Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,395 Members 48,351 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AT&T Captivate be used without data?

Tip us?

pjd2011
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default AT&T Captivate be used without data?

Is there a way I can use this phone without having to pay the data fees? If I sim unlock it, maybe?

ttimjer
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I think that you can do that but only if you unlock the device

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA

korockinout13
Old
Thanks Meter 521

DONATE TO ME
I could easily be proven wrong, but I think I heard somebody say that they won't know unless you connect to their data network.
Nexus 5 16GB on T-Mobile: CM11 / Android L + TWRP || Nexus 7 2012 32GB: Stock 4.4 + Xposed + franco + TWRP
Nexus 4 (cracked & sold)|AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII i777 (sold)|AT&T Samsung Galaxy S Captivate i897 (sold)

All in One Guide for Samsung i897 Captivate, i9000 Galaxy S
Get extra space on Copy or Dropbox with a new account!

Red_81
Old
Thanks Meter 620

DONATE TO ME
Not to mention that if the device identifies to the tower as a smartphone (IMEI) then I believe AT&T will automatically add the data plan to your account
ADB Portable
If you like the files please donate

Forum Rule #10: Help others if you can.

Currently Running: ShoStock on my S4

bravomail
Old
Thanks Meter 338
Disabling data from settings works. WiFi will be working too. And you can ask ppl on AT&T end to disable any data, even on-demand pay-per-use charges.
Author of Nostalgia 8 for ATT SGS3, 1.5, 2.3 and 4.0.4 ICS ROMs for Samsung Captivate. ROM and APK compressor.

fadinglionhart
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I've heard that it's possible to backup and erase your efs folder so that you appear to have a generic imei number. By using a generic imei number, AT&T will not know you have a Captivate and you can request for them to turn off data on their end.

Dave the Knave
Old
Thanks Meter 348

DONATE TO ME
Just as a heads up, disabling data on the phone itself will also disable your ability to send and receive MMS messages. SMS will still send fine however. That's how its always been for me unless things have changed. Someone else feel free to chime in on this.

Sent from my Captivate
Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-i747
Task650 AOKP Build 7/20/2013b
JB 4.2.2
Primary Phone

Samsung Captivate SGH-i897 Build #1012
AOKP Milestone 6
ICS 4.0.4
Backup Phone

Reading XDA makes me want to slam my head against a wall after just 5 minutes.

korockinout13
Old
Thanks Meter 521

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadinglionhart View Post
I've heard that it's possible to backup and erase your efs folder so that you appear to have a generic imei number. By using a generic imei number, AT&T will not know you have a Captivate and you can request for them to turn off data on their end.
Yes and no. You would get the Galaxy S generic IMEI, so they would still know. That still doesn't mean they will contact you about it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miztaken1312 View Post
Just as a heads up, disabling data on the phone itself will also disable your ability to send and receive MMS messages. SMS will still send fine however. That's how its always been for me unless things have changed. Someone else feel free to chime in on this.

Sent from my Captivate
Unfortunate but so true
Nexus 5 16GB on T-Mobile: CM11 / Android L + TWRP || Nexus 7 2012 32GB: Stock 4.4 + Xposed + franco + TWRP
Nexus 4 (cracked & sold)|AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII i777 (sold)|AT&T Samsung Galaxy S Captivate i897 (sold)

All in One Guide for Samsung i897 Captivate, i9000 Galaxy S
Get extra space on Copy or Dropbox with a new account!

OKAstro
Old
Thanks Meter 68
I wish AT&T offered more Data plan options

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

...especially a family plan. They do it for Texts and minutes...why not for data?

jmtheiss
Old
Thanks Meter 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKAstro View Post
I wish AT&T offered more Data plan options

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

...especially a family plan. They do it for Texts and minutes...why not for data?
I would guess because 4 data plans at $30/plan is a lot more money for them than 4 people sharing one data plan at, say, $60.

Just my two cents, though.