Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,725 Members 37,898 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

After Update Lumina keeps launching search/voice search

Tip us?

eknutson
Old
Thanks Meter 25
*sigh* started happening to me a couple of days ago. Very annoying and at times unusable. Wish I knew if it was HW or SW so I could figure out what action to take.

ohyamon
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I know its pain and a last resort, but have any of you tried a hard reset. This should generally be done after any system update as it usually fixes most software glitches that might occurr. It just takes time to reinstall your apps and you lose your texts, but its still better than having all of those little irritating issues and if it works it saves the hassles of returning the phone.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
Tandy TRS80-->Cingular 8525-->ATT Fuze

foxbat121
Old
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyamon View Post
I know its pain and a last resort, but have any of you tried a hard reset.
Yes, I did it and has no effect. These button issues are hardware problem as I suspected. They may or may not be worked around by a firmware (but tweaking the way how those button press are registered) change. Hard reset can only resolve issues in general OS level. This is purely firmware level problem.

The real solutioin here is to exchange the phone. I will do it tomorrow. Finding a store who has the phone (especially the Cyan one) in store is the chanllenge.

ohfoxxxycole
Old
Thanks Meter 1
this is annoying but it only happens when the speaker is playing anything (music, games, video, etc)
support are aware of the problem and are working on it

hx4700 Killer
Old
Thanks Meter 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohfoxxxycole View Post
this is annoying but it only happens when the speaker is playing anything (music, games, video, etc)
support are aware of the problem and are working on it
Interesting, any other tips on how to trigger? I upgraded my phone myself and have played games that use the speaker but havent seen a problem.

Asus Transformer Infinity TF700T

Asus Transformer Prime TF201 - Now in my daughtes hands

Former Devices: HTC One X 16GB, Nokia Lumia 900, Samsung Focus, Dell Venue Pro (for 2 weeks), Tilt 2, Fuze, Tilt, HP HX4700

ohyamon
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I had a case on my Titan that was the cause of similar issues. The rubber around the bottom of my screen was creating all sorts of problems but mostly not registering my inputs. I just changed cases and all problems went away. Just a thought...

Tandy TRS80-->Cingular 8525-->ATT Fuze

eknutson
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyamon View Post
I had a case on my Titan that was the cause of similar issues. The rubber around the bottom of my screen was creating all sorts of problems but mostly not registering my inputs. I just changed cases and all problems went away. Just a thought...

Very interesting thought, and worth a try! So, I took off my Case-Mate case from the AT&T store - but I was able to recreate the issue =/

What I found, doesn't rule out the case, either!

I could fairly regularly get the issue to occur by lightly touching (not pressing) both the volume rocker and the power button on the side. This was very interesting because I had been paying particular attention to the bottom buttons figuring they were being touched - but my fingers were nowhere near them. I'll continue investigating and tell people what I find, if anything.

I'm going to a 'Behind the Tiles' event tonight, maybe I'll even get a chance to bring up the issue, just to see if anyone there has any insight.

jimski
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
Yes, I did it and has no effect. These button issues are hardware problem as I suspected. They may or may not be worked around by a firmware (but tweaking the way how those button press are registered) change. Hard reset can only resolve issues in general OS level. This is purely firmware level problem.

The real solutioin here is to exchange the phone. I will do it tomorrow. Finding a store who has the phone (especially the Cyan one) in store is the chanllenge.
So firmware is now hardware? Didn't know that. Always though firmware was software.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
AT&T Nokia Lumia 900 - Black - OS; 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084

AT&T HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502

foxbat121
Old
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimski View Post
So firmware is now hardware? Didn't know that. Always though firmware was software.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
The firmware here refers to the very low level stuff (like the BIOS on your PC). It is not part of OS but tightly related to the hardware it supports. For example, the camera has its own firmware. wifi/BT chips have their own firmware. Here the capacitive buttons have its own firmware (much like PC keyboard has its own firmware as part of keyboard hardware) that interprets capacitive touches on those buttons into button clicks for the system.

Anyway, I exchanged my phone today and the new phone has none of the issues I experienced before. So for those of you have the issue, exchange your phone ASAP. 30-day is quickly approaching.

I have to try two different AT&T stores to find one in stock for exchange.

eknutson
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Talked to several MS folks at a 'Behind the Tiles' event last night, all of them said to return the phone and exchange it for a new one. That behavior isn't normal nor is it being addressed by MS or Nokia (that they know of).