Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,436 Members 45,276 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM][Beta][CM9][9/28/12] Galaxy Exhibit 4G

Tip us?

jocala
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2003

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeeff View Post
Thanks Jocala. Is a Romwipe required when the kernal changes as well? I noticed that the 4/21 build had the kernal updated, and assumed that a full Romwipe was required.
No, the kernel is stored in its own location and is freshly written with each installation.
The Following User Says Thank You to jocala For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Faultyy
Old
(Last edited by Faultyy; 22nd April 2012 at 11:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 34
Nevermind.

ninjames
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Does this rom ... disable HSPA+ or whatever by default? I downloaded Barnacle to tether my computer while my internet is down and after pairing my laptop, I switched from 3G to H, and a speedtest (on my phone) confirmed that it was much better than what is usual at 3G - I almost never see H. Does it only enable when it thinks I need it or something, and is there a way I can make it to where it's always going to that by default?

cmikeh2
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjames View Post
Does this rom ... disable HSPA+ or whatever by default? I downloaded Barnacle to tether my computer while my internet is down and after pairing my laptop, I switched from 3G to H, and a speedtest (on my phone) confirmed that it was much better than what is usual at 3G - I almost never see H. Does it only enable when it thinks I need it or something, and is there a way I can make it to where it's always going to that by default?
There are some posts earlier in the thread that describe this but the short of it is that most ROMs only use the higher speed radio when necessary but the user is unaware of it because it generally will show the same icon. On the stock ROM you can go into about phone and you will be able to see that you are normally on UMTS which is what this ROM defines as 3g.

For future reference, please search the thread before asking a question because this is dealt with elsewhere (e.g. the OP). I don't want you to not ask questions but please double check first.

Edit: You would have to edit the firmware of the radio or some files deep in the OS to change the behavior of the radio.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using XDA
Phone: Nexus 4
ROM: AOKP Project Unicorn Butter (Fudgyeah) Krait
Kernel: Trinity Kernel 92G
Bootloader: Unlocked

Past Phones: Galaxy Exhibit (AOKP M6), Multiple Dumbphones

Halmoni
Old
Thanks Meter 0
First of all, nice work so far on CM9, the progress has been great!
Major issue: On this build, there have been occasional screen flickering issues in the lock screen, which can be annoying and irritating to the eyes.
Minor issue: While I can enable my Apple bluetooth keyboard on GB roms, I can not on CM9. I can pair the HID keyboard with CM9, but for some reason typing does not register on the screen.
Thank you developers for all you are doing!

ikaritensi
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Did you get Barnacle to work? I have been trying to get it to work for weeks to no avail.

cmikeh2
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaritensi View Post
Did you get Barnacle to work? I have been trying to get it to work for weeks to no avail.
It's working for me on the most recent build although I've only tethered to my iPod so far.

ninjames
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmikeh2 View Post
There are some posts earlier in the thread that describe this but the short of it is that most ROMs only use the higher speed radio when necessary but the user is unaware of it because it generally will show the same icon. On the stock ROM you can go into about phone and you will be able to see that you are normally on UMTS which is what this ROM defines as 3g.

For future reference, please search the thread before asking a question because this is dealt with elsewhere (e.g. the OP). I don't want you to not ask questions but please double check first.

Edit: You would have to edit the firmware of the radio or some files deep in the OS to change the behavior of the radio.

I did search, but searching only covered the first part of my question and nothing about Barnacle. That was the circumstances in which I noticed a difference - so I asked about it.

cmikeh2
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
I did search, but searching only covered the first part of my question and nothing about Barnacle. That was the circumstances in which I noticed a difference - so I asked about it.
My bad then. Sorry if it seemed as if I was angry with you. Did my response adequately cover your question?

wilson pickett
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaritensi View Post
to use barnacle with a windows based system,you need to change the mtu settings from 1500 to 1476.i personally tether daily,using the portable hot spot.in fact the main reason i have this particular phone is to use as a high speed internet device in conjuction with tmobile's 30$,5gb plan.it's the cheapest 4g phone there is.
you may also need to set barnacle to adhoc.