XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Development process

Tip us?

webfrm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default Development process

OK so I'm really not sure why all the Galaxy S2s have ICS but the T-mobile version. So my question is who's responsible to develop the version for the T989, Samsung or T-mobile? I don't understand why the ATT version and the international version have had their ICS for so long and we have to work on porting a version. So if someone has knowledge as to the development cycle of software upgrades and who's responsible (carrier, manufacturer, Google) to get a version out to the phone can you let me know.

born2gethard
Old
Thanks Meter 151
Samsung builds it, T-Mobile tests it and adds their BS. Atleast that's my understanding

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to born2gethard For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

icenight89
Old
Thanks Meter 702

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2gethard View Post
Samsung builds it, T-Mobile tests it and adds their BS. Atleast that's my understanding

that is correct, for all carriers. Samsung releases touchwizzed stock ics with Samsung bloat, Carriers add more bloat, then OTA/send it to your phone
The Following User Says Thank You to icenight89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hazard99
Old
Thanks Meter 74
The sprint and att versions are closer to the international version than ours are. Which allows them to get ports faster.

International is powered by the exynos soc
Tmobile version is powered by the qualcomm soc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium
samsung blackjack
Apple iphone 1
Htc G1
Htc Hd2
Samsung Vibrant
Lg g2x
Samsung gs2
Nexus 4

android is passion
The Following User Says Thank You to hazard99 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xsteven77x
Old
Thanks Meter 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard99 View Post
The sprint and att versions are closer to the international version than ours are. Which allows them to get ports faster.

International is powered by the exynos soc
Tmobile version is powered by the qualcomm soc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium
Basically ours is powered by **** and the other ones are powered by good ones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xsteven77x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hazard99
Old
Thanks Meter 74
They made a decision to give us an soc that had higher theoretical download speeds.

The note skyrocket and ours got screwed because they thought download speed was more important.

I cant be mad because I bought the phone knowing what soc it had.
It was either that or the amaze 4g.
samsung blackjack
Apple iphone 1
Htc G1
Htc Hd2
Samsung Vibrant
Lg g2x
Samsung gs2
Nexus 4

android is passion
The Following User Says Thank You to hazard99 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

webfrm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default Thanks

Well thank you for all the information. So if Samsung is busy working on getting the Galaxy S III out then I guess it might be a while since ours is crap. I bought the T-Mobile version for two reasons:

1) Faster downloads (I get 12-14 megs /sec) so I was told that was faster than ATT would provide.
2) There is no overage charges.

So if I exceed my monthly cap my bill doesn't go up and next month it will reset back to 4G speed; I can live with a few days of slower speed if needed. Basically the T989 version is crappier and I'd been better off buying an international version off the internet instead of buying the phone from T-mobile. For example I went to Corning's site and thought it had Gorilla Glass too. I found out by researching XDA that indeed it doesn't. Well I guess I'm stuck for 2 years now. Really wish I had known that what I was purchasing was the stepchild version.

Thanks you everyone for explaining the issue. Guess I'll keep looking for a good ICS ROM on the forums.
Phones
TOUCH PRO
NEXUS ONE
GALAXY S II
The Following User Says Thank You to webfrm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

charlieb620
Old
Thanks Meter 1904
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsteven77x View Post
Basically ours is powered by **** and the other ones are powered by good ones.

Haha sad but true.
DEV M8