nook's wall charger, it will show "AC", which means higher current charging.

#2 - Download Battery Monitor Widget by 3C. It monitors the Charging / Discharging current (mA). I use this in conjunction with the Battery Widget above because Battery Widget is quick and it tells me whether it is charging at USB or AC instantaneously when the Nook is plugged into something. However, Battery Monitor Widget is a powerful tool to monitor and record (graphs) the current and I can literally see the charge / discharge current over time after it is plugged in for a while.

#3 - See below for two web links that explain and show you how to modify iPad chargers.

http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/icharge.html

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81415

If you find the above information helpful, please hit the "Thanks" button.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheBigDogz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Intruder7s
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Thanks very much mate! I'm waiting for a charger I ordered from ebay and I'll try to get the 2A it says it's output is. If I have any more questions or something I will let you know!
Thanks a lot for your time
The Following User Says Thank You to Intruder7s For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]