Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

[Q] How do I pull files from the stock ROM?

OP Hizpanick

20th April 2012, 07:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

41 posts
I rooted my phone and installed a mod for the e-mail application. I made sure to make a copy of the original email.apk in case I wanted to go back. Well, I didn't realize the mod had a deodexed apk of the e-mail app so I forgot to make a backup of the odex file and the mod deleted the original odex file. I downloaded the stock ROM from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1391174

Is there anyway I can pull the e-mail.apk and e-mail.odex from this ROM so I can push it back to my phone?
20th April 2012, 07:22 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 220

394 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hizpanick

I rooted my phone and installed a mod for the e-mail application. I made sure to make a copy of the original email.apk in case I wanted to go back. Well, I didn't realize the mod had a deodexed apk of the e-mail app so I forgot to make a backup of the odex file and the mod deleted the original odex file. I downloaded the stock ROM from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1391174

Is there anyway I can pull the e-mail.apk and e-mail.odex from this ROM so I can push it back to my phone?

If you look through that stock rom, the email.apk and it's corresponding odex is in /system/app
20th April 2012, 07:34 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoft1

If you look through that stock rom, the email.apk and it's corresponding odex is in /system/app

Thanks! How do I look through the stock rom? I've tried using ext2explore, but I am not able to access the files in the rom.
21st April 2012, 01:01 AM   |  #4  
Flag College Station
Thanks Meter: 170

851 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks! How do I look through the stock rom? I've tried using ext2explore, but I am not able to access the files in the rom.

Aevyou trying to view the rom files you downloaded through your phone? If so you can't you have to do that on a pc. If you're trying to view system files then root explorer will do fine
21st April 2012, 01:09 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeopard

Aevyou trying to view the rom files you downloaded through your phone? If so you can't you have to do that on a pc. If you're trying to view system files then root explorer will do fine

I downloaded SGH-T989_TMB_1_T989UVKL1_CL799405_REV00.rar, which contained system.img (508MB) and T989UVKL1_HOME_SGH-T989user_CL799405_REV00.tar.md5 (574MB). Can I open these files with my PC and extract e-mail.apk and e-mail.odex? If so, what program do I use? If not, how can i retrieve the files I want from them?
21st April 2012, 01:35 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 220

394 posts
Quote:

I downloaded SGH-T989_TMB_1_T989UVKL1_CL799405_REV00.rar, which contained system.img (508MB) and T989UVKL1_HOME_SGH-T989user_CL799405_REV00.tar.md5 (574MB). Can I open these files with my PC and extract e-mail.apk and e-mail.odex? If so, what program do I use? If not, how can i retrieve the files I want from them?

Okay since it's a tar file its a bit more complicated. DO you have a nandroid of your rom before you replaced the email app? If so, backup your current rom, restore to your old backup, go to /system/app and copy the odex file to your sd card. Then restore to your new backup and put the odex file back in /system/app.
21st April 2012, 01:59 AM   |  #7  
Flag College Station
Thanks Meter: 170

851 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

If its an .img you should be able to mount it. Are you if using linux or Mac you should be able to mount without any additional software but if using windows you will have to extract or fund software that will mount drive images on the pc
22nd April 2012, 08:02 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

41 posts
OK, so I figured out how to do this.

First, I went to this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=41
I downloaded the Convert_sgs2img.exe util file and pointed it to system.img. I then was able to open the converted img file using Linux Reader http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ by mounting it within the program. I was then able to get any file I wanted!
23rd April 2012, 03:23 AM   |  #9  
Flag Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Meter: 1,930

13,277 posts
More
When I want certain apks I go through root explorer and just copy/paste. Seems to be the easiest way. You can do that or adb pull.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread