First smartphone, utterly lost

21st April 2012, 09:55 AM   |  #11  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
I just noticed that if I do things that are supposed to conserve battery power, they use up more. Switching to 2g only, turning off wifi, etc. I lost 5% in one hour doing that, but when I turned everything back on, I only lost 1% in one hour.

In any case, the battery seems to be doing a little better than yesterday, maybe I just have to drain/charge it a few more times to sort it out? Has anyone else ever had similar problems before?
22nd April 2012, 11:07 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 4

66 posts
Gavin, I'm a new smart phone user too and have the same phone from windmobile and the first thing I noticed about the phone was how quickly the battery can drain. I thought it was defective or something but no, that's how it is. Mine would be dead from a full charge in less than 14 hours and that's without any usage, which is shocking and made me consider cancelling my plan. I do have data running however. Anyway, there are a bunch of apps available that can preserve the battery life. I've tried 3 or 4 and the last one (just found it 2 days ago from the Play Store) is the best by far. It's called "battery defender". I fully charged my phone yesterday and after a whole day (24 hrs) I checked the battery status and it showed 90% left (the app adds a battery icon that shows % left). Pretty damn good for a phone that used to be dead in less than 14 hours. I'm extremely happy. You can also try "juice defender" (the first app I tried) but that will probably give you 2 1/2 days on a full charge, which isn't bad.

BTW, draining and charging the batt won't do much if anything at all and in fact it ISN'T recommended that you let it drain below 20%.

Check out those apps and download one. They're free and they DO work. Also, get yourself a car batt charger too and maybe an extra battery.
Last edited by Electroman365; 22nd April 2012 at 11:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Electroman365 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2012, 02:26 AM   |  #13  
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 656

2,235 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinGill

I just noticed that if I do things that are supposed to conserve battery power, they use up more. Switching to 2g only, turning off wifi, etc. I lost 5% in one hour doing that, but when I turned everything back on, I only lost 1% in one hour.

In any case, the battery seems to be doing a little better than yesterday, maybe I just have to drain/charge it a few more times to sort it out? Has anyone else ever had similar problems before?

No need to repeat cycling the battery. You can maybe do it once every 2 months and that's plenty for Lithium Ions.

Electroman is right. Optimum charging cycles go rom discharging only to 20%, then charging back up to 80%. And repeat.

About your battery being worse when you actually disabled your network stuff. I'm thinking you have apps or widgets that are configured to update every so often. And with the network out, they keep on refreshing themselves.

I personally didn't see huge gains from Juice Defender, but those batt saving apps are definitely worth a try.
The Following User Says Thank You to salisbury_steak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2012, 02:41 AM   |  #14  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 82

463 posts
More
Wonder if wind is putting any dodgy apps on the phone that use battery up?

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Mungulz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th April 2012, 02:41 AM   |  #15  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
@ Elecktroman: Thanks, I'll give Battery Defender a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salisbury_steak

Optimum charging cycles go rom discharging only to 20%, then charging back up to 80%.

That's good to know. Why is it best to stop at 80% though? Just curious. .-.
24th April 2012, 06:32 AM   |  #16  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 82

463 posts
More
Quote:

Cuz the voltage gets high and reduces the life of the battery. Sort of an increase in MAH at the risk of overcharging and slowly killing the battery. 20-80% is ideal but **** that!

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Mungulz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th April 2012, 08:34 PM   |  #17  
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 656

2,235 posts
More
Quote:

Mungulz actually gave a pretty good summary. For more details though, you can check out this Lifehacker article:

http://lifehacker.com/5875162/how-of...g-its-lifespan

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Optimus 2x General by ThreadRank