5,599,478 Members 38,269 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] SD Partition for Encryption Unsuccessful (ICS Bug)

Tip us?

silvercrown266
Old
(Last edited by silvercrown266; 23rd April 2012 at 12:52 AM.)
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnerkof View Post
Using the PC, I put the update.zip on a 2gb sd card and then tried to apply update.zip through recovery menu, but not only it didn't work, as well it deleted all the sd content (it only tries to apply the update.zip from /sdcard/; not from /emmc/ and I don't have the option to do this either). Looks like I'm out of ideas of what to do now.
You must copy 2 files, the update.zip and ICS Passion Rom (download link in the OP)
- Go into recovery
- Apply/ Flash update.zip until you see the new Recovery
- If you don't see the new recovery flash it again, until you see it. You won't be able to go forward without seeing the new recovery (CWM recovery)...
- If you successfully flashed the new recovery, flash the ICS Rom and continue with the steps as stated in the OP...
The Following User Says Thank You to silvercrown266 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jasonhunterx
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Default Vibrant

What if your phone doesnt even start up an it just boot loop

fagnerkof
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merio90 View Post
Just so you know the update.zip is CWM recovery. If you still have access to CWM just proceed as i mentioned in the first post and create the partition. Also since you have a just a 2gb sd card i recommend you use a smaller size than 2gb when creating the partition. Otherwise you will have no space at all so save music etc. You should get a larger sd card.

Open odin and reflash the 2.2 tar listed in the first post. Once it has finished flashing. Copy the update.zip if you already haven't. Power off your phone. Enter recovery using the 3 button combo. Once stock recovery shows up hit reinstall packages until it finally installs. Then proceed to create the partition. Then follow the rest of the steps in the guide.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
I did exactly this, but one thing that appaears different for me from the guide is that in the 3rd step:
"3. Once your phone boots up and is setup copy CWM update.zip to the root of your external SD card. Do this by selecting the "mount usb storage" option in the notification bar."

So, when I reboot after flashing this eugene rom, I can't mount the external sd, even if i open the notification bar, select the option to mount usb storage and it shows that usb is plugged/mounted (droid turns from green to orange) I get no sd access on PC (neither in phone), the drive don't show as if had any space, formatting options... nothing. But, when inserting the sd himself on the PC I can access it normally, showing that the sd is working ok. So, with the PC I put update.zip and the ICS rom (passion v13) on sd root, reinserting the sd on phone and getting into the stock recovery, I hit "reinstall packages" many times and keep getting the message:
"E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or Directory)
Installation aborted."

Is the problem that I'm getting in the 3rd step related to this? I'm trying with 2 cards, one with 2gb and other with 16gb and the reinstall packages isn't working.

---------- Post added at 02:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercrown266 View Post
You must copy 2 files, the update.zip and ICS Passion Rom (download link in the OP)
- Go into recovery
- Apply/ Flash update.zip until you see the new Recovery
- If you don't see the new recovery flash it again, until you see it. You won't be able to go forward without seeing the new recovery (CWM recovery)...
- If you successfully flashed the new recovery, flash the ICS Rom and continue with the steps as stated in the OP...
The option to "Apply/ Flash update.zip" appears on the recovery menu of the Lidroid rom that I can odin flash too, but this one doesn't boot (and the guide says to use the eugene, anyway), ang trying to "apply update.zip"/"reinstall packages" I get the same error (no file found in /sdcard etc.)

silvercrown266
Old
(Last edited by silvercrown266; 23rd April 2012 at 04:45 AM.)
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnerkof View Post
I did exactly this, but one thing that appaears different for me from the guide is that in the 3rd step:
"3. Once your phone boots up and is setup copy CWM update.zip to the root of your external SD card. Do this by selecting the "mount usb storage" option in the notification bar."

So, when I reboot after flashing this eugene rom, I can't mount the external sd, even if i open the notification bar, select the option to mount usb storage and it shows that usb is plugged/mounted (droid turns from green to orange) I get no sd access on PC (neither in phone), the drive don't show as if had any space, formatting options... nothing. But, when inserting the sd himself on the PC I can access it normally, showing that the sd is working ok. So, with the PC I put update.zip and the ICS rom (passion v13) on sd root, reinserting the sd on phone and getting into the stock recovery, I hit "reinstall packages" many times and keep getting the message:
"E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or Directory)
Installation aborted."

Is the problem that I'm getting in the 3rd step related to this? I'm trying with 2 cards, one with 2gb and other with 16gb and the reinstall packages isn't working.[COLOR="Silver"]
I think you did the right thing copying the update.zip and ICS Rom using your PC SD card reader. (That's what i did too)
One question though... did your phone boot properly after you installed Eugene Rom? Because it should.
I would say use your 16gb sd card all throughout the process, to avoid confusion.
There's no reason that i know of why your phone cannot do the reinstall packages. Be sure that update.zip file is save on your sd card.
And try to do install zip on your recovery and select update.zip (like you do when you flash a Rom)
Your phone should do some process and would show you the CWM recovery, if not do it again and by this time CWM should show up.
And proceed with the rest of the steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnerkof
The option to "Apply/ Flash update.zip" appears on the recovery menu of the Lidroid rom that I can odin flash too, but this one doesn't boot (and the guide says to use the eugene, anyway), ang trying to "apply update.zip"/"reinstall packages" I get the same error (no file found in /sdcard etc.)
I would suggest to just go by with the steps shown in the OP, i think using Eugenes Rom is enough to get you out of this trouble, forget about Lindroid rom, it will just muddle the process.
The Following User Says Thank You to silvercrown266 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Merio90
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or Directory)
Installation aborted

This error basically says it all. Make sure that you have copied the update.zip 1.762mb to the root of your sd card. Copy that file and make sure it is not in any subfolders but the root of your sd card. Once you have copied the update.zip hit reinstall packages in stock recovery.

If you still get the error flash to stock 2.1 jfd via odin (make sure Re-partition is checked in odin). Enter stock recovery using the 3 button combo and hit reinstall packages again until it eventually installs. Otherwise flash eguenes 2.2 froyo (Re-partition checked) and try again. I don't know what else to tell you. You may be the first one who has encountered this error when trying to install CWM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Merio90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fagnerkof
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercrown266 View Post
I think you did the right thing copying the update.zip and ICS Rom using your PC SD card reader. (That's what i did too)
One question though... did your phone boot properly after you installed Eugene Rom? Because it should.
I would say use your 16gb sd card all throughout the process, to avoid confusion.
There's no reason that i know of why your phone cannot do the reinstall packages. Be sure that update.zip file is save on your sd card.
And try to do install zip on your recovery and select update.zip (like you do when you flash a Rom)
Your phone should do some process and would show you the CWM recovery, if not do it again and by this time CWM should show up.
And proceed with the rest of the steps.

I would suggest to just go by with the steps shown in the OP, i think using Eugenes Rom is enough to get you out of this trouble, forget about Lindroid rom, it will just muddle the process.
Well, I dunno if this inflicts in anything, but when I flash eugene (checked repartition and reboot, not resettime)
it reboots automatically in recovery, I see no problem since hitting 'reboot' make the phone boots ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merio90 View Post
E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or Directory)
Installation aborted

This error basically says it all. Make sure that you have copied the update.zip 1.762mb to the root of your sd card. Copy that file and make sure it is not in any subfolders but the root of your sd card. Once you have copied the update.zip hit reinstall packages in stock recovery.

If you still get the error flash to stock 2.1 jfd via odin (make sure Re-partition is checked in odin). Enter stock recovery using the 3 button combo and hit reinstall packages again until it eventually installs. Otherwise flash eguenes 2.2 froyo (Re-partition checked) and try again. I don't know what else to tell you. You may be the first one who has encountered this error when trying to install CWM.
I'm very sure that both the update.zip (link from OP) and a zip of ics ROM are in the root of sd card. Looks like my device is taking the /sdcard as the internal memory only, not as the external like most users here did. I'll try with the stock 2.1 for testing, Just FYI this 2.1 stock isn't booting after flash, but worth try to see if this could get me past the update/reinstall.

Sent from my UTV210 using XDA

Jasonhunterx
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Question ???

I cant even odin back to stock can anyone help me plzz!!

Woody
Old
Moderator & RC/RT Committees - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron
Thanks Meter 7585
See your other tread. I posted in there.
<a href=http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif target=_blank rel=nofollow >http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif</a>
ZFFZ

I GPL I

"The work of men of genius, however wrongly directed, hardly ever fails to open the eyes of men to new possibilities."
- Dr. Victor Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)

fagnerkof
Old
(Last edited by fagnerkof; 23rd April 2012 at 08:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 10
Thanks to everyone. I managed to install the CWM, I just found that my device was deleting the external sd content in some moment in odin process...
After odining to eugene (or even jfd 2.1), I was still having a issue with the 3rd step, that says to "selecting the "mount usb storage" option in the notification bar". I did this and still showed that usb is plugged/mounted (droid turns from green to orange) I got no sd access on PC (neither in phone), the drive don't show as if had any space, formatting options... nothing.
So I put the update.zip on sd via PC, and install the CWM. Another thing that was working different for me from the guide is that the "Partition SD Card" option gives me a max size of 1gb, and I got a message of partitioning done and no error, but it tooks only few seconds to get it done, instead of the 5mins described on guide. Ignoring this, I just continued to follow the steps, and installed the ICS that was already in sd card (as wasn't working to put via cable connection). ICS Installing finished ok, but when rebooted... BAM! Encryption Unsuccessful screen again. So, I put the ICS_Passion_v13_cleanup.zip in sd, renamed to update.zip and istalled it in CWM. After doing this, the sd partitioning in advanced option worked properly, taking a few minutes to get done. So I tried to install the ICS rom again, but this time there was noting on my sd card. So I took the card off, put on PC to copy the ICS rom and then rebboted on CWM and flashed it again. After installing done, I got ICS booting properly, and then it did well all the steps to the end. Now its in the 2gb for system + 13gb for using (as I'm using a 16gb sd).

(tl;dr: After many tries, got the OP steps to work - but everyone that is still facing problems on the steps should read this)

Now, I can just hope for Merio90 or another people here find how to access the encrypted internal memory again. I wonder if adb partitioning or even partitioning apps work, and if not, why...

jej428
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Just wanted to say thanks for the help and creating this post. Got my phone back after working on it the last 2 nights.

Samsung Vibrant
ROM: Onyx with Voodoo

TEAM WHISKEY:
http://www.teamwhiskey.com/